Jump to content

Other images in Fossildude's Purchased/Gift Fossils

Latest acquisition - fossil capelin

Fossildude19

Fossil fish nodule from the Lower Pleistocene of South West Greenland.

Mallotus villosus.

 



From the album

Fossildude's Purchased/Gift Fossils

  • 45 images
  • 2 comments
  • 115 image comments

Photo Information for Latest acquisition - fossil capelin

Taken with NIKON COOLPIX L830

  • 6.1 mm
  • 10/1000
  • f f/3.3
  • ISO 125
View all photo EXIF information

12 Comments

Recommended Comments

Very cool!

Quite a long time ago I posted about this species from the very late Pleistocene Champlain Sea deposits.  I knew it was found in similar nodules in Greenland, but I did not know they were early Pleistocene. That makes them about 2 million years older than the Champlain Sea specimens.

 

Don

Share this comment


Link to comment
Fossildude19

Posted

1 minute ago, FossilDAWG said:

Very cool!

Quite a long time ago I posted about this species from the very late Pleistocene Champlain Sea deposits.  I knew it was found in similar nodules in Greenland, but I did not know they were early Pleistocene. That makes them about 2 million years older than the Champlain Sea specimens.

 

Don

Don,

I am going by what I am seeing online (fossilmall). 

I am having trouble locating any kind of papers on these nodules.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of information out there.  :( 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Very cool little fish!  Did it come with the 'top' piece of rock?  and where can I get one? 

 

RB

Share this comment


Link to comment
Fossildude19

Posted

15 minutes ago, RJB said:

Very cool little fish!  Did it come with the 'top' piece of rock?

 

RB

Ron,  ...  I messaged the seller, and he didn't have the counter part. :( 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Fossildude19

Posted

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations Tim on a beautiful fish fossil specimen.

Thanks, Jeff. :) 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Quite the dapper fellow, centered nicely in a nodule just for you :) congrats! 

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 7/18/2018 at 8:33 AM, Fossildude19 said:

  I messaged the seller, and he didn't have the counter part. :(

Thats too bad, but still a really cool little fish.  I find myself schrolling back up just to get another look at it.  Love the verts on this thing too. 

 

RB

Share this comment


Link to comment
Fossildude19

Posted

On 7/19/2018 at 4:52 PM, Ludwigia said:

Great acquisition!

 

On 7/20/2018 at 2:29 PM, JimB88 said:

wow! Thats a nice one Tim!

Thanks, guys! 

It pays to shop around, sometimes. :) 

Share this comment


Link to comment
×