Jeffrey P

:default_faint:

Wow Jeff! Great display cases and specimens!

Your labels are awesome and make me painfully aware that I need to work on mine.

Good job!  :default_clap2:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

You did a fine job with your displays. Knowing what is involved to have a home large enough for display cases, paying for the cases, all the time in the field finding the specimens, preparing the fossils and even researching the most current names of the fossils to make labels, is a labor of love. Indulge yourself with some "atta boy", "well done" pats on the back. 

• I found this Informative 1

Wow Jeff, absolutely amazing! I would call that a definite, labor of love!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Gasp! You've got a jaw-dropping display, Jeff.  Does your museum have a gift shop too?  

• I found this Informative 2

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Heckuva collection you've got there Jeffrey...I'm impressed with your museum quality display...good work!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

My small collection of Mesozoic and Cenozoic plants including Jurassic plants from Connecticut and petrified wood from New Mexico:

IMG_6898.JPG

• I found this Informative 11
  • Enjoyed 1

And lastly my Paleozoic plants: A couple Devonian lycopods plus a number of Lewellyn Formation (Carboniferous) from Pennsylvania and some ones I collected recently in Kentucky:

IMG_6899.JPG

• I found this Informative 12
  • Enjoyed 1

So that's the new display display case. Let me emphasize this is a work in progress. I hope to add new specimens in the future, etc. Glad to share it would all of you. 

• I found this Informative 3

You could charge admission!  Obviously a labor of love.  :wub: :wub: :envy: :wub: :wub:  You've set a high bar for the rest of us.

Don

11 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

And my small collection of amphibian, reptile (primarily marine), and mammal fossils:

IMG_6897.JPG

Great collection and so well displayed. 

What is the row of prints at the top left? That looks great-- really well defined.

13 minutes ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Great collection and so well displayed. 

What is the row of prints at the top left? That looks great-- really well defined.

I think the ID card there says

Laoporus sp.

Permian

Coconino Sandstone

10 minutes ago, Misha said:

I think the ID card there says

Laoporus sp.

Permian

Coconino Sandstone

Cheers. I couldnt make it out on my phone

Great collection and display! Even more amazing is that all those fantastic specimens fit into a medium-sized display case. An enlightened absolutist monarch would be proud to have it in their study:)

Jeff, 

As the others have said - beautifully displayed collection. 

Thanks so much for giving me the honor of being the first to see it displayed in person. 

It was really a treat for me, that I was the first to see it.

It really is an amazing display of an amazing collection!  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

As a generalist, your eclectic, yet organized displays resonate with me.  

In my Ikea displays, dust finds a way to creep in around door gaps.  After this round of dusting, it may be time to apply weather stripping.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wonderfully curated and displayed collection.  Amazing how one, seemingly insignificant specimen, takes on a whole new meaning when properly prepared, curated, and displayed!  Nicely done...Ken

Great display, mine are mostly full of glass and paperweights. I have seen a few used curio cabinets at garage sales and thrift store over the years. Please tell more about your labels? I mostly  use M.S. Works with Avery Label downloaded software, on plain printer paper. Then use a paper cutter to cut to size. Thanks

Sweeeeeettttt!!! I've been looking forward to seeing this display completed for a while now and it was definitely worth the wait!

A great fossil hunter deserves a great display and this certainly qualifies! I'm looking forward to our next dig and hopefully, you'll be able to add some great stuff to your collection in the very, very near future!!

:)

On 11/28/2020 at 1:11 PM, Ludwigia said:

Looks great @Jeffrey P! You have quite a variety there. You're like me. I'm forced to "specalize" on the local sites, but I'll take any chance I can get to broaden my horizon :D

A couple of spelling corrections for you on a couple of German Ammos: The Ancolioceras opalinoides is from the Murchisonae zone, and the Pleydellia and Cottswoldia from the Jurensismergel Formation.

Hi Roger,

To me the best displays are the ones that specialize on local sites.  Yes, you can go online or go to shows and buy the best ammonites you can and display those.  For some of us that might be the way to go because there might not be even one decent ammonite locality within three hours drive and not much for another couple of hours.  However, if you can visit a few decent localities within your interest and realistic driving radius, you can build a collection of the common forms and find a few rarities over time.  They might not all be world-class quality but you will find something unusually large or small, something else weird, and a few other things to reflect more of the diversity of the locality than you will see at shows.  That's what's impressive to a lot of other collectors especially those that like to find their own stuff.  I had a friend who found tons of stuff on his land.  People he invited to dig with him would bring him fossils from other sites and he truly appreciated the gifts but he really liked what he found himself from the best megalodon to the half of a rare fish bone and even decorated his home display case with manganese nodules he liked the sizes and shapes of. 

I was once at a local mineral/fossil club show.  One of the display cases had a variety of Green River Formation leaves.  It had nice specimens of the common leaves and some partial-complete specimens of the larger or rarer taxa but it all looked great.  It looked like a personal collection of someone who liked digging that general locality.  There was also a fine artwork background insert to show what that part of Wyoming looked like at the time the plants were alive.  I was happy to see that the display won an award.  It certainly deserved one.

Jess

• I found this Informative 2