Cleaning ammonite fragments

FossilHunterNYC

These are ammonite fragments from the duck creek formation in lake a Texoma TX. Any advice on how I can clean them and possibly get rid of all the “matrix” material on the shells? The one on the far left has a decent amount of matrix on it. Some of them have a design on the shell. Forget what it’s called I believe it starts with an f, but anyway I can make it “look better”

5257C774-38D7-474F-BEB1-907F1C0C890D.jpeg

I'd use toothbrushes and needles to remove most of the loose matrix. They all appear limonitic so I'd focus on getting the matrix off with soft and simple methods.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I'd use toothbrushes and needles to remove most of the loose matrix. They all appear limonitic so I'd focus on getting the matrix off with soft and simple methods.

I assume that you mean limy and not limonitic (relating to limonite, an iron compound).

You can also soak them in hydrogen peroxide to get rid of organic and clay matter. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I assume that you mean limy and not limonitic (relating to limonite, an iron compound).

You can also soak them in hydrogen peroxide to get rid of organic and clay matter. 

Yes. I think it's time for bed for me. :default_faint:

14 hours ago, FossilHunterNYC said:

shells

I don´t see much shell, these are essentially inner molds (steinkerns) and some outer molds. 

Soft toothbrush, needles and hydrogen peroxide are indeed the way to go, as already advised. But be gentle and careful - the specimens may become worse in the way of "prepping" them. They are already nice the way they are, but I am rather a "purist" ;).

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

I was thinking the same as Franz - if they are steinkerns as I think they are, there is nothing to remove - the shell is already gone. All I would use is a soft brush to remove any dust or dirt that may be on them, and that's it. The one you interpret as having the most matrix may actually be the most eroded! :unsure:

• Enjoyed 1