Waco Lake Texas Trip For Forum Members

Oh-Man

Grateful Dead....Deep Purple......How are they going to fit with my collection of Bluegrass, and we know that driver comfort is of utmost importance.

Crank up the Del McCoury Band..........

Brian

How about "Old and In the Way"? Jerry Garcia could pick that banjo as well as he could his stratocaster. You won't get any grief from this Deadhead.

I love bluegrass! I can skip the Dead for this field problem and listen to bluegrass all day! Tom

COR353

Also, I thought I was the only one loading up my Navy C-bag with ammonites and dragging them back (literally one time) over a mile to the car.

Sometimes I just hate Texoma...

Texoma? What's that? Never heard of it! Hey,Dan, you ever heard of the place? Tom

COR353

Well Tom, if you can throw in some beach boys then we can really have a party.

Of course, for cruising I prefer some Janis and CCR.

I should mention that I don't have any gray hair despite the musical tastes.

Also, Highway Star by Deep Purple is highly recommended.

We'll look forward to seeing you there - I'll need a vehicle description and lics plates if you're not coming with Dan.

Thanks

O

Hello O

I will be in the vehicle with Dan as far as I know.If that changes,I'll give you my vehicle info immediately but I think that it is a done deal. Dan already told me that the man who is driving says it is okay for me to tag along and I have assured the man behind the wheel that I can forgoe the Grateful Dead for a day and listen to bluegrass until the cows come home.

You and my wife would get along admirably. Her favorites of all time are CCR and Janis. In that order.

I saw Janis only once in New York when she was just another member of Big Brother and the Holding Company. I always liked her-she always gave it her best and her all.She seemed to really love and connect with her audience.A tremendous loss. I recall that it was a very,very sad day for many after they announced her death on the radio that morning.

There were so many lost people, lost causes, and other letdowns going on back then. I've lost count of them.But it's nothing but a fading scene from a waking dream now.

Heck,I even spent seventeen years in the military after it all ended and I vote Republican these days!

Thus sayeth the Grateful Dead,"...what a long,strange trip it's been" How true!

See you in the field, my friend. Great hunting to you! Tom

COR353

It's a long road out of Eden.

In a way, we are a generation of lost idealisms. Then again, that may be true of every generation making trips around the sun.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You can add me to the list. I to will know for sure early next week with work. I just got back in for a 2 week work trip and saw this awesome trip. Bout time us Tx folks get a trip planned.

Anyone know if this site is close?? Mammoth site

Id love to see all those Mammoths.

Oh, the bones! The bones!

You can't go to Waco and not see that!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that the Mayborn Museum was the only place you could see a "reproduction" of the mammoth site.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

And I'm gonna take another guy's advice and bring nothing but knee pads,gloves and a few medicine bottles unless you have anything else to recommend Dan. Great hunting to all! Tom

I also use a small, pointy brick trowel to poke at the ground and to lift small objects.

OK. Spousal approval has been granted.

I'll be alone, in a silver Volvo with a Union Jack front plate. A Brit driving a Swedish car made by Ford! :)

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

I also use a small, pointy brick trowel to poke at the ground and to lift small objects.

Yeah, good idea.Thanks. I have a little pouch with old surgical instruments that I use for prying, digging, scraping, and picking up small objects. I'll bring it along.Tom

COR353

Dr. Tom is a good one to have along. Should one of us get hurt, he's qualified to use his digging tools double duty in practicing a little frontier medicine on us. You bringing the boot leather and whiskey Tom?

And Tracer, you may get a kick out of Tom if you get him wound up; he may just be your philosphical match.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Dr. Tom is a good one to have along. Should one of us get hurt, he's qualified to use his digging tools double duty in practicing a little frontier medicine on us. You bringing the boot leather and whiskey Tom?

And Tracer, you may get a kick out of Tom if you get him wound up; he may just be your philosphical match.

Of course, since I'm the SCFMS Safety Chair I usually carry my own little black bag, too.

Almost had to use it last week when a cotton mouth flared at me from about 4' away. I was very appreciative that it did that instead of just biting me when I stepped on it!

I can give a quick class on pressure wrapping and treating all sorts of bites...

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

In an emergency situation, my arm could be twisted to

perform an ER lobotomy in the field. I will have to be honest here,

and add I have no experience. All I need is a patient, and a dull

knife.

Seriously, good to know some know pressure wrapping, bites etc.

I have a snake bite kit I always take too.

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah sure, boot leather and whiskey. Along with a big bottle of laudinum. Got to bring along the snake oil in case someone loses a leg or wants to go out in style,right?

Philosophy? I don't know,Dan. I never took it much beyond Fellini Satyricon.

COR353

In an emergency situation, my arm could be twisted to

perform an ER lobotomy in the field. I will have to be honest here,

and add I have no experience. All I need is a patient, and a dull

knife.

Seriously, good to know some know pressure wrapping, bites etc.

I have a snake bite kit I always take too.

I don't know about snake bite kits these days. I'd prefer a chopper ride to the nearest facility with a vial or two of antivenom if I take a hit.

I also have a great fondness for reptiles but if I come up on a snake close enough to see slanted eyes or pits under his schnozola, he dies. It won't be a lobotomy. It will be a quick beheading.

Okay,so I'll dress him, roll him up on a stick,cook him and eat him. That way no sins committed.

COR353

It's a long road out of Eden.

In a way, we are a generation of lost idealisms. Then again, that may be true of every generation making trips around the sun.

Yeah,or even around the center of the galaxy for that matter.

COR353

This is a fairly amusing thread, in a mildly dissociative way...

I hope that it's not my fault. I am subject to flights of fancy, streaming of consciousness, and dissociative thought. I will deal with it. This is,after all,a serious field problem that everybody is about to embark on. I wouldn't want to put the whammy on anything!

COR353

What did y'all find? Can't wait to see some pics posted.

The trip is next week; I am hoping for trip pix as well as photos of the finds :)

Maybe Dan can add some pictures of stuff that we should hope to find.

That way we'll know what to look for...

Dan?!? Can you help?

BTW - PERMITS ARE IN HAND so we are all set.

See you all next Saturday!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

I'll be there for sure. I can't hardly wait. Since I'm coming from the farthest away, I expect all you guys to give me the best spots. ;)

I would like to see some photos of what we might find also. I went to Dan's website, but I didn't see anything labled Waco. They were labled good, but I'm not smart enough to figure out what came from that area.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I don't have more than a few photographs of the variety of fossils that can be found in the pit and spillway locations, but I do have a list of those species that have been identified from the Middle Del Rio Formation in McLennan County. I have attached the list here for those that want it. This list was compiled in 2000, so there are probably some name changes and additional species that have been found since then. The fauna is dominated by various molluscs (ammonites, nautiloids, pelecypods and gastropods). Most of the molluscs are preserved only as micromorphic forms and are generally less than 1 inch in length. The oysters, texigryphaeids and pectinids are the molluscs that are not replaced by marcasite. Echinoderms are secondary in abundance and are dominated by echinoids, although asteroids, ophiuroids and crinoids are occasionally found. Most of the echinoderms are calcitic and normally sized although some are partially replaced by marcasite. Marcasitic crabs are present, commonly in groups although they may be found individually also. There are also a number of shark teeth and other marine vertebrate material present. The molluscs are more or less present throughout the exposures whereas the echinoids occur more in zones. If one echinoid is found, there are likely more nearby. Also look for slabs of ophiuroids and asteroids. as they are generally found in clusters. There are also small slabs of tiny juvenile Goniophorus echinoids preserved on beds of spines.

Regards,

Mike

DRFAUNA_list_only.DOC