Waco Lake Texas Trip For Forum Members

Oh-Man

Since i've never been to this pit, I guess I better ask. Do I need anything special, such as hard hard, steel boots, saftey vest??

With this bunch of Texans, hip boots may prove indispensable :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Since i've never been to this pit, I guess I better ask. Do I need anything special, such as hard hard, steel boots, saftey vest??

I just wear hiking boots, no hard hat needed. Don't think you would need a hunting vest since the COE's knows we

will be there. Don't think they allow hunting in that area anyway. Lot of people like to travel light, but I always take my backpack there for camera, munchies, drinks, aspirin, etc.

Welcome to the forum!

Mike D., since my fossil radar will be turned up pretty high, don't be surprised by any numbness or loss of sight you experience when hunting near me. I spoke to the manufacturer and he assures me it's temporary. :unsure:

So that's how you "blind" Dan. :wacko:

Y'all don't need to worry about me as I'm half blind and half crippled. If you really want to see some good stuff found, just bring your sharp eyed kids along.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Y'all don't need to worry about me as I'm half blind and half crippled. If you really want to see some good stuff found, just bring your sharp eyed kids along.

Dan, should we bring along a change of clothes in case we get filthy so that we don't mess up Mr. Evans' vehicle?

COR353

No Tom, my esteemed colleague of the field, it wasn't you.

Thanks Pal. I was hoping that at worst you'd tell them all that I at least let youn pee in peace! Tom

COR353

Dan, should we bring along a change of clothes in case we get filthy so that we don't mess up Mr. Evans' vehicle?

I plan to bring some extra duds, maybe even grocery bags for the shoes for riding between sites. No point in making his wife hate us sight unseen!

Grüße,

I plan to bring some extra duds, maybe even grocery bags for the shoes for riding between sites. No point in making his wife hate us sight unseen!

Thanks,I'll do the same. I'd hate to mess up his car as a token of appreciation for the ride.Tom

COR353

With this bunch of Texans, hip boots may prove indispensable :P

Don't worry - I lived in Virginia for years and those folks will keep their noses high enough in the air that they'll never smell a thing!

B)

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Don't worry - I lived in Virginia for years and those folks will keep their noses high enough in the air that they'll never smell a thing!

B)

Good one! You really have lived here (but you're recovering?).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good one! You really have lived here (but you're recovering?).

Yep, my parents lived outside Mount Vernon for about 18 years, then I was stationed in Norfolk years later when in the Navy.

DC area is much snobbier than the Hampton Roads area as you might imagine.

Still, it's not that it was bad. My wife is from Plano, TX and it can be worse in that part of DFW (no offense Barry if you read this thread!).

Waco got an inch of rain yesterday and about a third today! Forecast high is maybe 80. Add some great finds and friends with a safe trip home...that's a good day!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

...Rereading your query John I wasn't sure if you were asking for rare finds at Brownwood or Waco, so I'll answer for Waco now...

Sorry, guys. I jumped in the middle of "Brownwood", but I was asking about the Waco Pit and spillway. Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Tom, Dan,

I'm brining extra threads only for the comfort factor and any extra dirt in the van will be much appreciated by all the micro and macro organisms living in the floorboard and under the seats (be careful where you place your bare feet).

As for Mrs Evans, I will simple tell her not to be concerned as to the goings of the men folk (please don't tell her I wrote this).

Lets Ride!!!!!

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Thanks Mike. I probably have all A. brownwoodensis at this point. A guy from the DPS called me last night and it sounds like they may be cooking up a trip to the spillway between now and spring. Since the site is well known I told him everything I know that could help lead to their success, namely timing and outlining the hard work involved in extracting the biggest slab possible. He wanted to take his 6 year old son. I described the site and told him I wouldn't take my 6 year old there.

Dan:

Yes, DPS is planning to make a trip to the Brownwood and Coleman areas to collect, and I was asked at the August DPS meeting by Polly M. to lead a trip there. Although I have been to the Brownwood spillway, Robinson Point and the Wilson quarry many times over the years and could lead the trip, I am really not prepared to make a Friday through Sunday trip to the area this fall because of my work schedule. It is going to be hard enough to make the Waco trip and Fossilmania in the span of 2 weeks. I might consider going there in the early Spring, but I have collected those localities enough times that I would have find something rare to make it worth my while. In addition, one of my favorite localities (Robinson Point) is basically no more due to property development and because the best area is now owned by one of the local outdoor groups. I agree with you that the Brownwood spillway locality is no place for children and sane people. Of course, I would expect you to go there!!!

Although I have collected both of the archaeocidarid species from the spillway, I have never found an Elliptechinus kiwiensis. I am jealous that you have found 2 or 3! I will just have to be happy with my Pennsylvanian edrioasteroids. Oh, amd by the way, UT did find another echinoid in the Winchell at the spillway. They found an unidentifed echinocystitid. According to the authors, this is the second most common echinoid in the spillway limestone as a number of disarticulated specimens have been found in the limestones above the main echinoid zone.

Regards,

Mike

Sorry, guys. I jumped in the middle of "Brownwood", but I was asking about the Waco Pit and spillway. Thanks.

John:

That was my error since I had earlier responded to Jax about the Brownwood spillway as a potential future Fossil Forum field trip. I was assuming that you were asking about the spillway and clay pit at Brownwood because Dan and I were discussing the echinoids from the Brownwood spillway (in the wrong post of course). I forgot that this group of posts were about the Waco spillway and pit. I agree with Dan on the uncommon fossils to look for in the Waco pit and spillway.

Regards,

Mike

Mike

I believe my friend Robert Bowen found some sort of oddball echinoderm at the Brownwood Spillway which he described as a "sea cucumber" His website is currently down as he is going through a divorce and out of state move, so I can't access images currently.

Grüße,

Owen

What is the lunch plan? To go out to eat we'd probably need to run back to 35 only to then turn around and head back the other way toward Crawford. Would it be better use of time to brown bag it? Could be interesting trying to coordinate 20-25 people on this one and still make good use of daylight. Your thoughts?

Grüße,

Owen

What is the lunch plan? To go out to eat we'd probably need to run back to 35 only to then turn around and head back the other way toward Crawford. Would it be better use of time to brown bag it? Could be interesting trying to coordinate 20-25 people on this one and still make good use of daylight. Your thoughts?

That's a pretty good idea, but since we have to head back out to Highway 6 there should also be some fast food options.

I'll need to get a map to the ranch and we can figure out an exact plan from there.

With that in mind brownbagging it is probably a good idea.

That's a pretty good idea, but since we have to head back out to Highway 6 there should also be some fast food options.

I'll need to get a map to the ranch and we can figure out an exact plan from there.

With that in mind brownbagging it is probably a good idea.

So, we are going to a different site in the afternoon?

Yeah, everyone bringing their own lunch would be best. I intend to fill the backpack and cooler with munchies.

Agreeing to an eating place, caravaning a ton of vehicles into town, eating and finishing same time, lining back up to caravan to another spot, etc is always a supreme ClusterF.

Tom, Dan,

I'm brining extra threads only for the comfort factor and any extra dirt in the van will be much appreciated by all the micro and macro organisms living in the floorboard and under the seats (be careful where you place your bare feet).

As for Mrs Evans, I will simple tell her not to be concerned as to the goings of the men folk (please don't tell her I wrote this).

Lets Ride!!!!!

Brian

Thanks for the reassurance, Brian. I just don't want to foul your car if I get muddy or anything. So I'll just throw my stuff in a bag after we're done and put on some old clean clothes and a clean pair of sneakers.

And if I don't get dirty somehow, which has never happened before during any field problem I've ever attended, I'll just leave the change of attire in the bag.

And watch out for Dan. He's just like a kid when it comes to getting filthy. He really loves it. Ain't that all right, Dan?

Thanks! Tom

COR353

B)

Hi O

Don't know about Virginians but I was stationed in D. C. for almost 8 years. Talk about schnazes in der luft!

Um Gottes willen! Those Washington insiders act like the rest of us are nothing but a bunch of ham and eggers who would need to look up at the sky in order to see the bottoms of their shoes! But of aristocratic jerks if ever was! Tom

COR353

Alas, I am no stranger to filth. But I know one 6 year old who can even get dirt inside his clothes. He got so filthy when I took him collecting a couple months ago that I just had him step into a big trash liner and buckled his seat belt around the whole mess and hosed him down before carrying him to the tub.

Thanks for the reassurance, Brian. I just don't want to foul your car if I get muddy or anything. So I'll just throw my stuff in a bag after we're done and put on some old clean clothes and a clean pair of sneakers.

And if I don't get dirty somehow, which has never happened before during any field problem I've ever attended, I'll just leave the change of attire in the bag.

And watch out for Dan. He's just like a kid when it comes to getting filthy. He really loves it. Ain't that all right, Dan?

Thanks! Tom

Grüße,