My first Kdr crab...

post-22-1224439224_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439242_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439263_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Brittlestar Galactica

Not a beauty, but it is still take home pay. Johnny found a better one with a complete apical disk.

post-22-1224439351_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Ammonites and nautiloid - some representative examples. If my ID is off, feel free to correct me.

Top to bottom, left to right:

Adkinsia, Mantelliceras, Engonoceras

Nautiloid, Otoscaphites, Plesioturrilies

post-22-1224439423_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439443_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439458_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439472_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439491_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439515_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439536_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

"When the shark bites

with its teeth, dear,

scarlet billows..."

The other guys in my detachment of fossil ninjas took some spectactular shark material as well. Look for their images to come from their direction. I grabbed a few more teeth and verts but haven't had a chance to photograph them yet.

post-22-1224439666_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439691_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439778_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Miscellaneous -

What the heck is this pyritzed thing?

post-22-1224439862_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439885_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439977_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

What a great trip. It was nice to meet everybody. I think I at least shook hands with most of you. Hunted a while with lots of you as people scattered and came back together and scattered again. A few pics. First, all or most of us (except me working the camera). Second, what most of the larger urchins that I saw looked like (yes, I picked it up, I like a puzzle). Third, a cool waterfall, and I believe jax and bowkill hunting for Dan. Fourth, a pic of the last place I was hunting. A small tooth to the right of the quarter, various shells and fragments, a few pyrite fragments. Fifth, bowkill is still looking for Dan. Actually, this area had quite a few pyrited fossils, teeth and echinoid pieces. A lot of us hit the area. It was surrounded by cat tails and kind of hidden.

post-534-1224439442_thumb.jpg

post-534-1224439457_thumb.jpg

post-534-1224439478_thumb.jpg

post-534-1224439516_thumb.jpg

post-534-1224439532_thumb.jpg

I found pretty much the same as everyone else, but more bi-valves, one with pearls forming and somethings that need to be cleaned. post-749-1224440035_thumb.jpg

First, a few Goniophorus scotti echinoids...There are more but I haven't photographed them yet.

Cool slab pix Dan. Do you clean them up at all?

I found one single Goniophorus on the hill side.

Also found a brittle star piece with two legs (partials, of course).

We'll look forward to more pix!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Waco Trip - the aftermath. Sounds like the decision of 5 of us to hang at the pit turned out to be a good one. We hedged our bets and happened to make a good call. It was cool that Bowkill hung with us for the duration and scored several shark teeth and other stuff.

After that we headed to a well known site that y'all should feel free to visit, a network of road cuts along Hwy 107 west of Moody exposing Walnut formation in its lower layers. The Oxytropidoceras ammonites were pretty busted up, but there were echinoids aplenty until dark ushered us out. Some were Heterasters, but most were some other spatangoid with 5 lightly depressed ambs. Looks like some sort of Hemiaster or similar critter, but I could use some insight here.

Mike Murphy, have you been to this site? We worked most of our finds out of the cream colored nodular limestone low in the cuts which I assume is Walnut. Are you aware of the echinoid fauna found here? For that matter, while Heteraster and Hemiaster are easy genera to tell apart, could you add a short discussion on distinguishing Lambertiaster and Washitaster from these two highlighting easy to find diagnostic features? Thanks.

As for the entire trip, the camaraderie, back slapping, and good finds made for a splendid time afield for all.

post-22-1224440472_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224440493_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

yeah, this is fairly cool. love the group pic. i'm thinking somebody needs to go to the pit with one o those "honey, i shrunk the kids" ray-thingees and make those fossils bigger. i took my son there one time and he just couldn't get into the micro-hunting, but the stuff is really cool.

Great group pic!

Since I'm so bad at names, can we assemble real and screen names for each person in the picture? I'll start:

5th from left (red baseball cap); Daniel; ShadyW

(if you all quote this message and add to the list, we can work up a full key to the picture)

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

I'm the guy just left of center in the green shirt with Tom Fisher looking over my shoulder, Brian Evans in the blue shirt to the right, followed further right by John Jackson who came prepared to cane me each time I bent down to pick up anything shiny.

Grüße,

OK here is the rest of my stuff. What the heck is the freaky snaggletooth? Looks like something fell out of Steve Buscemi's mouth...

post-22-1224447577_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224447593_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224447606_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224447640_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224448576_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224448588_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224448602_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

I'm the fourth from the right (Roz (real name)

Oh, before I forget a HUGE thanks to Owen for thinking this up and arranging it!

Posted are my favorite finds from Waco. 2 people I know of found squid beaks, Lance and Fossil Man.

I am not gonna post Fossil Man's or Lance's as they probably have taken better pics.

I am happy with my finds though, and really glad to meet all of you. Dan handed out some fossil treats before

the hunt..Thanks Dan! He also donated some fossils to be given away to kids through the DPS.

Oh, the bull in the pic looked so friendly, I wanted my pic taken with it, but as I stood next to him, he

started to rear his head like he wanted to throw me, so no pic with it. I also heard he held some of our cars as hostage for awhile. This was at the second site...

post-13-1224447986_thumb.jpg

post-13-1224448016_thumb.jpg

post-13-1224448034_thumb.jpg

post-13-1224448051_thumb.jpg

post-13-1224448069_thumb.jpg

post-13-1224448090_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Great group pic!

Since I'm so bad at names, can we assemble real and screen names for each person in the picture? I'll start:

5th from left (red baseball cap); Daniel; ShadyW

(if you all quote this message and add to the list, we can work up a full key to the picture)

Alas, I am not in the picture, but I know Roz took one with me in it. I can identify some of the people. Starting from the left:

2nd is Oh-Man (Owen), 3rd I think is Snakekeeper, 4th is catfuraplenty (Sunday), 15th (in the red shirt) is Lance Hall (Lance), 16th Roz (Roz), 17th jax (Justin), 18th jpbowden (Pat), last is bowkill (Ramo). I did good to remember that many names. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Alas, I am not in the picture, but I know Roz took one with me in it. I can identify some of the people. Starting from the left:

2nd is Oh-Man (Owen), 3rd I think is Snakekeeper, 4th is catfuraplenty (Sunday), 15th (in the red shirt) is Lance Hall (Lance), 16th Roz (Roz), 17th jax (Justin), 18th jpbowden (Pat), last is bowkill (Ramo). I did good to remember that many names. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Roz are the fourth (right to left) I know it :P

Here is the group shot I took. Mike D. is second from

the right. If you come in and say who u r, please use Mike D's pic

or this just could get confusing. :D

post-13-1224453100_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

That was a fun time. I've been working almost everyday since Ike hit, and it was great to get out. Here are a couple of photos I took, and I'd like to thank everyone who made this happen. (The photo of the big tooth with a finger pointing to it isn't my tooth, but I was within about 2 feet of it when it was found! And from what I hear the guy who did find it likes to make his best finds under other people noses!)

(That's Jax in the "cave" photo.)

post-40-1224454596_thumb.jpg

post-40-1224454611_thumb.jpg

post-40-1224454624_thumb.jpg

post-40-1224454638_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

post-166-1224454710_thumb.jpg

So, from Mike D's pic, I have (left-to-right):

1. Mike D. (MikeD)

2. Owen M. (Oh-Man)

3. Barry A. (snakekeeper64)

4. Sunday B. (catfuraplenty)

5. Daniel J. (ShadyW)

6. Jeremy G. (Explorer1)

7. Sheldon G. (racevw112's son)

8. Stacy G. (Explorer1)

9. Lyle G. (racevw112)

10. Lloyd E. (fossil man)

11. Tom F. (Tom)

12. Daniel W. (danwoehr)

13. Brian E. (Evans)

14. Rusty B. (Whiteray)

15. John J. (JohnJ)

16. Lance H. (LanceH)

17. Roz M. (Roz/Mosasaurfiend)

18. Justin N. (Jax)

19. Pat (jpbowden)

20. Ramo D. (bowkill)

Please correct me if I'm wrong (some interpretation from danwoehr's post) and help fill in the blanks (like screen names). MikeD, your numbers are off by one from Lance (who's actually 16th) because the person in 9th position is hiding (you can make out his hat and knees!).

My apologies to those of you I'm missing. I chatted with all of you, but i have a dreadful memory for names!

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

OK here is the rest of my stuff. What the heck is the freaky snaggletooth? Looks like something fell out of Steve Buscemi's mouth...

I love the gnarly tooth! What on earth is it from?

I think Racevw112 (Lyle) and son Sheldon are the hiding ones.

The signup sheet looks like this:

LanceH / same

RozM / Mosasaurfiend

JustinN / Jax

JeremyG / Explorer1

Stacy G / "

JohnJ / JohnJ

RamoD/ Bowkill

OwenM / Oh-man

MikeD / MikeD

RustyB / Writeray

SundayB / Catfuraplenty

DanielJ / ShadyW

LyleG / Racevw112

SheldonG / "

LloydE / FossilMan

Dan Woehr / same

BrianE / Evans

TomF / -

BarryA / Snakekeeper64

I think Racevw112 (Lyle) and son Sheldon are the hiding ones.

Thanks. I've updated the key. Just a few more names to add...

By the way... I was looking for info on cleaning and preserving Pyritized fossils, and came across this article. Does anyone here have experience or opinions on preserving pyritized specimens?

Treating Pyrite Fossils

Guest bmorefossil

wow that is really cool, im gonna say its from a fish not sure about fish from that era so i really cant give an id