Waco Lake Texas Trip For Forum Members

Oh-Man

You guys have found some really incredible things, and to tell the truth, I had a great time. All of you can only be called friends, you are the best.

For me the bi-valves there and the ones here where I live show a much bigger picture of the past. Again thanks for the invite it was the most fun I have had in years.

Pat

Pat - it was great to meet you too.

On that note I need some suggestions for another group trip.

Some of these were offered up earlier.

Whiskey Bridge

NSR

Texoma

Midlothian

I was thinking of shooting for late Feb or early March so there is lots of time for planning.

If anyone else sees this please forward any other ideas.

Thanks

Owen

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

wow! now this is some cool stuff, that one bone looks like a root, im guessing its not

...it's definitely fossilized bone. You can even see some crystalline mineral replacement in the interior structure on the other end (not shown in the photo). Maybe someone will recognize diagnostic features of the fragment.

Mike Murphy - thank you for the detailed response to Dan's question above. I'll print that for reference material. I was looking forward to meeting you...maybe next time. Like JP and others, I had a great time meeting everyone and finding some cool fossils.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest bmorefossil
...it's definitely fossilized bone. You can even see some crystalline mineral replacement in the interior structure on the other end (not shown in the photo). Maybe someone will recognize diagnostic features of the fragment.

oh yea its bone but i could swear you have the root off of something, what animals were around back then?

Hey i got a big question, who would you say had the best trip?

Hey Mike M. hope your getting over the crud, it must be going around. I've been in bed every since the trip, it's gone now and I've got to get out of the house. My buddy Mike D was getting over something while on the trip that's tough to fight that stuff and have a good time, but he pulled through. For now I have to let it warm up a might and head out to the back of the local dam at Stillhouse. Right now it's in the 40's.

Ah, Stillhouse...grab a few Phymosoma and Engonoceras before the PSoA vacuums it all up!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Pat - it was great to meet you too.

On that note I need some suggestions for another group trip.

Some of these were offered up earlier.

Whiskey Bridge

NSR

Texoma

Midlothian

I was thinking of shooting for late Feb or early March so there is lots of time for planning.

If anyone else sees this please forward any other ideas.

Thanks

Owen

I've been to Texoma (Denison Dam) and found quite a few fossils up there. I've never been to the rest. Tried to go to NSR, but could never find it...DOH!

I definitely want to make it to the next trip...should have gone this last time and I probably wouldnt have gotten all four of my tires slashed.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

I probably wouldnt have gotten all four of my tires slashed.

Ouch, that sucks. Maybe someone that went on the trip that knew you would find all the goodies.

NSR, sounds like the ticket. How bout giving me and MikeD an hour head start. What do you think Mike an hour, 2, 3 heck I just don't know?

...Hey i got a big question, who would you say had the best trip?

I had the best trip, of course! I found things I've never found before; I learned how to mispronounce them, and had beautiful weather the whole time.

I know what you're asking, but everyone that went and found anything would say they "had the best trip"! ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

No point in hunting the NSR - mommabetts has already cleaned out the whole river! :)

As someone who's hunted the NSR many, many times, I have to ask how on earth did you find so many teeth today mommabetts?!?

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

NSR, sounds like the ticket. How bout giving me and MikeD an hour head start. What do you think Mike an hour, 2, 3 heck I just don't know?

How about 4. Then they might not be able to catch up with us.

I don't know, I'm so slow I fall asleep walkin'. Any place with the same elbow room like Waco? Triassic maybe? LOL Whats out there that is the one thing that all of you have wanted to take a look at and never had the chance to do? No, not China!

First off, thanks to Roz, fossilman, MikeD, Oh-Man, bmorefossil, catfuraplenty, jpbowden and others for wishing me well in getting over the flu. I am feeling fine now and raring to get out and do some collecting before the really cold weather hits. MikeD, I'm glad that you were on the downhill side of your bug; if I had been on the downhill side of it, I probably would have gone. Catfuraplenty, I did take your advise and had chicken noodle soup when I felt like eating. The soup wasn't homemade but Campbell's tasted pretty good anyway!

Dan, the micromorph nautloid from the Del Rio is generally referred to as Cymatoceras hilli based on the few normal sized nautiloids that have been found in the Del Rio. I read somewhere that the rhyncholites, or nautiloid hoods, that were found are generally referred to Cymatoceras sp as well since Cymatoceras is the only nautiloid that has been identified from the Del Rio Formation in McLennan County. Did the "snaggletooth dentition" that you found also come from the Del Rio? It looks much like the dentition of modern cyprinid fish.

JohnJ, I hope the information on the echinoids is helpful on echinoid ID.

MikeD, PSoA is the abreviation of a fossil club in Austin; they had a field trip scheduled to North Texas in October and some of their membership will probably hit the Stillhouse Lake locality while they are up for Fossilmania.

I'm glad that my idea of the Lake Waco pit was a hit with the forum members... I just wish that I could have made with all the great specimens that were found based on the photographs that have been posted. It is evident that Oh-Man was a fantastic trip coordinator and his efforts made for an obviously fun and successful trip for all. Thanks to all of you that posted the pictures - that really made me jealous of what was found! I am looking forward to Fossilmania next weekend. Maybe I will see some of you there. By the way, the North Sulfur River would probably be a good locality for the next trip for those vertebrate nuts in the group. The Brazos River and Little Brazos River localities would probably also make for a good early Spring trip.

Regards,

Mike

ShadyW, I carry a rope with me and go where no one else does. Most people go to the highway 34 bridge or the 2990 bridge, I don't unless it is a very good rain and I get there just as the water is going down. Mostly I go to other spots that are hard to get to. I never went over a 1/8 of a mile from where I went in at.

ShadyW, I carry a rope with me and go where no one else does. Most people go to the highway 34 bridge or the 2990 bridge, I don't unless it is a very good rain and I get there just as the water is going down. Mostly I go to other spots that are hard to get to. I never went over a 1/8 of a mile from where I went in at.

That's awesome! I love the thought of repelling for fossils.

MikeD and I usually throw down some tag lines so that we can haul stuff back up to the top easily. We've learned that "gravity is not our friend" when hauling stuff on our backs...

I have 3 questions to ask, it's just to get an idea about a group trip and to let me to a little road work.

1. What type of bivalves do you find on the NSR and near by exposures.

2. What are the best Navarro Group exposures are here in Texas?

3. How about a Pennsylvanian or Permian Trip?

I posted some of the shells that I found a few weeks ago at NSR to give you an idea. As for best Naverro group I would say down around Corsicana. And yes I would be up for a Permian or Pennsylvanian trip. I don't know of any good spots to go though.

I posted some of the shells that I found a few weeks ago at NSR to give you an idea. As for best Naverro group I would say down around Corsicana. And yes I would be up for a Permian or Pennsylvanian trip. I don't know of any good spots to go though.

A Jacksboro - Mineral Wells or Brownwood trip might be good at some point although since it is less centrally located might be harder for folks to make it to.

I like the idea though and expect we can plan one there in the future.

Mike, are the "rhyncholites (nautiloid hoods)" you refer to what some of us call "squid beaks"? Those "beaks" are all considerably larger than any ammonites I've seen at the pit but maybe just the right size for normal size nautiloids (?). Maybe I'll start refering to them generally as cephalopod beaks just to be safe. ;)

Lance:

The rhyncholites and the "squid beaks" are the same items when referring to the specimens found in the Waco pit. The rhyncholites are associated with nautiloids, not with teuthids. Some of the fauna in the Del Rio Formation escaped micromorphing, such as the vertebrates, ophiuroids, echinoids and oysters. In fact, the molluscs are the primary marcasitic micromorphs in the Del Rio Formation. Compare the rhyncholites found in the Del Rio and the Belosepia beaks found in the Eocene; you will find that there is no comparison between the rhyncholites and the "squid beaks".

Regards,

Mike