Waco Lake Texas Trip For Forum Members

Oh-Man

Mike, That's a bummer - hope you feel better soon and hopefully we can pull off another forum trip in spring - likely to the NSR area.

Owen

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Left tonight and am staying at the Victorian Inns on MLK. Not bad place and the price is right. Looking forward to tomorrow. Hubby and hound in tow. :) Will check this site tomorrow and see if there are any changes. Probably going to stay over Sat. night before going home.

We brought lots of med bottles with us, things to sit on, couple of screw drivers, the usual. See you tomorrow.

And to Mike (who is ill) seriously, homemade chicken soup really does work.

Well today was the big day. We had close to 20 people there and it was nice to put face to name. As we headed into the pit I had my plan to stay close to Dan. Well I bent over one time to look at some gravel and he was gone.... I caught up with Bowkill, and with his tracking skills we were trying to track him down. The ground was pretty muddy so it wasnt hard to follow the prints. Long story short, we could never find him. I think he may have waded out into the water as to loose all followers :P (I'll stop picking on Dan) There were some pretty cool gullys to look through. One having a little waterfall.

I didnt end up find all that much. My best finds of the day were a small Ammonite, and a little vert. It was pretty cool to find all the pyritized fossils. Everything pictured, minus the small shell top left, are pyritized.

There were many good finds by everyone who went. I cant wait to see the rest of the fossils posted.

post-221-1224382548_thumb.jpg

post-221-1224382653_thumb.jpg

post-221-1224382701_thumb.jpg

post-221-1224383083_thumb.jpg

Well today was the big day. We had close to 20 people there and it was nice to put face to name. As we headed into the pit I had my plan to stay close to Dan. Well I bent over one time to look at some gravel and he was gone.... I caught up with Bowkill, and with his tracking skills we were trying to track him down. The ground was pretty muddy so it wasnt hard to follow the prints. Long story short, we could never find him. I think he may have waded out into the water as to loose all followers :P (I'll stop picking on Dan) There were some pretty cool gullys to look through. One having a little waterfall.

I didnt end up find all that much. My best finds of the day were a small Ammonite, and a little vert. It was pretty cool to find all the pyritized fossils. Everything pictured, minus the small shell top left, are pyritized.

There were many good finds by everyone who went. I cant wait to see the rest of the fossils posted.

Thanks for the photos. Looks like it has changed little in last thirity years.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Wow,it was so much fun! It was so nice to meet everyone today! Christmas came early as Dan had a Halloween bag full of goodies for the takeing.He said.... who wants a horse tooth? About 5 people were slurring their words trying to say"I'll take it" It was like 50% day off at Khols! I came away with a sloth toe bone that was highly polished, and a as yet un-identified large hunk of bone that looks way cool! Even though it is un-identified! Everyone was genuine and truly like minded when it comes to fossils and fossil collecting.When a common man comes up to an Engineer and has a very competent conversation about fossils and the like........... well let's just say that all the misconceptions about "how am I going to hold a conversation" with this brainiac!!!!!!!!!!!! The myth is dispelled!!! Very genuine people here!! They are just like you and me! Well ....with the exception of the mensa thing." LOL"Here is what I took home with me! Along with great memories of what is still to come! More collecting with very genuine people! Hey Shady,did your boots dry out yet???post-417-1224389552_thumb.jpg

Correction Barry - you have a camel toe (but I'm not looking!)

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Caught this little booger at Owen's place!!And here is everyone gathering at the vehicle that Dan finally decided to come back to after an adventure of fossil collecting!!post-417-1224390412_thumb.jpg

sweet! people!!!

Not only sweet........but very genuine!!

B

And on a side note....Owen was very thorough on the "what and where" as to what was to be expected on this very nice day! He co-ordinated this trip perfectly! Everything went "as planned" Thanks Owen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!post-417-1224392315_thumb.jpg

Not only sweet........but very genuine!!

B

And on a side note....Owen was very thorough on the "what and where" as to what was to be expected on this very nice day! He co-ordinated this trip perfectly! Everything went "as planned" Thanks Owen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!post-417-1224392315_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the positive feedback - I had a great time and it was great to meet everyone at a venue where we aren't stacked on top of each other.

I think we actually had 25 folks show.

Unfortuantely the second part didn't go exactly as planned.

I was pretty sure that I knew where the quarry was on the ranch property. Ends up that yes, I knew where it was, just that it was about a half mile further downstream than I remembered. Thus I lost confidence in what we were doing and ended up heading back.

On the upside the outcrop near where we parked yielded a big, but broken macraster echie, about 5 good sized holasters (whole, but beaten up), some larger ammonite pieces, a couple of small ammonites, several large oysters, a few clams and a really cool gastropod that looked like a tall sundial shell.

So although I got us lost at least we did find a few things at the "exploration" portion of the trip. So for those of you that I sent on the wild goose chase, please accept my apologies, but I hope you still had a good time!

Owen

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Yeah thanks Owen for setting up the gig. Unfortunately we showed up in the morning and at lunch time so I didn't have much time to talk to many folks beyond Barry, Raymo, MikeD, Owen, Roz, Lance, Justin and a few others. All good folks, but I'd swear y'all conspired to lose me in the cat tails and poison ivy or something....Pics tomorrow...a few mystery fossils thrown in too...Bowkill hung with us till dark and rounded out a 5 man Spatangoid Slapdown in the Walnut...pics of that to follow as well...

Grüße,

Wow, what a trip! Owen, your the man, thanks for such a good time. Thanks to Mike for keeping track of me, and to all the find people that were there. Lance, my wife found you card, she thinks you cute, Ok your cute but not as cute as Roz. Later today, I will photograph what I found including my new little friend an Exogyra drakei that I have been on the trail now for 6 years. Man what a great trip! :D

JP

Sorry I missed you in the crowd!

Grüße,

Wow! What a trip! I hardly know where to start. Thanks to Owen and all the rest of you for making this such a great day!

post-166-1224432525_thumb.jpg post-166-1224433418_thumb.jpg

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Hey Daniel, I was the one with the long hair and the Jimi T-shirt. I like the old rock, but Willie is still the King....... :D

First, a few Goniophorus scotti echinoids...There are more but I haven't photographed them yet.

post-22-1224439041_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439069_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439085_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439111_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224439130_thumb.jpg

Grüße,