Waco Lake Texas Trip For Forum Members

Oh-Man

Alas, I am no stranger to filth. But I know one 6 year old who can even get dirt inside his clothes. He got so filthy when I took him collecting a couple months ago that I just had him step into a big trash liner and buckled his seat belt around the whole mess and hosed him down before carrying him to the tub.

Dan - as a father that would be a proud moment!

When I came back from my last deployment in the Navy the first thing I did when I got home was take my 2 year old daughter puddle jumping in the parking lot after the rain stopped. Yes, people looked at me like I was crazy, but now she is 12 and will still go fossil hunting with me (occasionally).

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

...I just had him step into a big trash liner and buckled his seat belt around the whole mess and hosed him down before carrying him to the tub.

How to "field dress" and "clean" a 6-year-old fossil hunter :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

So, to clarify...

We're meeting at the Waco pit at 9am and hunting there in the morning.

We're eating our brown bag lunches around there.

Then we're going... somewhere else? "The ranch"?

I think I'm not alone in having no clue what the plans are for the day, but I'm still really excited to be joining y'all for what sounds like a great day of hunting!

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

So, to clarify...

We're meeting at the Waco pit at 9am and hunting there in the morning.

We're eating our brown bag lunches around there.

Then we're going... somewhere else? "The ranch"?

I think I'm not alone in having no clue what the plans are for the day, but I'm still really excited to be joining y'all for what sounds like a great day of hunting!

We are meeting at the Corp if Engineers office, not the pit itself.

Think we are brown bagging, sorry, not clear on the other.

Welcome to the forum!

We are meeting at the Corp if Engineers office, not the pit itself.

Think we are brown bagging, sorry, not clear on the other.

YES to the brownbag lunching.

I think we have two options for "after lunch." Certainly some folks can keep hunting at the pit if they would like however I have access to a ranch near Crawford that "might" have some potential. So I'd like to take any interested folks up there so that we can get some good eyes on the ground (literally) and see if there is anything there.

What Formations do you expect to find in Crawford? Fort Worth-Pawpaw? I have found some nice things up that way.

What Formations do you expect to find in Crawford? Fort Worth-Pawpaw? I have found some nice things up that way.

Hopefully - the quarry up the road advertises Edwards formation limestone.

Dan has taken a closer look.

Wow, it looks like great weather for an outing tomorrow! I hope everyone has a safe trip on the way to Waco!

B

Personally I'm not a big fan of the Edwards with one exception - Goniopygus echinoids. You have to be in the right zone however, which Mike Murphy has pointed out as being not far above the lower contact. The Ked at least in my area is a hard, crystalline limestone that is stingy with fossils. Too bad that is most of what is exposed in the north part of San Antonio. However up north it eventually grades into the Goodland limestone which is quite rich in ammonites, echinoids, and other things. I'm curious where in this transition the second site falls.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Alas, I am no stranger to filth. But I know one 6 year old who can even get dirt inside his clothes. He got so filthy when I took him collecting a couple months ago that I just had him step into a big trash liner and buckled his seat belt around the whole mess and hosed him down before carrying him to the tub.

Like This???

post-891-1224263802_thumb.jpg

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

Wow, hand that kid a razor, he has a 5 o'clock shadow like Freddy Flintstone!

Grüße,

Dang, scout a 2nd spot or stay at the Pit...... decisions, decisions.... :unsure:

Here's a geo map of the area around of Crawford, Tx.

McLennanCounty_05-100.jpg McLennanCounty_06-100.jpg

McLennanCounty_09-100.jpg McLennanCounty_10-100.jpg

Lance, Roz

Do y'all go to the DPS meetings? If so, would you be interested in taking a box or two of my B grade kiddie donation fossils to them? If not no problem, I can find another donee. Just lemme know. Thanks.

Grüße,

Wish I could go! Yes, lots of photos when y'all get back!

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

Well, the last night before the Fossil Forum Waco trip, and I am going to have to bail out due to the fact that I have been hit hard by illness, probably the flu. It hit on Wednesday as I was on my way back from a presentation in Oklahoma City. I was really looking forward to this trip as was my wife. Instead of collecting fossils with the rest of you, I will be getting shots and medication. What a bummer!!! Anyhow, have a safe, fun trip and find lots of rare and unusual fossils. I am going to miss seeing all of you, but I will see some of you at Fossilmania and maybe I will see the rest of you at the next Fossil Forum trip.

Regards,

Mike

Well, the last night before the Fossil Forum Waco trip, and I am going to have to bail out due to the fact that I have been hit hard by illness, probably the flu. It hit on Wednesday as I was on my way back from a presentation in Oklahoma City. I was really looking forward to this trip as was my wife. Instead of collecting fossils with the rest of you, I will be getting shots and medication. What a bummer!!! Anyhow, have a safe, fun trip and find lots of rare and unusual fossils. I am going to miss seeing all of you, but I will see some of you at Fossilmania and maybe I will see the rest of you at the next Fossil Forum trip.

Regards,

Mike

Very sorry to hear that! Feel better soon, Mike!

Welcome to the forum!

I brought along a film canister of teeth from Kansas to give away. I'll let you guys pick over anything you might want, and donate the rest to the kids if they would like some Kansas teeth.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I brought along a film canister of teeth from Kansas to give away. I'll let you guys pick over anything you might want, and donate the rest to the kids if they would like some Kansas teeth.

Id like to see what you find up that way. I will have to dig some stuff out to show off. Are we going to have a show and tell time :D

As for the sickness, seems like everyone around me has some sort of cold or something. Im gonna fight it off till at least sunday.

...Are we going to have a show and tell time?

At a Fossil Forum trip full of Texans? Maybe you'll have a little time left to actually hunt fossils :P

(Wish I could be there!)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry to hear that Mike. I had that about 3 weeks ago along with some bronchitis which turned into a sinus infection. I'm still coughing out the last of the alien creatures from my lungs.

Kdfdc and Kpw for the most part although likely the pond quarries into Ked if I read the map right.