What's Still On Your "fill My Bucket List"?

fossilized6s

Great topic Charlie! Lets see:

A complete Mastodon or Gomp tooth

A 6 inch perfect Meg

A 3 inch Mako

A perfect spearpoint

A nice carnivore tooth any species, once I get one I'll be more picky lol

A large section of tusk, again not too picky yet

And a large piece of mandible with teeth, pretty much any one will do :D

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

^^ that's very doable Jeff, you just may have to get scuba certified! I've only hunted the Peace about a dozen times and I've found some poor to moderate examples of just about all of those! I'm sure there are honey holes all over inland Florida!! God i wish i lived down there!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

^^ that's very doable Jeff, you just may have to get scuba certified! I've only hunted the Peace about a dozen times and I've found some poor to moderate examples of just about all of those! I'm sure there are honey holes all over inland Florida!! God i wish i lived down there!

Yeah, it's definatley doable and I've been diving here for 11 years but most of my best finds are from creeks and constuction sites.It's unbelieveable how much stuff you can find here if you're willing to go the extra mile that the hunter next to you may not be willing to do. Almost anyone with strong drive and back can have a nice collection in Fl! :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

My best finds in the Peace have been snorkeling and probing the weed cover. I found both of my Mammoth teeth at the same time covered in seaweed debris. The rock outcroppings are good for a lot of stuff, but the clay bottom is the layer you really want for the big and well preserved stuff!!

I do have to add a Green River fish or stingray fossil to fill my bucket.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Wow, where to start? Thanks to members on this forum, posting all their wondrous finds, the list goes on and on...and on...

To simplify, my adventures in the Mancos shale have left me with the desire to find a nautilus, a complete crab, a mosasaur tooth, a ptychodus tooth plate and a sea turtle.

Not too much to ask for...right? :)

All this "bucket list" talk is making me anxious for the field. I think I have some issues. :D

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

All this "bucket list" talk is making me anxious for the field. I think I have some issues. :D

I think all of us are anxious! Up here the winter just wont end! It snowed this morning and it may snow tonight!

I've been scouting and planning one day trips all over. I think i have five day trips planned so far!

~Charlie~

Wow, where to start? Thanks to members on this forum, posting all their wondrous finds, the list goes on and on...and on...

That's how it happens, isn't it?

I know how you feel.

I'm with everyone else who's still housebound by winter--I want to GET OUT AND HUNT!!!

I don't really have much of a specific list; I'm largely a take-whatever-I-find hunter. I do particularly like cephs and trilos, and I'm always on the lookout for things I haven't seen before. :D If the rock makes me say "What the heck is that??", it comes home with me.

There is one thing in paricular that I really want to add to my collection, but probably can't afford. I've never sen one for sale at any price. That would be an ammonite from the Ries Crater. I have a couple of belemnite sections from there that were broken by the impact that formed the crater and fused back together, crooked. I want a brecciated ammonite to go with them!

I'm also always looking for interesting mineral replacements.

I am looking for

1. a larger raptor claw

2. a larger pterosaur tooth

I have small ones

3. more smilodon items, preferably a saber :)

I currently have an upper carnassial tooth with piece of jaw, a partial humerus, and a baby humerus

4. a large aurora megalodon tooth

5. a skull of a predator

6. a dire wolf claw or tooth

I also wanted a baby mammoth tooth, but I found one which will be delivered tomorrow :D

I want many more items ofcourse, but for these I am actively searching :)

Natascha

I guess I would have to say a complete crab, not just a carapace. Found by myself.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Fun topic! It is nice to read what everyone would really like to find (or obtain by other means).

I hope to someday uncover a detailed, nicely laid-out and (I'll settle for nearly) complete frond of

Palmatopteris

Mariopteris

Odontopteris

any other plant fossil genus or species, really...

Plant remains (different organs, form genera) in organic connection would be great,

and perhaps something of which I didn't even know that I really wanted to find it.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to add a pine cone, any kind will suffice.....

~Charlie~

I need to add a pine cone, any kind will suffice.....

Funny, my son just found two on Sunday. We left one behind as it was in the cliff wall.

Well maybe he left it for my son and i to find! :P

~Charlie~

I guess I need a new "local" list...

I wanted a joined ichthyosaur vert. Found a nice one down Lyme Regis last week.

Wanted an Icthyosaur atlas bone. Found one the day after it was added to my list.

Today, I found something extremely rare. A Plesiosaur Atlas bone. I bumped into two fossil walk guides I know. One is in his sixties and has been fossiling Charmouth and Lyme his whole life and the other was about half his age. Neither of them had ever found one. Made me pretty happy.

Found not one, but TWO Icthyosaur rostrum today as well! One is pretty small but with three worn teeth and the other is more of a pebble but from a much larger Icthyosaur.

Anything from the clade Dinosauria and something reptilian to fill up empty space in my display cabinet.

Anything from the clade Dinosauria and something reptilian to fill up empty space in my display cabinet.

Empty space? In a display cabinet? What's that like?

Of course if you're collecting verts then I guess it's more likely. :zzzzscratchchin:

Of course if you're collecting verts then I guess it's more likely. :zzzzscratchchin:

Hey, since I display in the china cabinet, every time we take out the wine glasses there is some empty space. :P

I´ll do a thread on my new fossil display soon, hopefully that will explain why and how. actually i only own a single vertebra, from an unidentified shark, probably Stratiolamna.

(I have no idea what happened to the quote window above, no idea)

Edited by megabass22

You could just delete the above post and try again...

I will look forward to your new display when you post it.

• 3 weeks later...

1: go to the dominican republic, paying one of the miners to give me a tour into the mine, buy amber from the miners at the mine itself

2: go to somewhere along the baltic coast to collect amber (and of course i would go in the winter as storms=more amber washed up)

3: get ahold of some japanese amber

4: get some nice botanicals in dominican amber

Edited by NZ_Fossil_Collecta

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

• 1 month later...

Well i got to cross some things off of my bucket list. Sweeet!

Has anyone else been lucky enough to do this yet?

~Charlie~

Yup, I found a Native American spear point. :yay-smiley-1:

Awesome! Congrats Bev! Let's see it.

~Charlie~