Small Shells From Smr

Shellseeker

I love taking these trips to SMR Aggragates for 2+ MYA shells and an occasional vertebra fossil, Not a lot of time , lots of rain water around, and mostly smaller fossil shells, This was last Sunday and I also spent National Fossil Day helping out at the South Florida Museum on Saturday,

When the Peace River is out of season, I look for hunting where ever I can. This pretty little Mako came my way on Saturday and some nice shells on Sunday. SMR is always rewarding.

post-2220-0-65717100-1412912382_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-18079000-1412912416_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-94602700-1412912433_thumb.jpg

I have a bunch of larger shells to clean and sort. That can be fun also with a lot of matrix mixture inside the bigger shells.

Enjoy, Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds. I wanted to make that trip but couldn't get the time off work. From what I heard from others who went, it was pretty limited by the time and rain. Still, it's always nice going to SMR.

Hi,

What / where is SMR ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

What / where is SMR ?

Coco

SMR Aggregates is located in Sarasota, FLA. USA. ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

http://www.examiner.com/article/florida-shell-collectors-and-scientists-meet-tampa

For the first time in FUM history, attendees participated in a field trip on the second day of the conference. The outing took them to the SMR Aggregates, Inc. shell mine in Sarasota, one of the most diverse and well preserved fossil mollusk sites anywhere. "Opportunities for most of the attendees to visit such a spectacular shell mine with millions of 2.5 -3.5 million year old marine fossils is extremely rare", said Roger Portell, Director of Invertebrate Paleontology Collections with the Florida Museum of Natural history (FMNH) and co-organizer of the field trip.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/42142-loving-west-florida/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/37602-smr-aggregates/

I just did a search on google for "SMR TFF"

It is a fantastic place -- On a few trips , I have left with 5 - 5 gallon buckets of shells that no longer exist in modern times. Truly amazing -- Millions and Millions of shells from the Tamiami formation about 5 miles east of Sarasota , Florida. Usually field trips are organized by the Florida Paleontology Society...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I love taking these trips to SMR Aggragates for 2+ MYA shells and an occasional vertebra fossil, Not a lot of time , lots of rain water around, and mostly smaller fossil shells, This was last Sunday and I also spent National Fossil Day helping out at the South Florida Museum on Saturday,

When the Peace River is out of season, I look for hunting where ever I can. This pretty little Mako came my way on Saturday and some nice shells on Sunday. SMR is always rewarding.

attachicon.gifGreenMako5cm.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9507cm.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_9509cm.jpg

I have a bunch of larger shells to clean and sort. That can be fun also with a lot of matrix mixture inside the bigger shells.

Enjoy, Shellseeker

Very nice--those are keepers! I really like the variety of gastropods---especially the Architectonica sundials. Yep the Tamiami is crazy crazy fossil rich. I havent been to the working quarry yet but have been picking thru old parts of it and shell loads in driveways and other sites. So far I've only found one shark tooth that was complete...a small pretty worn Meg! no less. I was/am very happy. I know there is supposed to be other vertebrate stuff there. I keep hoping!

Regards, Chris

SMR Aggregates is located in Sarasota, FLA. USA. ;)

Regards,

:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg