Show Us Your Croc, Gator, and Turtle Material!

Jesuslover340

Ill play along. I have a bunch of turtle shell chunks from the cretaceous of MS, as well as a partial skeleton i'm working on, not much to show yet, but this is my best so far.

Cretaceous sea turtle skull internal mold from either the Escondido or Anacacho Fm in Texas. I do wish the bone was still present, and there is still some bone remnants hanging on here and there, but I haven't really seen anything like this anywhere else. I found it in gravel about the same size of the skull and somehow happened to spot it from about 15 ft away and know exactly what it was before I picked it up.

DSC_1536.jpg

DSC_1537.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Getting a pretty large collection of croc material there:fistbump: pretty ironic how they’re relatively rare there when almost every wildlife show I see about Australia has hordes of them nowadays lol. I’ve never found a croc osteoderm here yet but they do find them occasionally. I think I’ve found 1/2 a dozen teeth but gators out number them by at least 20 fold

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the current population of Crocodylus porosus crocodiles aren't "original" to Australia? It's theorized that C. porosus came in and wiped out/out-competed Pallimnarchus pollens and other crocs endemic to Australia  (such as Quinkana). We're not finding C. porosus specimens  (which are common today)...

Of course, you can blow that theory out of the proverbial water if it turns out P. pollens is just a super-sized C. porosus as some have suggested.

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Sarcosuchus teeth I recently got in the mail from a reputable member on this Forum :) :

Screenshot_20171110-001438.jpg

Annnd a Dakosaurus tooth from the late Jurassic of France :)

Screenshot_20171110-001504.jpg

Screenshot_20171110-001454.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

2 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Peace river teeth and scutes

PB030010.JPG

That's a lot of gator teeth!

On 11/9/2017 at 7:16 AM, Jesuslover340 said:

Sarcosuchus teeth I recently got in the mail from a reputable member on this Forum :) :

Screenshot_20171110-001438.jpg

Nice teeth but not very knowledgeable on Croc's so is there anything diagnostic about these teeth that identifies them as Sarcosuchus other than size ?  There are other large crocodyliforms in that fauna with huge teeth like Kaprosuchus saharicus, so it cannot be size only 

12 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

And not the first, croc tooth!

Not sure I understand?

10 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice teeth but not very knowledgeable on Croc's so is there anything diagnostic about these teeth that identifies them as Sarcosuchus other than size ?  There are other large crocodyliforms in that fauna with huge teeth like Kaprosuchus saharicus, so it cannot be size only 

You are correct in implying identification shouldn't be by size alone, as even Sarcosuchus had to be small at one point ( :P ). From what I've gathered, most people familiar with identifying them go off of the robustness of the teeth compared to other crocs in the area. I think a similarly-sized croc in the area has more slender, fine-tipped teeth, and most others are too small to be considered. However, "robustness" can be an obscure term, so after having these teeth confirmed to be Sarcosuchus by a couple of people qualified to identify them as such, I took up a height to width ratio to see if it would reveal anything consistent (keep in mind I can only do the test for these Sarcosuchus teeth, as I have no others and no examples of any of the other crocs found within the same formation to compare to, so this test is just preliminary). Surprisingly, they were all consistent at around 1.6 (same ratio as an Alligator's). Intriguing results, so who knows? Maybe a more comparative test and broader range of specimens might reveal results supporting this prelimary test.

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Not sure I understand?

You are correct in implying identification shouldn't be by size alone, as even Sarcosuchus had to be small at one point ( :P ). From what I've gathered, most people familiar with identifying them go off of the robustness of the teeth compared to other crocs in the area. I think a similarly-sized croc in the area has more slender, fine-tipped teeth, and most others are too small to be considered. However, "robustness" can be an obscure term, so after having these teeth confirmed to be Sarcosuchus by a couple of people qualified to identify them as such, I took up a height to width ratio to see if it would reveal anything consistent (keep in mind I can only do the test for these Sarcosuchus teeth, as I have no others and no examples of any of the other crocs found within the same formation to compare to, so this test is just preliminary). Surprisingly, they were all consistent at around 1.6 (same ratio as an Alligator's). Intriguing results, so who knows? Maybe a more comparative test and broader range of specimens might reveal results supporting this prelimary test.

Crocodile tooth, not crocodilian.

28 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

Crocodile tooth, not crocodilian.

Still lost as to what you mean, sorry. I think I'm reading something wrong.

Just now, Jesuslover340 said:

Still lost as to what you mean, sorry. I think I'm reading something wrong.

I have many alligator teeth, no crocodile teeth.

2 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

I have many alligator teeth, no crocodile teeth.

Ohhhhhh

Pallimnarchus pollens tooth from the Pleistocene of Australia :D

received_1942411345785834.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

So many new bits to post, right Skye? :P

Was fumbling through some very murky water when my foot slid in the muck and hit something. Pulled it out and we got this delightful maxilla piece..with teeth!

IMG_0792.PNG

IMG_0795.PNG

IMG_0793.PNG

IMG_0794.PNG

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

11 hours ago, Ash said:

Was fumbling through some very murky water when my foot slid in the muck and hit something. Pulled it out and we got this delightful maxilla piece..with teeth!

IMG_0792.PNG

IMG_0795.PNG

Wow :envy::wub: Thats an awesome specimen !

Congrats :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 8:44 AM, Jesuslover340 said:

48!? Wow! Wonder why so many turtles? 

And super nice croc material, Steelhead9! How did you even get those?

Back in the 90's a few dealers were bringing Javan fossils to Tucson and other shows.  I believe the material was available in Australia and Europe so a number of collectors have at least a few interesting specimens.  I was too slow to find people with it so I just have a croc scute.  Recently, a friend told me that Javan fossils have been appearing on the market again.  Most of what I've seen are deer teeth and what appear to be water buffalo teeth.  The croc stuff wasn't as common.

3 hours ago, siteseer said:

Back in the 90's a few dealers were bringing Javan fossils to Tucson and other shows.  I believe the material was available in Australia and Europe so a number of collectors have at least a few interesting specimens.  I was too slow to find people with it so I just have a croc scute.  Recently, a friend told me that Javan fossils have been appearing on the market again.  Most of what I've seen are deer teeth and what appear to be water buffalo teeth.  The croc stuff wasn't as common.

Interesting history :) I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for anyone that wants to do trades, though, as I prefer to trade for any foreign specimens not personally found. Currently looking for more obscure crocodilian material; we'll see what turns up :)

In another thread somewhere Jesuslover340 asked me to post a photo of a ziphodont crocodile tooth I told her about.  Here it is (please pardon the misspelling of an old label) - specimen about 9/16 inches or about 1.4cm.

xipho1a.jpg

xipho1b.jpg

The photo doesn't capture the fine serrations on the cutting edges.

Jess

Oh my.. that's lovely! Did you find?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

On 12/8/2017 at 11:25 AM, StevenJDennis said:

Deinosuchus tooth from the Aguja formation of West Texas.

DSCN1406.JPG

DSCN1405.JPG

I love that one. If you ever want to trade or sell it pm me. 

On 11/11/2017 at 12:06 AM, Peace river rat said:

Peace river teeth and scutes

PB030010.JPG

That one gator tooth is the largest I've seen. Dang!

On 11/17/2017 at 1:53 PM, Ash said:

IMG_0792.PNG

IMG_0795.PNG

IMG_0793.PNG

IMG_0794.PNG

Killer find. 

On 11/17/2017 at 1:53 PM, Ash said:

IMG_0792.PNG

IMG_0795.PNG

IMG_0793.PNG

IMG_0794.PNG

Awesome find Ash, congrats!