Show Us Your Croc, Gator, and Turtle Material!

Jesuslover340

Post them up anyway, if you haven't already :D

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

A few Alligator jaws from the Pleistocene of Florida :)

Screenshot_20170823-231459.jpg

20170823_231640.png

20170823_231615.png

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Ooh you are really building up your croc collection Skye

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 1/24/2017 at 1:09 PM, FossilDudeCO said:

@jpc Yes, you are correct!

This was waaaaay back on page 3.

The prep is finally complete and it is headed to the showroom floor!

Prep was completed by Tom Lindgren and his team at GeoDecor.

Holy snarge! :faint:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

On 8/23/2017 at 11:13 PM, Fossil-Hound said:

Those are sweet.

Thanks :) Only gator jaw material I have, but they're nice :) Best crocodylian jaw I have is that unknown one from Australia O.o (unless you also count the ones my husband found before we married).

On 8/23/2017 at 11:16 PM, -Andy- said:

Ooh you are really building up your croc collection Skye

Playing catch-up with you :P

Here's a rare beauty-an Alligator osteoderm from northwest OKLAHOMA (Pleistocene Pliocene):

received_1806692989357671.jpeg

Only one I've seen!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

Here's mine. Acquired during a trade. All of these are Virginia based finds. Large scute, two large crocodile teeth, and two smaller crocodile teeth (one has compressions). I'll have to ID these later.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Trying to make me jealous? :P

Here's a piece of Pleistocene croc skull from Australia today (Pallimnarchus):

Screenshot_20170825-200246.jpg

Here's some of my British collected material. I may get around to posting my Australian Cretaceous turtle bits later on. 

For now, these are crocodilian (Diplocynodon hantoniensis) and turtle (Emys and Trionyx) fossils that i've found from the Bouldnor Formation on the Isle of Wight, in England. About 33 million years old (earliest Oligocene epoch). 

Diplocynodon teeth: 

59a014f776bcc_croc1.jpg.7b3f7bcc583d56eacfea0a2e45cf05a2.jpg

59a014fc4c5a2_croc2.jpg.871e7b5d38dea8c64b7c5ce32c0e19b4.jpg

Diplocynodon verts:

59a01542ee2fd_croc3.jpg.10ef57915c25b132134fa81670459cf0.jpg

59a015498acc4_croc4.jpg.96d8ffcda993cd9598e761800c3a07ef.jpg

59a0158a2ed20_croc6.thumb.jpg.3befc0aab844f4d8aca37de01f6a3952.jpg

Diplocynodon scutes (including a parietal skull fragment in the second pic):

59a01585ce5e5_croc5.thumb.jpg.b1f8c61bf94d0aeb343653d03fde7ac8.jpg

59a01591834b9_croc7.thumb.jpg.8c6b777ec8e27973b243e9ead4614a97.jpg

Diplocynodon jaws:

59a015d5da3c1_croc8.thumb.jpg.f8acb3349116f968e01490795abd9533.jpg

59a015dbb6260_croc9.thumb.jpg.115ebc795c40f4201d20dd8439eda105.jpg

Some Emys turtle shell fragments (got literally hundreds of these):

59a0166e0a42e_turtle1.thumb.jpg.1e43fe772631e9700a08423f70c6c08d.jpg

Large piece of Trionyx shell:

trionyx.jpg.db8c8ec9f0e4856494d94cc02249d9a4.jpg

And a final in-situ piece of Trionyx turtle shell on Bouldnor Beach for good measure:

59a01675718c5_turtle2.thumb.jpg.4b9f08c99f565562ccee7e0b3b08a8e9.jpg

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Bout time ya added the pics, Nathan! :P

Were these a salt or freshwater species?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

11 hours ago, Ash said:

Bout time ya added the pics, Nathan! :P

Were these a salt or freshwater species?

Couldn't remember if i posted in this thread yet or not. 

Freshwater. The depositional environment of the Bouldnor Formation however swings back and forth between freshwater lakes, wetlands, brackish lagoons and even fully marine at a few levels. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

Nice! Love the teeth! Lot more common there, it seems...

3 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Nice! Love the teeth! Lot more common there, it seems...

They're fairly common amongst the smaller pebbles and sands on the beach. You can sit in one spot and rake through the shingle by hand and pick them out, usually if you keep at it you can probably get a few in a day. My highest was 5 on a single trip. But as you can see they're all rather small. My biggest is about 15mm. The croc itself was quite small, only a couple metres long i believe, which i find a bit strange since it was the only croc in the area and there was a lot of big tasty mammals roaming around the lakes and wetlands. 

2 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

They're fairly common amongst the smaller pebbles and sands on the beach. You can sit in one spot and rake through the shingle by hand and pick them out, usually if you keep at it you can probably get a few in a day. My highest was 5 on a single trip. But as you can see they're all rather small. My biggest is about 15mm. The croc itself was quite small, only a couple metres long i believe, which i find a bit strange since it was the only croc in the area and there was a lot of big tasty mammals roaming around the lakes and wetlands. 

Perhaps a mammal predator prevailed? 

• 4 weeks later...

Going to add these to the thread to revive it; a scute and jaw of Pallimnarchus pollens, both from the Pleistocene of Aus :)

1506144233122_0917754786_b9e0d3a7.jpg

20170920_155126.thumb.png.69807a55cfd744edbd5e76dbd40fbf29.png

On 8/25/2017 at 0:43 PM, Jesuslover340 said:

Trying to make me jealous? :P

I'm pretty sure that YOU are the one making US all jealous!!! :envy:

Everyone here seriously has some impressive pieces. My only croc/gator fossil is the partial Phosphatosaurus jaw from Khouribga on page 6! :( About time I find some kind of Ice Age croc on the Zandmotor :P

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

I'm pretty sure that YOU are the one making US all jealous!!! :envy:

Everyone here seriously has some impressive pieces. My only croc/gator fossil is the partial Phosphatosaurus jaw from Khouribga on page 6! :( About time I find some kind of Ice Age croc on the Zandmotor :P

Well I don't have any Phosphatosaurus material :P

21 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Well I don't have any Phosphatosaurus material :P

Haha, alright, good point. :ighappy:

Your reptile collection is still much larger than mine! You should feel proud, that's for sure! 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

8 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Haha, alright, good point. :ighappy:

Your reptile collection is still much larger than mine! You should feel proud, that's for sure! 

Only because I've taken the effort to expand the reptile section of the collection :P Reptiles are a lot easier to trade and obtain as fossils.

4 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Only because I've taken the effort to expand the reptile section of the collection :P Reptiles are a lot easier to trade and obtain as fossils.

I should also put more effort into making my reptile collection bigger... They're so fascinating!

Max Derème

9 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I should also put more effort into making my reptile collection bigger... They're so fascinating!

You should!

Well, this weekend has proved @Ash and I sorely wrong. Typically, we only find a crocodile (Pallimmarchus pollens) scute a year. But this last weekend, we've found THREE! One being the most largest and most complete we have ever found! 

Here's the latest one:

1506910289962_0593351114_b9e0d3a7.jpg

1506910289953_0405509438_b9e0d3a7.jpg

This is the second:

Screenshot_20171002-194847.jpg

This was our scute for the year until we found three this weekend:

1506144233122_0917754786_b9e0d3a7.jpg

1506144233117_0599063423_b9e0d3a7.jpg

Annnnd the BIG one. When we first saw this in the bank, the same thought went through our mind: croc scute. But in the back of my mind, I tried to still my hopes, believing it could be just a regular fragment of flat bone. But as we dug around it to loosen the dirt, I could feel the pitting on the underside...imagine our shock when we pulled it all out!

1506836031023_0751207274_b9e0d3a7.jpg

Screenshot_20171002-194832.jpg

Many good memories made this weekend. The highlight for me remains with the fragment of euowenia jaw.