North Sulphur River ID

wendyeeeo

Can anyone help me ID this find?  I found it in the North Sulphur River in March of this year.  I was guessing some sort of scute or plate?  Maybe skin?

Thanks!

IMG_9917.jpg

IMG_9920.jpg

IMG_9922.jpg

IMG_9923.jpg

IMG_9924.jpg

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

I don't know what your thing is, but it sure seems interesting. 

If I'm not mistaken, among others, @KimTexan and @JarrodB regularly hunt in Texas so they might have a good idea of what your find is.

Happy hunting!

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thanks for the welcome!  And thank you for the suggestions for help!  Much appreciated!

Wendy

I think it's a worn piece of a scaphite ammonite. Pic for comparison. 

download.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

I think it's a worn piece of a scaphite ammonite. Pic for comparison. 

33 minutes ago, wendyeeeo said:

Thanks for the welcome!  And thank you for the suggestions for help!  Much appreciated!

Wendy

Told'ya he'd be able to help! :D 

And you're welcome, but the best thanks should go to Jarrod obviously. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thank you both so much!  It saves me tons of time researching if I get help like this!  You're awesome!

I don't see any features that resemble any ammonite, I do not have a guess as to what it is though

It looks like concretionary material (calcite) possibly growing on an unidentified fossil. It is not a fragment of a scaphite ammonite because the bumps are not evenly sized and spaced and do not form rows like the photo posted by JarrodB.

Consider placing the rock in dilute pool acid to see if a bone or wood fossil is in the center.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I’m with the concretion group. Specifically including a fragment of the upper valve of an Exogyra oyster.

I can’t believe a fragment of one of those things I collected would ever be useful, but here we are. Here is a pic of one of mine. Can you see the similarity? I have numerous whole ones with both valves so why pick up a broken one? Looks like a match to me.

34D4709C-83DB-4387-9684-CEE57B60B696.thumb.jpeg.77e9c0cf7d93408c032da213c348ab86.jpeg

I love hunting the NSR. We should get together some time and go. It is hard to find female hunting partners so I almost always go alone.

It looks close to a Ophiomorpha-like burrow wall fragment.

5ac6b3624de20_Pebbleburrows.thumb.jpg.7ee98cfe1e02dbada1ab653ec957df78.jpg

picture from here

...other ones from here:

5ac6b615b7926_post-2410-0826178001291587676.thumb.jpg.335958431e14af3e078477bc0da2996d.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Naw, it’s s plain old NSR concretion. Sometimes as they roll around they pick up junk and can snowball into big old things. That is usually when they are softer though. I’ve seen them developing rolling in the river picking up more stuff. I think that’s what happened to this one.

There area number of these tubular concretions out there. Not sure why they form in tubes. One I have I wondered if it is a bone. This isn’t the one I wonder if it’s a bone, but I do wonder what it is or was. I kind of think whatever it was became phosphatized and then crumbled or deteriorated inside the concretion. This one is about 2 inches in diameter.

BF90D9B8-DF8B-4497-8ED0-5D296EFD91ED.thumb.jpeg.7bc1dc54df50f8604c9b655f94d27b09.jpeg

10 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Naw, it’s s plain old NSR concretion. Sometimes as they roll around they pick up junk and can snowball into big old things. That is usually when they are softer though. I’ve seen them developing rolling in the river picking up more stuff. I think that’s what happened to this one.

There area number of these tubular concretions out there. Not sure why they form in tubes. One I have I wondered if it is a bone. This isn’t the one I wonder if it’s a bone, but I do wonder what it is or was. I kind of think whatever it was became phosphatized and then crumbled or deteriorated inside the concretion. This one is about 2 inches in diameter.

BF90D9B8-DF8B-4497-8ED0-5D296EFD91ED.thumb.jpeg.7bc1dc54df50f8604c9b655f94d27b09.jpeg

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a nsr concretion?

Edited by Malone
Spell check changed my entry

28 minutes ago, Malone said:

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a nsr concretion?

Sometimes well known areas are abbreviated; NSR = North Sulphur River.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Just now, DPS Ammonite said:

Sometimes well known areas are abbreviated; NSR = North Sulphur River.

Thank you!