Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

Wow that is incredible. You definitely do some fine work. Where ever it ends up that’s going be a jewel in any collection. 

all the best Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Here are a few Cockerelites that I finished up recently. I’m working on a monster Mioplosus now.

95E99302-1694-406A-8279-B2EC990D9FF3.thumb.jpeg.2306faca1b461ae4f61e37b3e508017d.jpeg  C4C36066-945F-405B-A922-852AC3F1BC2A.thumb.jpeg.19fa48bf6cff8edac19cc86fa5b50290.jpeg

Nice work!

Can't wait to see the Mioplosus. :popcorn:

• Thank You 1

You make those fish sit so naturally in the rock, Kris. Your work seems so effortless. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:27 PM, fossilhunter21 said:

Nice work!

Can't wait to see the Mioplosus. :popcorn:

The Mioplosus turned out to be a monster Diplomystus. It's close to 22" long. The mouth isn't as drastically upturned as most diplos are so it confused me... until I got to the armored scales between the head and the dorsal fin. That's a dead giveaway. There's a bit of bone displacement that shifted some of the bone orientation.

I'm 30 hours into this fish already with at least 10-15 more to go. It's a tough prep. There's a hard, sticky layer right on top of the fish that I can't abrade off without burning through the scales. This means that I have to switch to a detail scribe after roughing through more than 1/2" of matrix on the entire fish! On top of this, the bone is pretty brittle so I have to be extremely careful not to blow it off the fish!!! :duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2: I spent 7 hours yesterday just prepping the caudal fin!

On 8/20/2021 at 6:29 PM, Pagurus said:

You make those fish sit so naturally in the rock, Kris. Your work seems so effortless. 

Thanks. It's almost like they died right there. :P The trick is getting your scribe work as close to vertical as possible on the perimeter of the fish and not letting your abrasive travel past the perimeter as much as possible to keep from abrading the micro layer on the surface of the slab.

• I found this Informative 2

10 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

monster Diplomystus. It's close to 22" long.

22”?! Wow! I just put a tape measure against my 14” one and wow! That things gotta be huge!:default_faint:

Edited by Randyw
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The Mioplosus turned out to be a monster Diplomystus. It's close to 22" long.

Your into the 'grand daddy' size!  looking forward to seeing this one.

RB

• I Agree 2

I just wrapped up the prep on the granddaddy Diplo. This beast took me 44 hours in total. There was a hard/sticky layer right on top of the fish so, lots of detail scribe work on this one. It has some disarticulation on the dorsal and anal fins but is otherwise really nice.

DD352611-9EB3-460B-8DCD-1543DC1EEECB.thumb.jpeg.5bd9ca68d6fa0dd8faf96ab3d7f71530.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 11

Really a wonderful specimen Kris, a giant, almost in perfect condition, and fantastically prepped. You did a great job on this one.

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Fabulous!  Congrats on the find and kudos to the first rate prep!

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Amazing job!!! A quick Google search revealed that the record Diplo is 26 inches! Only 4 inches away!! Fingers crossed for some more monster Diplos!:fingerscrossed:

• Thank You 1

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

11 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks. Unfortunately, this one belongs to a client. :P

A very happy client I think.

• Thank You 1

Hey Kris, these mature diplo's always remind me of the sockeye salmon.  and get a load of the way that fish makes the 1 inch cube look sooooooooooo small!  Wonderful fish Kris.

RB

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Hey Kris, these mature diplo's always remind me of the sockeye salmon.  and get a load of the way that fish makes the 1 inch cube look sooooooooooo small!  Wonderful fish Kris.

RB

This one was a whopper for sure. And the slab is approximately 3' square and 2" thick... Not fun to move around on the prep table!

• 5 weeks later...

I’m working on a very well preserved Diplomystus right now. Check out the preservation on the caudal fin! I should wrap this prep up in the next few days.

44FB0EE8-5C15-43BA-82FF-3D1BE275074D.thumb.jpeg.a83f11995671d70e3c03e88fd6a0f313.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

Looks great so far! That is some very fine preserved detail there!

(I'll send you my mailing address when it's done. :P :D )

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Looks great so far! That is some very fine preserved detail there!

(I'll send you my mailing address when it's done. :P :D )

I don't think my client would appreciate that very much. The rest of the fish is just as nice.

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Ooooooooo! Luverly! :wub:

Yah. I love prepping nearly perfectly preserved fossils!