Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

Preservation may not be perfect but its cool having two species, facing the same direction on the same plate

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

3 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Preservation may not be perfect but its cool having two species, facing the same direction on the same plate

Yep. If the preservation had been better, this would have been on my wall already. :P My fingers are crossed for the future.

I too love the combo and orientation! Someone will be very happy to have it I'm sure. Know I would

@Ptychodus04, keep working at it, I'm sure one if these days you find one good enough to keep :thumbsu:

23 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I can only imagine how selective you have become after the thousands you have prepped.

Most of those 'thousands' were just knightia's in the split fish layers.  Back then there were much fewer quarry's and nobody let you dig in the 18 inch.

RB

• 2 weeks later...

I just wrapped up this Cockerelites. It’s big for a little fish and the preservation is as close to perfect as one could ask. There’s some minor disarticulation of the dorsal, anal, and pelvic fins but I’m super picky (as I’ve mentioned before). I’ve only prepped one that was better.

A0A9C536-A7A6-4B16-A984-D09062DEE62A.thumb.jpeg.df745021c3e3436ae7f4d1552c2202ed.jpeg

3A98ECA8-E199-412A-91B9-444D475A6450.thumb.jpeg.bd8708f3583cd915a479005403323f8e.jpeg

2E67BEF4-6CEE-49BB-A4E4-6EA960F22AFA.thumb.jpeg.888a5c04bf9d99269b2ba79f43a09c4e.jpeg

On my way out of the lab, I realized that it’s probably time to clear out the detritus of the last 9 months of prepping. The picture makes the pile look smaller than it is in person. :duh2:

0EF11E87-7C2E-4B26-934B-7A64B35045C5.thumb.jpeg.2fcb0c0362a48357564bbef5346e7890.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

2nd best cockerellites is great! Your right, basically perfect

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

Beautiful fish and great prep job! I’ll be happy if mine comes out half as good as that one And that’s quite a pile of trimmings!

Edited by Randyw
  • Thank You 1

Great fish, and even greater prep work!

Thanks for showing us, Kris! 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have always enjoyed your preps, Kris (if you want to discard any of them then I’ll take care of it). This is a wall-worthy fish to me though! Wonderfully done!

Another great prep Kris! Occasionally I'll go back through this thread from start to finish, it's truly amazing how much fabulous prep you've done in just a couple years. 

Do you do your scribe work outside of the blast box?

21 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I have always enjoyed your preps, Kris (if you want to discard any of them then I’ll take care of it). This is a wall-worthy fish to me though! Wonderfully done!

Thanks. This fish is listed in the sales section. I regularly get rid of my fish. My local rock shop buys most of them.

15 hours ago, Huntonia said:

Another great prep Kris! Occasionally I'll go back through this thread from start to finish, it's truly amazing how much fabulous prep you've done in just a couple years. 

Do you do your scribe work outside of the blast box?

Thanks. It helps to have so many fish to prep. :thumbsu:

I do my scribe work inside the cabinet unless it is on a really big fish. Then I scribe outside the cabinet.

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

These fish are pretty rotten. Lots of decomposition on both of them. But the placement is pretty neat.

I don't know what you are thinking, that cockerellites looks great

41 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I don't know what you are thinking, that cockerellites looks great

He’s got some serious fin issues. Dorsal and anal fins are completely missing. Most of the caudal fin is missing as well. Still a cool little fish though.

12 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

He’s got some serious fin issues. Dorsal and anal fins are completely missing. Most of the caudal fin is missing as well. Still a cool little fish though.

I see that now but the association of the two fish are still pretty cool

This was a tough prep. The Cockerelites was loosely adhered to the matrix (on the bottom side only) and was regularly trying to peel off. One of the benefits of prepping under a microscope is that you can often see this movement before a section of fish goes flying off. This one was really problematic and required copious amounts of cyanoacrylate and Paraloid to stabilize it. This made for a slow prep but, in the long run, it turned out very well.CB4E2520-8746-40E3-B641-6287F94476E0.thumb.jpeg.c5198707a7d423a55266329dab9e73bf.jpeg

B49145D5-7AAD-4D6C-A2B5-3161727ACE24.thumb.jpeg.d0a03b9d3d584cbd172bfb5817d92e36.jpeg

Edited by Ptychodus04
  • Enjoyed 7

47 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This made for a slow prep but, in the long run, it turned out very well.

I agree wholeheartedly. :)

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Looks great, I wouldn't be able to tell this was a hard prep. Both fish and leaves are known from the great river formation, none of which are rare but why is there never an association of a fish and a leaf?

10 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Looks great, I wouldn't be able to tell this was a hard prep. Both fish and leaves are known from the great river formation, none of which are rare but why is there never an association of a fish and a leaf?

It happens sometimes. I have a fish with a reed/flower blossom in association. I need to finish the prep. I only started it 2 years ago! :default_rofl:

It’s from the bottom cap so the rock is crazy hard.