Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

This Knightia was almost a keeper. It’s missing a bit of face and the fins have some issues. I think I’ve become too picky. 

It’s going into the pile going to the rock shop.

5C80BAD9-927E-4067-BE23-3CB5EA77E845.thumb.jpeg.91ed11737d2f307218f9933200bf9e5f.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

think I’ve become too picky.

I’ve been telling you that for a long time! :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This Knightia was almost a keeper. It’s missing a bit of face and the fins have some issues. I think I’ve become too picky. 

It’s going into the pile going to the rock shop

Which shop? I'd take it (though Canada still won't let me drive down so guess I'll still have to wait

6 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

Which shop? I'd take it (though Canada still won't let me drive down so guess I'll still have to wait

I have an order to fill from my local rock shop. Will Canada allow shipping of vertebrates into the country? Send me a PM if you want to discuss further. :thumbsu:

8 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I have an order to fill from my local rock shop. Will Canada allow shipping of vertebrates into the country? Send me a PM if you want to discuss further. :thumbsu:

Not too worried about shipping into Canada as I live in Alaska but we usually drive from home to the lower 48 so I can shop when and where I want lol.

7 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

Not too worried about shipping into Canada as I live in Alaska but we usually drive from home to the lower 48 so I can shop when and where I want lol.

I guess I could have looked at your profile and figured out that you were saying that you can’t drive into Canada. :DOH: :P 

I’ve contemplated driving from Texas to Alaska but I haven’t been able to secure that kind of time away from work yet.

43 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I guess I could have looked at your profile and figured out that you were saying that you can’t drive into Canada. :DOH: :P 

I’ve contemplated driving from Texas to Alaska but I haven’t been able to secure that kind of time away from work yet.

Just tell them you have to pick up some fossils :fingerscrossed: Haven't driven to Texas but multiple times to Arizona and back. Beautiful drive! Wish I could fossil hunt on the way but Canada might get upset if I tried to take any home :oO:

This little Diplo isn’t preserved very well but it prepped up fairly nicely.64925501-F5BB-407F-84D4-692A78D65008.thumb.jpeg.c67dbf0d1a17b5d9f106e39a91d3ebb5.jpeg

I know this isn’t a fish but this leaf came out of the quarry at the same time and I don’t want to open a new thread about leaves.:P 

12828522-928E-43B4-A46B-554C0A3ACEE3.thumb.jpeg.9d6681a933afc39bec8263f3da7e4fdd.jpeg

You did this one a solid, Kris. Even for a so-so Diplo, you brought out its best side. :) 

And, hey, leaves are cool, too. Was this part of a prep, or did it come out this way? I know these can be very thin...

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Kane said:

You did this one a solid, Kris. Even for a so-so Diplo, you brought out its best side. :) 

And, hey, leaves are cool, too. Was this part of a prep, or did it come out this way? I know these can be very thin...

Thanks Kane. The leaf was mostly exposed. I prepped a bit around the edges and the stem. It is basically a carbon stain. Not an easy prep!!

3 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks Kane. The leaf was mostly exposed. I prepped a bit around the edges and the stem. It is basically a carbon stain. Not an easy prep!!

Was it a low PSI baking soda gig?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

8 hours ago, Kane said:

Was it a low PSI baking soda gig?

This was Micro Jack work combined with a microscope, steady hand, and a touch of luck. :P

The leaf material was so soft that it would crumble if you looked at it too hard. Thankfully, there was an extremely soft micro layer of matrix on top of the leaf. I used the stylus to get close and let the exhaust air act as the cutting force when I got close enough.

I know locked out a couple more fish today. For the before pictures, imagine the rock with no fish showing. :P

Unfortunately, the Diplo didn’t have much in the way of scales preserved. He also has some displaced jaws. I wasn’t planning to keep either of them so I’m not disappointed. :D

I’ll have to start calling these gas fish like @RJB has gas crabs!

11628101-368C-4ABE-BDA9-12FD03B2E155.thumb.jpeg.6e47dfd5a4479cb37d08458683ab5cf5.jpeg

3975DB43-BAAF-4314-8C85-97589482FAEA.thumb.jpeg.b4ca19400da329a29372966544fdb2c5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 1

I still think they look great! Maybe if I practice for the rest of my life I may get 1/2 as good as you guys!

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Randyw said:

I still think they look great! Maybe if I practice for the rest of my life I may get 1/2 as good as you guys!

Don’t sell yourself short. You already do really good work. You have the right amount of patience for prepping... limitless. :D

40 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

They all have some fin issues.

Fin issues; they all look fine to me

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

9 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Fin issues; they all look fine to me

They are better than many commercial offerings but I’m on the hunt for perfection (or as close as possible) for my collection. In fact, I’ve only kept 6 of the approximately 400 fish that I’ve prepped over the last 2 years. :duh2:

• I found this Informative 4

Nice work, all around though, Kris. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice work, not the best fish but still quite pleasing to the eye. Those six would surely be the highlights of any GRF collection!

I hope you find many more of those perfect keepers in the years to come! :)

1 hour ago, Randyw said:

They look great!

Is that 2 cockerelites? I’m so jealous! Someday I’ll get to do one I’m hoping!

Thanks all.

Yes, those are Cockerelites. I came home with a dozen of them from my last trip. Don’t worry, I have one set aside for you still.

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Don’t worry, I have one set aside for you still.

I remember! I’m not doubting you But with all the COVID mess and everything going on I’m not taking anything as a certainty. 3 of my close co workers have been diagnosed with COVID since thanksgiving and as With my lung problems I’m considered extremely high risk if I catch it right now I’m considering every day I’m clear as a gift.....

• I found this Informative 3

14 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

They all have some fin issues.

Me thinks if one can find a fish with no fin issues, then one is doing purty dang good.  :)  

RB