Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Awesome! Why don’t you come on over this evening and take a look at it? :P

Touché!

The Eocene is a big time (and place??) I could send a deputy around?

747240D9-1F26-4578-9CF4-B277F85D4491.jpeg.30ae80565a943b3910b5ee50af4df3f2.jpeg

2 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Touché!

The Eocene is a big time (and place??) I could send a deputy around?

:P It’s almost like the Eocene happened all over the world.

No deputies, it’s you or nobody. :D With my luck, you would send @RJB and he would expect a full Texas BBQ before he confiscated my oversized Eocene herring. :default_rofl:

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

:P It’s almost like the Eocene happened all over the world.

It is isnt it :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

No deputies, it’s you or nobody. :D With my luck, you would send @RJB and he would expect a full Texas BBQ before he confiscated my oversized Eocene herring. :default_rofl:

Fair enough! Oh boy now I want BBQ. Looking forward to seeing progress on the fish :thumbsu:

13 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

As acting fish and game warden for the Eocene I'm happy to help :thumbsu:

Impersonating an officer of the law is a crime sir. I'm going to have to confiscate all of your fossils and issue you a $27 fine payable to TFF.:P

5 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

Impersonating an officer of the law is a crime sir. I'm going to have to confiscate all of your fossils and issue you a $27 fine payable to TFF.:P

All my fossils! :default_faint:Oh boy, I’m going to have to fight This...

right that’s it we are going on Judge Judy. What could go wrong?

”Let me get this straight..... you are claiming to be a fish and game warden for The Eocene of planet earth (looks at notes) a period between 56 and 34 million years ago??”

CB40E173-C680-4D71-A13A-86F0C3FAB9F4.jpeg.4862b9ac9e1b212063a08ee10d5d9ee5.jpeg

We now return to the scheduled program: @Ptychodus04 Fossil Prep Prepapalooza. 

Ok, this guy really is a beast. I followed the caudal fin rays out to their ends and threw a tape measure on the fish now that I have him bookended. He came in at 19” nose to toes! The fins are looking to be in good shape and there’s no face problems so this one should turn out to be a real gem.

D4A93FA7-3A2B-418E-BAF4-251AFC179B01.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Ok, this guy really is a beast. I followed the caudal fin rays out to their ends and threw a tape measure on the fish now that I have him bookended. He came in at 19” nose to toes! The fins are looking to be in good shape and there’s no face problems so this one should turn out to be a real gem.

Definitely a keeper :thumbsu:

That bottom tail fin just snuck in there on the slab to giv you a complete fish.

It will scrub up nicely!

23 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

Definitely a keeper :thumbsu:

That bottom tail fin just snuck in there on the slab to giv you a complete fish.

It will scrub up nicely!

Actually, the slab continues. The lighter layer on top delaminated and the layer below is slightly darker. I may abrade that part to take off the darker layer or, I’ll split the rest of the slab along that line to make the coloration more consistent.

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Actually, the slab continues. The lighter layer on top delaminated and the layer below is slightly darker. I may abrade that part to take off the darker layer or, I’ll split the rest of the slab along that line to make the coloration more consistent.

Ah, I see, I thought where the light layer ended to the left was the edge of the slab.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:59 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

D4A93FA7-3A2B-418E-BAF4-251AFC179B01.jpeg

That there is one big swimmer. I don't know if diplomystus were cannibalistic, but that monster could have eaten my biggest one. Can't wait to see it finished. 

9 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Ah, I see, I thought where the light layer ended to the left was the edge of the slab.

It kind of looks that way for sure. Thankfully, there’s more matrix over there.

5 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

That there is one big swimmer. I don't know if diplomystus were cannibalistic, but that monster could have eaten my biggest one. Can't wait to see it finished. 

This is the biggest one I’ve ever prepped. I think it could hold its own with @RJB‘s bully Diplo he keeps talking about. :P

37 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I think it could hold its own with @RJB‘s bully Diplo he keeps talking about.

Bully Diplo?   That sounds like a great name for him.  Hope you dont mind me using it once ive got him all prepped out and finished?

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Bully Diplo?   That sounds like a great name for him.  Hope you dont mind me using it once ive got him all prepped out and finished?

RB

Sure. Go right ahead.

Is it unethical to bet on hypothetical prehistoric fish fights? :shrug: Because I got 20 bucks on "the beast". I might be whistling a different tune once a get a look at "bully diplo".

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

Is it unethical to bet on hypothetical prehistoric fish fights? :shrug: Because I got 20 bucks on "the beast". I might be whistling a different tune once a get a look at "bully diplo".

It’s probably ok since they’re both already dead.

Slowly but surely it’s coming along. I had to stop abrasive work as the micro-layer of matrix immediately on top of the fish is super soft. This sounds like it would be good but the problem is the layer above it. It is harder than the bone. So, once I abrade through it, the soft stuff is gone instantly and the bones get damaged. All the current progress has been with the Micro Jack... very slow but it isn’t tearing up the specimen which is a plus.03E6A855-CF6A-41B0-ABC2-C514B306DF29.thumb.jpeg.aefa2cd211affb5ee94373faa5e3a646.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

On 8/2/2019 at 9:20 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Eocene herring. :default_rofl:

Marinated in wine sauce? Send it. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

6 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Marinated in wine sauce? Send it. 

More like whine. My back hurts, why is the rock so hard, can’t someone clean up the mess in this lab? Why does Texas have to be so hot? :P

Lower jaws look to be in place.  Thats good.  Anul fin is lookin good.  Thats always good.  Tail looks like its going to be there.  Thats good.  if im seeing it right, the dorsal fin looks to me out of place?   My fingers are crossed for you.

RB

46 minutes ago, RJB said:

Lower jaws look to be in place.  Thats good.  Anul fin is lookin good.  Thats always good.  Tail looks like its going to be there.  Thats good.  if im seeing it right, the dorsal fin looks to me out of place?   My fingers are crossed for you.

RB

The mouth is closed with jaws (and teeth) in place! Very good. The anal fin looks like it is going to be nicely positioned and mostly complete. I'm going super slow with the Micro Jack to uncover it without blowing right through the hair thin rays. Dorsal fin is in the proper position but is slightly more closed than one typically sees in a big diplo.