Large Shell Fossil discovered Devonian fish when cleaning

oncandlewood

oh what happenes is the area is supposed to be all devonian but erosion can bring down the river from other time lines. the shale fossils are most likely all devonian. i never saw any other bones in area like this one, just rocks with sealife 9cronids shells etc.from the bottom of ocean..cant explain the bone. was all devonian.is near river.

Modern Bone shows fluorescence, but apparently only when it still contains protein.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27404617

It says short wavelengths in the article, but longwave UV is short compared to visible.

so its either very old and mineralized or rather new. .

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 4

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

:unsure:

I was hoping it wouldn't come to this but it may be time to suggest the tap test.

Try tapping it lightly with something like a spoon. If it's mineralized the sound should be a high pitched ring like would be made by  fine china. Bone will give a lower pitched sound.

• I found this Informative 1

A burn test may be needed. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

ill look into geology of area. but may have come down river from New york .but nearby is NJ where they find duck billed dinosaurs etc. and rivers etc may have traveled other direction.  hmm   i have a big rock. maybe Dino bone maybe nothing. looks like worn black shark tooth stuck in it and scratch marks near tooth.  dont know if is or was a bone.was among black rocks but this is colored like a dinosaur bone so stood out.so kept it. river was low and i was kayaking.this was years ago. anyhow ill show some pics.maybe interestingly nothing or a kneecap of a mastadon etc. rock looks like been tumbled in the river.

IMG_8649.JPG

IMG_8656.JPG

IMG_8644.JPG

IMG_8645.JPG

32 minutes ago, oncandlewood said:

ll look into geology of area. but may have come down river from New york .but nearby is NJ where they find duck billed dinosaurs etc. and rivers etc may have traveled other direction.  hmm 

Second that hmm

If your estimate of the test results is accurate you need to take this to a museum. It's a truly unusual find. 

It would not be expected in Mesozoic sediments either.

6 minutes ago, oncandlewood said:

will consider thank you. did you see my latest bone

Do me a favor. Try tapping it. Does it make the exact same sound as the other one ?

8 minutes ago, oncandlewood said:

does that look to you like a worn black shark tooth stuk to outer?

No.

Hello my last fossil to share for tonight are very early trees fossils from PA.i have tree plants etc ferns.too

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

i wanted to mention. long wave and short wave are a world of difference .short will burn your eyes easily. long can go through glass and is less as short has difficulty penetrate normal glass -makes a frosty sheen . also with the minerals and rocks some will illuminate under both (if do likely differently)some long uv only and others short only. visit Franklin NJ museums if get the chance and learn about them. i have a short wave plug in handheld lamp and large longwave display light and longwave flashlights. dark box for the short wave. display for longwave            https://geology.com/articles/fluorescent-minerals/             this teaches about uv . hard for my camera to show but is more colorful than shown. 

IMG_4213.JPG

IMG_4208.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Yes nearby NJ just across the river the found the first full skeleton of duck billed dino and many others. PA  is mostly devonian.first fish and first mammals cronids shells etc. the small bone maybe a early mammal.

2 hours ago, oncandlewood said:

very early trees fossils from PA

Sigillaria periderm. Mold fossil of a lycopod.

The first tetrapods are from the Devonian. Mammals come along in the late Triassic. Artiodactyls some time in the Tertiary. 

7 hours ago, oncandlewood said:

i wanted to mention. long wave and short wave are a world of difference .short will burn your eyes easily. long can go through glass and is less as short has difficulty penetrate normal glass -makes a frosty sheen .

Hi Oncandlewood,

you are of course right that shortwave and longwave UV are very different things.

I only wanted to say that the "shortwave light" they mention in the article is longwave UV, 490 nm being the short end of the visible spectrum, but the long of UV.

As far as I know many minerals that show flourescence under long UV do so also under short UV (more brightly usually because of the higher energy) .

So I´d still say fluorescence alone doesn´t prove a bone to be fossil. (Although it makes it a very interesting fossil in case! )

The other tests point to solid fossilisation, the morphology clearly says mammal, the location says "unusual context", so I am curious where this leads.

Best Regards,

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

Nice collection by the way.

And sorry, no idea about the other pieces.

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

22 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

the location says "unusual context"

This just triggered a memory of a post that I found similarly perplexing. Bones had been found here in Maine which appeared to test as mineralized fossils, but would not be expected in this geological context. The poster contacted the state museum and was told that the bones tested that way because they had been cooked.