Large Shell Fossil discovered Devonian fish when cleaning

oncandlewood

some time back i had a geological chart in computer of area. if find it i remember shows location mostly split to all 3 era Devonian but across the small river is a mix of all other time periods and as with environment always changing could have been pushed this way. also to remember the glaciers dragged alot of things down across the area (new England)from Canada and  dragged down dropping off fossils with boulders. here is a large football size hard mud stone full of shells i found landscaping years back.as an example.was found in Patterson NY.i left with home owner to show her kids. when returned it was outside along her garden once again. lol

110614140707-01.jpg

110614140610-01.jpg

110614140619-01.jpg

110614140651-01.jpg

You have an interesting array of items in this thread. I  believe the ankle bone may have been dropped by someone as it looks to be from the White River badlands out in South Dakota or Nebraska. Since it is hard, and does not burn, I would tentatively agree that is it fossilized. However, the only locations that I have seen those kinds of bone fossilize to look like yours is the aforementioned Bandlands.  The large brown rock is likely just a rock. Maybe mustone or some other hard rock.  The fossil plants you found are bark samples from the Pennsylvanian epoch and look like Sigillaria sp.  Lastly, the chunk of rock with the shell fossils is Devonian of New York. Probably from the Ludlowville formation where limy nodules sometimes form and shells can be preserved in the,m sometimes with golden pyrite.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hello I personally found it myself in a new debris field secluded location..wasnt from out west nor someone dropped it here. .i will have a professional look it over is like porcelain wont burn and tap high pitch. same location found lots of sea life ocean bottom things.i insist it wasnt placed there.  any advice of best place to have it checked. i consider yale. i like the peabody museum.   i must say geological maps can confuse me as i found another map now showing area as Jurrassic to Quaternary.other map i had seen showed as Devonian.  my avatar pic is from a 12x12 plate i found at same location. really nice thousands of shells both sides throughout.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello A update to my ankle bone Fossil you had Identified and the Devonian rock with shell and unknown tiny fossil.i went to Albany NYS Museum as there was a fossil event going on and brought both it with me. The state Paleontologist reviewed them and agreed the ankle bone was as you had described and is a fossil material not just a Bone. Also that the tiny unknown item does appear to be a Devonian Fish fossil. i brought a magnifying lens and can see better in fine detail both sides of the rock fossil. she also looked over the whole stone to see if anything else was there. just few shells. The ankle bone i asked how old it may be and she couldnt guess a date on it. Just agreed what it was .I compared it to one and looks like the deer ankle bone that was at the museum. same size shapes etc.so is likely Deer. Thanks for your help. the location was the Trimmers Rock Formation and immediately below cliff in same area the base is mahantang Formation. the bone likely was carried by some animal and dropped in location which is a devonian area.maybe ate by a animal and traveled to the area and dumped it there or was washed there,erosion..it was just in the wrong location. i find mostly shells,cronids etc sealife there. this i cant explain. even the stromatolites i found at yankee lake- Sullivan County, NY. property. must have been dragged down with the glaciers as they are usually found upstate NY not in the southern part  of NY.

I'm glad you got a satisfactory answer for the fossils you found. The Trimmers Rock and Mahantango are good formations to find Devonian fossils from.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, oncandlewood said:

Hello A update to my ankle bone Fossil you had Identified and the Devonian rock with shell and unknown tiny fossil.i went to Albany NYS Museum as there was a fossil event going on and brought both it with me. The state Paleontologist reviewed them and agreed the ankle bone was as you had described and is a fossil material not just a Bone. Also that the tiny unknown item does appear to be a Devonian Fish fossil. i brought a magnifying lens and can see better in fine detail both sides of the rock fossil. she also looked over the whole stone to see if anything else was there. just few shells. The ankle bone i asked how old it may be and she couldnt guess a date on it. Just agreed what it was .I compared it to one and looks like the deer ankle bone that was at the museum. same size shapes etc.so is likely Deer. Thanks for your help. the location was the Trimmers Rock Formation and immediately below cliff in same area the base is mahantang Formation. the bone likely was carried by some animal and dropped in location which is a devonian area.maybe ate by a animal and traveled to the area and dumped it there or was washed there,erosion..it was just in the wrong location. i find mostly shells,cronids etc sealife there. this i cant explain. even the stromatolites i found at yankee lake- Sullivan County, NY. property. must have been dragged down with the glaciers as they are usually found upstate NY not in the southern part  of NY.

Did she identify the genus or species of fish? 

Or what part it is? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

No i had some info on it she looked it over and agreed.the other bone too. she wouldnt put age of bone nor animal but compared to deer bone at museum. maybe deer. fish . similar to Rhenanida early devonian.