A fossil a day, keeps the Doctor away!

Darktooth

Recently, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced a ban of 100% of non- essential workforce in New York State. Tomorrow evening, what he calls a "Pause" will go into effect. This means we will only be able to go to the grocery store, gas station, pharmacy, solitary exercise, and that's about it. I found out that my company falls under constuction, which makes us an essential workforce. So I will continue to work as well as my wife. We have already been staying home as much as possible but the prospect of this "Pause" going on indefinitely is kind of a bummer. I have seen some great diversion threads recently, so I decided to create another one. For the duration of this "Pause" I will post atleast one pic, maybe more everyday until the pause is over. Pics will be something fossil related, unless this goes on for so long I run out off fossil related items. At that point pics will be like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. Anybody can add to this thread and I encourage others to do so. I do not have an item picked out to post yet so pardon me for a few moments while I search for something to show.:)

• I found this Informative 9

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I will start off with this nice little vert that I collected at Brownies Beach a few years back. I gave it to my son Dylan so it now resides in his collection. If anyone has an idea what it is feel free to speak. :)

20200321_202848.jpg

20200321_202830.jpg

20200321_202809.jpg

Next up is not a fossil but a Herkimer Diamond quartz crystal I cant seem to get a better pic of it with the lighting situation.

20200321_205028.jpg

Good idea... I don't have any trouble finding things to do during 'down time' but I'll have to watch this topic to see what else gets shown. :popcorn::look:

I have found a number of 'herkimers' here in my local Cretaceous shale over the years but they're generally not as good as those from NY, especially when on matrix, so I don't know if they're worth photoing.

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, very good idea, @Darktooth

10 hours ago, Darktooth said:

This means we will only be able to go to the grocery store, gas station, pharmacy, solitary exercise, and that's about it.

Same here since one week!

Well, enough of C-disease, I will present to you a very, very severe case of another disease ;):

Zerfall.jpg.04410dfa9e845c7454b598c51d3246c8.jpg

Width and height of box is 12.5 and 2 cm respectively. It contained a 13 mm thick, polished slab of pyrite-rich coal from the Fohnsdorf coal mine, Styria, Austria. Within short time (1-2 years) it turned into the mess shown above. That´s really the most severe case of pyrite disease I have ever seen. The pic is not good, but you sure don´t want to know every detail of this story...:D

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 6

This is my photo of the day. An ammonite from Italy exchanged with a kind member of the TFF.

IMG_1268.thumb.JPG.cd4406228e92a1d9c73eb9fdde03a979.JPG

Regards,

Ricardo

• I found this Informative 6

7 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Good idea... I don't have any trouble finding things to do during 'down time' but I'll have to watch this topic to see what else gets shown. :popcorn::look:

I have found a number of 'herkimers' here in my local Cretaceous shale over the years but they're generally not as good as those from NY, especially when on matrix, so I don't know if they're worth photoing.

Eric, in my opinion everything and anything is worth showing! I sure would like to see them.

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

Yes, very good idea, @Darktooth

Same here since one week!

Well, enough of C-disease, I will present to you a very, very severe case of another disease ;):

Zerfall.jpg.04410dfa9e845c7454b598c51d3246c8.jpg

Width and height of box is 12.5 and 2 cm respectively. It contained a 13 mm thick, polished slab of pyrite-rich coal from the Fohnsdorf coal mine, Styria, Austria. Within short time (1-2 years) it turned into the mess shown above. That´s really the most severe case of pyrite disease I have ever seen. The pic is not good, but you sure don´t want to know every detail of this story...:D

Franz Bernhard

That is one interesting mess that you have there Franz! Thanks for sharing!

27 minutes ago, ricardo said:

This is my photo of the day. An ammonite from Italy exchanged with a kind member of the TFF.

IMG_1268.thumb.JPG.cd4406228e92a1d9c73eb9fdde03a979.JPG

Regards,

Ricardo

Nice Ammonite Ricardo! Thanks for sharing!

• I found this Informative 2

Here is my first fossil of the day. This is a Goblin shark tooth from Big Brook New Jersey. I collected this I long time ago. At the time, i hadn't really found much that particular day and i was getting discouraged. I was sifting and just couldn't seem to find a good spot that held fossils. Finally a decided to avoid the bigger obvious gravel bars and instead found a spot where gravel had collected up against a fallen tree and under its branches. The gravel was kind of deep, so I kept digging deeper and deeper and I pulled this tooth which is the biggest whole one that I ever found from there. After that other teeth and fossils started coming out of there. Finding that honey hole, made the trip for me.

20200322_084453.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

22 minutes ago, Darktooth said:
8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Eric, in my opinion everything and anything is worth showing! I sure would like to see them.

I would also like to see them, please!! :). I didn´t know that such type of quartz crystals occur in shale, I know them only from carbonate or evaporite rock.

22 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

That is one interesting mess that you have there Franz! Thanks for sharing!

You are welcome!

Franz Bernhard

@FranzBernhard the ones that occur here in New York are found mostly in Super hard Dolomite matrix. Fyi- the thing that makes them special is that they have double terminations, instead of single, like the majority of quartz. Central New Yorks Herkimers are considered the highest quality. And even though double terminated quartz can be found at other locations it is considered a rare occurrence. That being said I have found a couple double terminated quartz Crystal's in rip-rap used to line the shore of Onandaga Lake in Syracuse. What makes this interesting is the fact that the matrix I found them in was chert. They weren't high quality and they had a black mineral inclusion, but still were interesting pieces. I also found some in nodules coming out of a hillside. The nodules themselves ranged from the size of a cantaloupe to a large pumpkin. Again the quality of Crystal's was not great but still interesting for an eager rock hound.

Here is another tooth, which happens to be a favorite of mine. This one was found awhile back at Mataoka Cottages. Never found many teeth there but this beauty made up for it. It is one of my best Cowsharks if not thee best. What I like about it is it is the largest I ever found, only slightly worn but I really like the color banding. The tips of the blades are light color then it gets darker then light again as it goes closer to the root. Another trip maker for that day.

20200322_091813.jpg

Thanks for the infos about Herkimers!

19 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

What makes this interesting is the fact that the matrix I found them in was chert.

Oh no ;)! Now you have to show them to us :D.

Franz Bernhard

Just now, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks for the infos about Herkimers!

Oh no ;)! Now you have to show them to us :D.

Franz Bernhard

Sorry Franz but I no longer own these. After I had my fun looking at them for awhile, they were passed on to a new owner. This happens with most of my finds.

@FranzBernhard I was one of the lucky recipients of Darktooth's herkimers. I was able to extract it from its host rock. The other side of has cleaner planar surface, but the fractured side is more interesting to me in the way it captures the light. I should add that this one was not found in the softer rip-rap, but at the famous NY site for herkimer "diamonds." 

IMG_7514.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

@FranzBernhard I was one of the lucky recipients of Darktooth's herkimers. I was able to extract it from its host rock. The other side of has cleaner planar surface, but the fractured side is more interesting to me in the way it captures the light. I should add that this one was not found in the softer rip-rap, but at the famous NY site for herkimer "diamonds." 

IMG_7514.jpg

Hey Kane, I wondered if you ever tried to remove it from the matrix. Out of curiosity could you post a pic of the other side?

2 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Hey Kane, I wondered if you ever tried to remove it from the matrix. Out of curiosity could you post a pic of the other side?

Can do!

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

From a few day's ago sticking out of the sand. I believe it is clay hardened into Siderite, encasing a horn coral? 2nd two pictures is with a 365 Nn. UV flashlight.  about the size o a lady's thumb.

20200321_092715.jpg

20200321_092730.jpg

20200321_092845.jpg

20200321_092923.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

11 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

@Kane, thanks for that nice Herki! So that one was also in dolostone and not in chert?

@Darktooth

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

Franz, I gave Kane that Herkimer a couple years back when he came to New York for a TFF group fossilhunt. The matrix that held that crystal was Dolomite. It was a chunk that I split off a bigger piece and it contained a vug that held a decent amount of nice quality Crystal's. They all fell off of the matrix except for the one I gave Kane. It was a rather big chunk of matrix for just one crystal so I told him if he wanted to try to remove it he could but that it might break in the process.

37 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

From a few day's ago sticking out of the sand. I believe it is clay hardened into Siderite, encasing a horn coral? 2nd two pictures is with a 365 Nn. UV flashlight.  about the size o a lady's thumb.

20200321_092715.jpg

20200321_092730.jpg

20200321_092845.jpg

20200321_092923.jpg

I think you are right about it being a horn coral. It appears to show some internal structure on the end. 

Thanks, in my area we have folks collecting Septarian nodules, aka lightning stones. Cracked clay hardened hardened into Siderite and filled in with calcite. I polish some. Mostly found around a 15 miles of the lake shore.But this from a farm pond dig so it is not wave tumbled smooth. 

I was very lucky to find this plesiosaur tooth at Big Brook(NJ).  I found it when I really no experience what to look for beside shark teeth.  It was actually in my “I think it’s something, but probably not” pile.  If it wasn’t for TFF it would still be in that pike.   
432085AC-CF3F-4C31-9F28-C736C656D235.jpeg.318ad2cc12f8bcf23e51f3f0cdd6ee13.jpeg0B368B77-B0F0-4092-96E8-9B1AC726D17E.jpeg.5a1f06a5a862434bd3f54f02602c2f75.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

11 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

I was very lucky to find this plesiosaur tooth at Big Brook(NJ).  I found it when I really no experience what to look for beside shark teeth.  It was actually in my “I think it’s something, but probably not” pile.  If it wasn’t for TFF it would still be in that pike.   
432085AC-CF3F-4C31-9F28-C736C656D235.jpeg.318ad2cc12f8bcf23e51f3f0cdd6ee13.jpeg0B368B77-B0F0-4092-96E8-9B1AC726D17E.jpeg.5a1f06a5a862434bd3f54f02602c2f75.jpeg

Plesiosaur teeth are a very rare find at Big Brook. You have done very well for the relatively short time you have been collecting. But you have made up for that with how often you get out, which contributes to your success. Thanks for sharing, Mark!

Here are a few more herks that came from the same vug as Kane's.

20200322_104214.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Without direct sunlight

20200322_104224.jpg

• I found this Informative 3