A fossil a day, keeps the Doctor away!

Darktooth

Here is one that shows a rainbow pattern. This is due to an internal fracture within the crystal. When light hits the fracture just right, in with produce a rainbow. 

Also want to share another fact. Herkimer Diamonds of the highest quality are so clear, that is you put one in a glass of water you will not be able to see it. In a sense, it turns invisible.

20200322_104349.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

And an ol´ rudist, collected 02/16/2020 in the Campanian St. Bartholomä-formation of Styria, Austria (one and only trip to this formation this year).

AN_VaccinitesVesiculosus_16_kompr.thumb.jpg.befdf4462b2b58dffb505f5927dd4357.jpg

These are polished transverse sections of the lower valve about 2 cm below commisure. It has some remnants of the upper valve, so teeth and at least one myophore are preserved as recrystallized original material (calcite). Its not a contest and there is nothing to win, but feel free to label teeth and myophore ;). And whats its name? No googling necessary, everything can be found here in the forum.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 8

21 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

I would also like to see them, please!! :). I didn´t know that such type of quartz crystals occur in shale, I know them only from carbonate or evaporite rock.

You are welcome!

Franz Bernhard

OK, I'll see if I can get any decent photos of them. Yes, they do occur in shale around here. (I don't know how common that is around the world.) My understanding is that silica-rich solutions were pumped up through the cracks in our shale formations by hydrothermal action during the Paleogene, depositing crystals in veins of variable thickness and consistency.

• I found this Informative 3

I made some new boxes/rickers today, here is the first one with a mix of starfish (Germany + France) , echinoids (France, USA, Morocco) and a fern (UK)

20200323_114146.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

34 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

My understanding is that silica-rich solutions were pumped up through the cracks in our shale formations by hydrothermal action during the Paleogene, depositing crystals in veins of variable thickness and consistency.

Such situation is quite common and quartz crystals are quite common in these settings.

However, uncommon are clear, double-terminated, Herkimer-like quartz crystals in such settings.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

Well we do have some double-terminated, but the quality is not so great, at least not in the larger specimens (there have been some nice clear small ones, less than 1cm). The New York ones are the best, I'm sure.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Pixpaleosky said:

I made some new boxes/rickers today, here is the first one with a mix of starfish (Germany + France) , echinoids (France, USA, Morocco) and a fern (UK)

20200323_114146.jpg

Great specimens and nice display!

4 hours ago, Pixpaleosky said:

20200323_114146.jpg

I really like the contents of your Riker! Nicely put together!

10 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

And an ol´ rudist, collected 02/16/2020 in the Campanian St. Bartholomä-formation of Styria, Austria (one and only trip to this formation this year).

AN_VaccinitesVesiculosus_16_kompr.thumb.jpg.befdf4462b2b58dffb505f5927dd4357.jpg

These are polished transverse sections of the lower valve about 2 cm below commisure. It has some remnants of the upper valve, so teeth and at least one myophore are preserved as recrystallized original material (calcite). Its not a contest and there is nothing to win, but feel free to label teeth and myophore ;). And whats its name? No googling necessary, everything can be found here in the forum.

Franz Bernhard

Very interesting transverse sections. As much as I prefer fossil and mineral specimens in their natural state, I do appreciate seeing items cut and polished. That way you get to see details that otherwise would be missed. On that note, I present my first fossil of the day. A slice of mammoth tooth which has been polished and set in some sort of lacquer? I recieved this from my wonderful Secret Santa @MSirmon. I love this piece!

20200323_115635.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

This next item, I picked up at my club's gem and fossil show last summer. I generally do not buy fossils for myself but I felt that this is a stunner. No, it is not huge. There are a few serrations missing (only a few:)). Otherwise the condition it great.  Otodus angustidens from South Carolina. 

20200323_115400.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

39 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

A slice of mammoth tooth which has been polished and set in some sort of lacquer?

Sometimes this is the only way to save a specimen. It seems it was already very crumbly. So someone put it into resin and made the best of it. Not a pristine specimen, but very, very nice! Thanks for sharing!

And I love it when things can be saved in some way! Good job! Much better than throwing it away or let it crumble to dust.
Franz Bernhard

1 minute ago, FranzBernhard said:

Sometimes this is the only way to save a specimen. It seems it was already very crumbly. So someone put it into resin and made the best of it. Not a pristine specimen, but very, very nice! Thanks for sharing!

And I love it when things can be saved in some way! Good job! Much better than throwing it away or let it crumble to dust.
Franz Bernhard

I agree, it is better to try to save it, than have it thrown away.

Here is the last meg that I found myself.  Found a few years back, once again Brownies Beach. 

20200323_125151.jpg

Fossils are like cookies, you can't just have one! Here is a mako that I found last summer in the Miocene of the Potomac River, while on a hunt with @RCW3D. I really like the coloration on this tooth.

20200323_140957.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Just now, hokietech96 said:

Great looking teeth!  

Thanks Mark! All of these have been posted before in different threads on the forum. But considering my collection has been shrinking and I haven't found anything new in awhile, I am trying to have fun with what I got. :)

Here is my pic for the day. Not a fossil but very sentimental. 3 years ago i found this tooth. It is the first tooth I found at the Jersey shore. I was hooked ever since.  Then I got really hooked this past August when I learned of all these other location near me. Haha. I think this a bull or dusky. Leaning towards dusky. 
3C0BD005-1212-40E9-B5CE-2429E4AB5D96.thumb.jpeg.d4c76a3e1dd2f2aeebbc5d8efc5e5aef.jpeg

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

IMG_0479.JPG.30b8f28992a4436ea87e2e9875a362c0.JPG

Very cool Gasropod, Ricardo!

1 hour ago, hokietech96 said:

Here is my pic for the day. Not a fossil but very sentimental. 3 years ago i found this tooth. It is the first tooth I found at the Jersey shore. I was hooked ever since.  Then I got really hooked this past August when I learned of all these other location near me. Haha. I think this a bull or dusky. Leaning towards dusky. 
3C0BD005-1212-40E9-B5CE-2429E4AB5D96.thumb.jpeg.d4c76a3e1dd2f2aeebbc5d8efc5e5aef.jpeg

Nice tooth Mark!  What is the size?

1 hour ago, hokietech96 said:

@Darktooth half an inch.  

Thanks Mark! 

Hi,

Ricardo, I would like to see the aperture of your shell :wub:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Ricardo, I would like to see the aperture of your shell :wub:

Coco

@ricardo 

He may not see your request otherwise.

Dorensigbadges.JPG