Member of the Month - August 2020 - thelivingdead531

Kane

WOW!!! :default_faint: I don’t even know what to say! I step away from the internet for a couple of days and come back to this! I’m truly shocked and immensely honored. I never thought this crown would have ever been bestowed upon myself. Thank you so much!

Backstory...let’s see. I suppose it all started in 1988, though I don’t remember that year very well, so let’s fast forward another year or so to when I remember watching The Land Before Time. As a very young child I loved that movie, and still do (and I still cry watching it, don’t judge me). I wouldn’t say I was obsessed with dinosaurs then, but definitely fascinated and loved them. Then came Jurassic Park (I know, I know), and that love deepened even more. I mean, who doesn’t like a good dinosaur action movie, even if it’s not entirely accurate? I loved dinosaurs and fossils in general, but that’s about as far as my love went, for the time being. I honestly regret not being more obsessed and making a career of it, especially since I always had an interest in geological sciences and the likes.

Anyway! Fast forward to my move to England. That’s where the fun began for me. I was at a Saturday market and saw a stand that was selling fossils. I was incredibly giddy with excitement because up until then I didn’t know that just anyone could go out and buy a fossil. I thought they were all destined for museums. I know, I sound like a naive child but I honestly didn’t know. So, I bought my first fossils that started my ever growing collection, an “enhanced” but still nice Diplomystus dentatus fish from Wyoming (foreshadowing much?) and a very beat up Flexicalymene trilobite from Morocco. This is where you fine folks come into the picture. I started having doubts on the authenticity of these fossils, I mean I did buy them from a market. I found the forum and posted them in the ‘Is it real?’ section. Sure enough, they were real (though not the best examples)!! I have real fossils! Now, here is where I will admit something :ninja:...I never intended to stick around. Hear me out. I thought I would get my confirmation and then be on my merry way...but...you all had to go and be the best people on the planet, willing to help anyone and everyone and in the most polite manner imaginable. The nerve of you all! So, without really knowing it, I stuck around and became obsessed. Now my collection of two fossils has turned into a fossil room! I had the most amazing opportunity to go on hunts in England and I miss it more than you could know. Now I’m in Wyoming and...it’s different. One day I’ll be able to get out to the fish quarries on the other side of the state for some fresh catches. 

Basically, I owe this honor to you all. I have had an even greater honor of knowing and befriending many of you, and for that I’m truly grateful. If it weren’t for this forum and it’s wonderful members, I wouldn’t be writing this rambling (shambling) mess. And I promise not to eat anyone’s brains here, they’re much too valuable and I’m not into delicacies. 

So, cheers to everyone! You’ve made me the happiest member of the undead in the whole world! :beer::wub:

• I found this Informative 18

And a T-rex sized “thank you” to all that have given their congratulations! This just means the world to me! :trex:

• I found this Informative 7

2 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

And I promise not to eat anyone’s brains here.

You can have one of wifey's kidneys if you'd prefer. 

She wouldn't mind. 

I don't think. :D

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

You can have one of wifey's kidneys if you'd prefer. 

She wouldn't mind. 

I don't think. :D

That is such a gracious offer, and if I get desperate enough I may take you up on it, as long as she’s ok with it. I happen to be a very polite member of the undead and wouldn’t think of taking without permission. :tiphat:

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Candace, I'm late to the party but CONGRATULATIONS :yay-smiley-1:

Thanks for being such an enthusiastic member of our community.

Don

Brilliant and congratulations Candace @thelivingdead531. I have enjoyed watching your collection grow here on the forum. It is a pleasure reading your posts. Have a fantastic month 

All the best Bobby. :yay-smiley-1:

Congrats Candace! Well-deserved! :yay-smiley-1:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Congratulations-Well-Deserved.gif.e2389edf7e51836a12614b1f8c141cbb.gif

It's two weeks into August already? This has been a strange year. Anyway, congratulations and well deserved, of course, Candace.  I'm so glad you found the forum, stuck around, and made this an even better place!

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Somehow, I have only now seen this.  Congrats.  Good to see a Wyomer win the Big Prize.

(Still waiting for you to come by the Tate Museum in Casper.  We are open, wear a mask).  

On 8/24/2020 at 10:53 AM, jpc said:

Somehow, I have only now seen this.  Congrats.  Good to see a Wyomer win the Big Prize.

(Still waiting for you to come by the Tate Museum in Casper.  We are open, wear a mask).  

I know, I’m dying to visit! I want to try to make it out there before it starts snowing, but it will probably have to be on a weekend. 

3 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I know, I’m dying to visit! I want to try to make it out there before it starts snowing, but it will probably have to be on a weekend. 

we are closed on Sundays....

• 2 weeks later...