Burrow, Bone, or mineralized iron

FlirtsWithChert

Below are 2 items found on the same day after a few days of heavy rain/high creek water.  Both of these are heavy and have a hard iron-like shell or covering.  The 2nd item was split into 2 pieces when I found it.  It is made of the same material as the first.

We have iron in our well water at the base of the ridge so I’m very familiar with the color and the smell of iron.  These items don’t usually wash up in the creek.  I picked them up because their unusual shape and texture contrasted with the creek’s normal sand and gravel.  

B32F668E-2D0E-4A0E-97E6-C8BADF1BF516.jpeg

927593E5-91FB-4260-9794-3B602D77C3C6.jpeg

7A8C019E-8ADE-492C-8C53-03BB12DF70F3.jpeg

EF2533BF-6386-4F2B-A10F-7EF716FAB5B8.jpeg

All of them remind me of iron oxide concretions. The last one looks like an "Indian paint pot", to me.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It's conceivable that some ironstone concretions like this formed as the result of a biological being, or activity, but there really needs to be clear evidence to consider any to be fossils.