Member of the Month - September 2020 - RuMert

Fossildude19

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Showing fossil finds within city limits offer a unique perspective that most of our children don't envision. They see shows depicting stereotypical views of fossil sites, far removed from their lives. Your posts hopefully will show our youth, fossils are really just under their feet, even in cities. If only they look!!   

:dinothumb::thumbsu::dinothumb:

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

On 2.9.2020 at 8:46 PM, RuMert said:

When I came back to fossil hunting, I started searching for forums and found TFF. In my opinion it's the best hobby and popular science forum in general, let alone paleontological. Very friendly and polite atmosphere, deep knowledge of many members, mature people everywhere. I've never seen long senseless quarrels between members, ridiculous behavior based on illusory superiority, a novice humiliated or a simple question unanswered. It's great the forum unites people from all over the world in a truly internationalist spirit, which is especially important today. I'd like to thank the community and the admins for their hard work and fantastic atmosphere we all enjoy here.

Truer words were never spoke. It's really great to have you aboard. Congratulations on this well-deserved honor.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thank you everybody!

7 hours ago, digit said:

Thanks for being Our Man in Moscow to open up a window into an area that most of us will never see (nor collect)

Well, why not do both?:D It's good we have many men (and women) in Florida, but other places like central Russia definitely need more visitors. BTW I've been to Florida twice, but was not so into fossils at the time. At least I saw the gators:)

Congratulations on the recognition!!! Well deserved. I depend on this forum and the community it represents. You have made it better and I respect you for doing that...

I have lived in Connecticut, New York, Vermont, Texas, and Florida. Florida's fossil record only goes back to the Eocene, but fossils are everywhere and easily accessible. I think that the numbers of fossil hunters in Florida relates to an old American saying 

" The law is named after the notorious American bank robber Willie Sutton, who reputedly replied to a reporter's inquiry as to why he robbed banks by saying "because that's where the money is."

I would love to hunt in Moscow especially with a TFF member easing the way or other places around the world. I have seen gorgeous photos of Alaska and the Swiss Alps just the last couple of days.  It is just that it is so easy and inexpensive to hunt where I live.  :fistbump:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Congratulations, @RuMert!!!  I've also enjoyed reading about your Russian explorations, and have drooled quite a bit over your finds (especially your colourful ammonite finds :drool::ammonite01:).

Congratulations on your well-deserved honor.  I enjoyed reading about your background and I agree completely with the kind words you said about TFF!

Congratulations @RuMert! A very well-deserved award! 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Congrats! Fantastic reports/posts indeed. Fully agree that evolution is observable broadly, in particular in the culture and our social life. I enjoy finding traits of former life in the nearby environment.

I'm a few days late to the party, but congratulations @RuMert! Well deserved. I thoroughly enjoy seeing your posts and finds from across the globe. It's not a place that we get to see often here on TFF.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Congrats you deserve it

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

On 9/3/2020 at 8:55 AM, minnbuckeye said:

They see shows depicting stereotypical views of fossil sites, far removed from their lives. 

I am happy to say that I have a much better source of information than the shows, which usually are biased towards dinosaurs and other large vertebrates. The forum community is much more reliable and has made paleontology a large part of my life. The nearest legal collecting site is a few hours of driving away from where I live, so I rely on the fossil forum's trip reports, such as the ones that @RuMert makes.  On that note, congratulations on the MOTM, RuMert. Reading through your trip reports made quarantine much more bearable. You deserve this honor, so wear that crown proudly!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain