Doubts about iguanodon jaw fossil authenticity

Sergio Barbeira

Hello to everyone!

This is my first discussion on this forum. I have just started to collect dinosaur fossils and I wanted to learn from all of you. Specially to identify a real fossil from a fake one, if that is possible. I have found an interesting fossil that I would like to purchase if it is authentic, but I have several doubts. The fossil is an Iguanodon Jaw (see pictures attached) discovered in Isle of Wight, UK. The dealer says that this bone belonged to an iguanodon that would have lived approximately 120 million years ago. They also told me that the jaw has been restored from two fragments that had broken naturally; both these pieces are associated and from the same animal. What do you think. Any clue would be appreciate. 

Thank you so much!!

Jaw 1.jpg

Jaw 2.jpg

Jaw 3.jpg

Jaw 5.jpg

Jaw 4.jpg

Looks real to me, however like you mentioned there is a repaired crack in it. It looks like it goes together though so it is not a composite. Also restoration is when you add clay/paint/something to fix it up or make it larger, restoration can be helpful in little amounts but if it is 70% restored its basically not even real. People who fake items want to create large rare things so they can make the most money so I would say your safe, the only thing is that it broke and then they glued it back. Hope this helps

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thank you so much for your answer! It seems that it broke and then they glued it back. In that case, that is not a problem for me, but I just dont want to buy another dinosaur (or not dinosaur) instead of an iguanadon. I dont know if this looks like an iguanodon jaw...Thank you!!

I found this topic from 5 years ago, and it shows an iguanodon jaw section, also from the Isle of Wight, that looks similar to the one you are curious about.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

The far left section of this jaw also looks like yours

Lower jaw of Iguanodon dinosaur #9592403 Framed Prints, Wall Art

Thank you, both examples really are similar to mine. That is very valuable information! 

1 hour ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

I looked at this before

i never saw that thread, not it is making me question it. Not sure now.

thank you guys for all the insights. I have visited a lot of fossils websites and i dont know if i can answer this but is there any website that worths it?

1 minute ago, Sergio Barbeira said:

thank you guys for all the insights. I have visited a lot of fossils websites and i dont know if i can answer this but is there any website that worths it?

@Sergio Barbeira The Fossil Forum does not allow valuations.  Members can send you a Private Message about other sites.  We ask that they are not publicly listed here.  Thanks.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

thanks, I supposed that it would be that way. Sorry, Im new in this forum. already learning the rules ;)

• I found this Informative 1