Order out of Chaos

Kane

Seven hours later, and phase one of the "Great Reorganization" of the fossil collection is complete. 

It was getting a little out of control, what with stacks of fossil flats in the living room, piled dangerously high in the basement, and wherever I could stick them under tables. It was beyond time to restore order.

Now, I'm not always the most diligent in emptying out my trick buckets promptly, nor spending the time to organize finds. I'm more the type to set aside the "to-prep" stuff, and just put everything into boxes where they will fit, and then forget they ever existed until I need to find a particular piece. Everything gets mixed up, which is a recipe for forgetting and destroying the contextual value of the scientific information.

This was wave one. Not shown in the frame are the other stacks of flats that would emerge as I relayed them to the basement. 

C3916FAA-2672-40D5-BFE1-0F50BB05B6B3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

There were a lot of fossils that I picked up over the years that were just plain junk. I did pick through every fossil I owned and put them in their right spots. Of course, there are plenty of fossils on display throughout the house, but the focus here was on the stuff sitting in the flats.

A new purchase was this sturdy wire-frame shelving unit with a capacity of 2,000 lbs. I was able to store 32 flats, all of them properly labeled by location and formation. I also threw out the equivalent of 32 flats of junk and off-cuts. 

What goes into the storage are the specimens that are not display-worthy, but may have value for scientific reasons (or for trades, gifts, etc.). 

Phase 2 (tomorrow) is a deep clean of the entire prep lab, and reorganization of the prep equipment. Also, to keep some dust off the nearby gym equipment, we're putting up a plastic curtain to be secured by tuck-tape to form an enclosure. 

AC89EE02-E20C-462A-A945-1B4F30C4667B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

28 minutes ago, Kane said:

32 flats

Labatt, Budweiser, Old Milwaukee, etc. You are having fun with your fossils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very similar to the mess in my fossil room and most of my living room. 

I'm about to get some of those wire racks myself, should prove very useful. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

22 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Kane..... if it wasn't for Covid you need to come get me organized!!!!

I think that pool table of yours is classic just as it is!  Unless, or course, you ever want to play pool.

Don

Suddenly I dont feel so bad about my collection.....:P

All kidding aside, I used to keep mine in those multi drawer sets one buys for screws and such. Then I found a metal multi drawer cabinet from an old post office (from the 60's.) Now I can have the drawers organised by phylum (Porifera, Cnidaria, etc.)

Im in the process of relabeling and cataloging my collection to put in those drawers. Its taking me a long time. :oO:

:P 

It takes a lot of beer to gain enough flats to store fossils. Of course, I'm only buying the beer for the flats, right? :D 

Yes, I did promise Deb that I would one day tackle the chaos as she doesn't quite like clutter. I fall into the very occasional mood where I need to tidy up in a big tornado of cleaning frenzy. 

Today marks phase 2: deep clean and reorganization of the prep lab to be in readiness for some new prep projects coming in the mail, and my own backlog. And I mean everything, including inside the blast box and every single surface, tool, etc. 

IMG_8884.jpeg

The trolley now contains the various tools (glues, milliput, compressor attachments, rasps, awls, different kinds of tape, sheets of variable grade sandpapers, acetone, potassium hydroxide flakes, containers and baggies, and four flats of "work in progress" prep queue. Bottom of the bench has all the blast media (dolomite, baking soda, aluminum oxide) as well as overflow tools (brushes of different grades). Top of the blast box is ready to hand stuff like abrader tips, exacto blades, marking pens, additional lights and magnifiers, a vice and a clamp for glue-together prep jobs, and thick rubber gloves. The rollout tray on the bench includes all the scalpels and dental picks, sewing needles, pin vises, and other hand prep tools. 

IMG_8885.jpeg

From the trolley's perspective, I have the Vaniman and Paasche at the ready, as well as a bit of MacGuyvering a tool belt hook to hold my five scribes (the tips rest on an old work glove). Not as elegant and spiffy a setup as Malcolm's, but it should work out for now. It's a tight space for a guy like me. 

Phase 3 will be tomorrow, and will involve tuck-taping a plastic enclosure to keep the dust at a minimum from the rest of the basement. 

• I found this Informative 3

15 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think I may see where the dust is getting out!

Don

Oh, you mean the hand holes? I always run the shop vac (connected to the box) any time I do abrasion. Of course, taking my hands out is liable to bring some dust along!

On 2021-01-24 at 8:16 PM, Kane said:

AC89EE02-E20C-462A-A945-1B4F30C4667B.jpeg

You need to go one step beyond; buy some mineral flat boxes. They do a great job of protecting what is inside.

4936F457-E2F1-4B84-86EA-12935B14261C.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Wow. Spring cleaning came early this year! Hopefully spring fossil hunting season will too! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I am the same as Kane. I use beer flats (and every available surface in the basement). The beer flats actually come in slightly different sizes depending on the brand so you can close them up with a top and bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

So now we know what you guys drink while prepping :)

Surprisingly, no! 

If one is picking up a few six packs at the LCBO (only the very big LCBOs carry 12, 24, and 36 packs), they used to have a small area where they kept all the flats that customers could use to carry out. I think none of the flats on the shelf were used for what was printed on them, but for other brands. :D 

If you ask at the beer store they will generally give you a half dozen flats if you ask them.

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Surprisingly, no! 

If one is picking up a few six packs at the LCBO (only the very big LCBOs carry 12, 24, and 36 packs), they used to have a small area where they kept all the flats that customers could use to carry out. I think none of the flats on the shelf were used for what was printed on them, but for other brands. :D 

2 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

If you ask at the beer store they will generally give you a half dozen flats if you ask them.

Ok. So there's no need to contact AA at this point :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Finishing touches on the prep area. A plastic sheet enclosure to cut down on dust spread. It has one slit for access, and I might get some magnets to close it. Not elegant, but functional.

1C37B897-9F5D-4685-ABCD-91D481F62E08.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Make sure you are wearing an N95 mask when you are abrading in there especially if the shop vac is inside the containment area..... You can always remember my suggestion to use a hose to vent the shop vac out that window or door leading to the back patio