Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

This is a mammal tooth from the upper Cretaceous Hell Creek Formation of Carter County, Montana. 

PXL_20221103_075200393.MP.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 3

Sorry, I couldn't see your post until mine had posted, but unfortunately I have nothing else from the Palaeocene to which I can change it to. 

13 minutes ago, Kasia said:

Mariella bergeri heteromorph ammonite, Cretaceous, Hungary

obraz.png.28653432cf2ee459906333affcb3b6a5.png

Edited by Pleuromya

How many here have pondered acquiring material from various periods/epochs just to use in this thread? :)

• Enjoyed 1

Context is critical.

19 minutes ago, Missourian said:

How many here have pondered acquiring material from various periods/epochs just to use in this thread? :)

I've been considering getting some more Palaeocene material as I only have a few Palaeocene fossils. :)

Edited by Pleuromya

1 hour ago, Kasia said:

Mariella bergeri heteromorph ammonite, Cretaceous, Hungary

obraz.png.28653432cf2ee459906333affcb3b6a5.png

nice, Turrilites hurgadianus (d´Orb), I think its Penzesgyör? Very nice

gastropods and a coral

Paleocene

Lodo Formation

Fresno County, California

largest shell is 3/4 of an inch/19mm) wide

lodo_fm.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

These vertebrae are from Palaeophis maghrebianus, from the Eocene of Morocco. Palaeophis was a large marine snake, and the largest species, P. colossaeus has been estimated to be between 8 - 12m long. 

PXL_20221103_075318318.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 4

The shark genus Carcharhinus, which includes numerous modern species such as the bull, whitetip, and dusky sharks, dates back to the Middle Eocene at least.  Here's a tooth that seems referable to the genus - an unusual form for the age.

Carcharhinus sp.
Late Oligocene
Chandler Bridge Formation
Summerville, Dorchester County, South Carolina
about 11mm along the slant

cb_myst_tooth1a.jpg

cb_myst1b.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 4

Here's an unusual fossil from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed.  It's a sea turtle femur (thigh bone).  It's a bit worn but essentially complete and rare.  It's most likely from an extinct relative of the modern leatherback turtle as specimens of the hard-shelled sea turtle also known from there are more uncommon.

The most common sea turtle specimens found in the STH Bonebed are the little bony osteoderms that are embedded in the leather-like shell.  I've seen a couple of incredibly rare finds of the osteoderms still in place in matrix.  It's an example of a dead turtle that was rapidly buried before currents and scavengers scattered the remains.

Dermochelys?

Middle Miocene

Round Mountain Silt

Bakersfield, Kern County, California

7 11/16 inches (20cm) long

sth_turt1a.jpg

sth_turt1b.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 3

Ecphora quadricostata

Late Pliocene

Yorktown Formation, Rushmore Member

Virginia

4F326F05-2224-4F10-88AD-1055CFD8B666.thumb.jpeg.b1c2ded52281c87e51333a1820065c89.jpeg

7A2E516C-48B8-42B2-8061-663C4BCCD166.thumb.jpeg.eca9d76d7d93e3f647753e336f8162a2.jpeg

63B31F53-BAB9-4C4C-8C0B-F33C8C6756D5.thumb.jpeg.929f4b1706c0f1d30f7f2ffa8d456e1b.jpeg

2C6658CF-EE63-49EB-95C9-1825EED70369.thumb.jpeg.68764aeefbef71dd9aa53833e7a94b63.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Just now, Notidanodon said:

I always get here when it’s about to go to the Cambrian again lol

Yeah, that has been happening to me too so I got in an Oligocene and Miocene specimen when I had the chance.  I was working on a Pliocene post when that nice Ecphora popped up.  Oh well, I'll try to catch it on the flip-side.

• Enjoyed 2

Just now, siteseer said:

Yeah, that has been happening to me too so I got in an Oligocene and Miocene specimen when I had the chance.  I was working on a Pliocene post when that nice Ecphora popped up.  Oh well, I'll try to catch it on the flip-side.

Yup haha I have had cretaceous and Jurassic ready to go for like a week now lol:) 

• Enjoyed 1

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

16 minutes ago, Notidanodon said:

Yup haha I have had cretaceous and Jurassic ready to go for like a week now lol:) 

Yeah, it's especially tough to squeeze into the Jurassic and Cretaceous.  I've had a Jurassic piece ready for several weeks now.

These are pieces of plants that got caught in the coat of a mammoth. From Russia and approximately 30,000 years old. 

PXL_20221103_195013113.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 5

2 hours ago, Missourian said:

Not exactly to show them in this thread, but I did acquire 4 pieces, for 4 periods that I had nothing. (This thread helped me to realize that I did not have all the periods covered). :)

• Enjoyed 2

3 hours ago, Pleuromya said:

These are pieces of plants that got caught in the coat of a mammoth. From Russia and approximately 30,000 years old. 

PXL_20221103_195013113.jpg

That's really cool! Are these fossilized/mineralized, or do they consist of the original organic matter? If the latter, do they have to be protected from oxygen and moisture?

• Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, Gramps said:

That's really cool! Are these fossilized/mineralized, or do they consist of the original organic matter? If the latter, do they have to be protected from oxygen and moisture?

It seems to be the original material, so I haven't removed them from their protective case, just to be safe. I'm not sure if they need to be protected from these, but I think it's best if I try to limit both. :)

We are already into round 10 and it is now impossible to outpace:

@Pleuromya with 41 points! Congrats!! You have won this contest!!

Even @Kasia with 29  points will be unable to outpace him, because only every second entry is counted and only about 10 entries are missing to complete the last round. Kasia, congrats for taking the challenge! Hope, you have enough specimens left to win the next contest to get some fossils from Wren´s Nest and some Rhaetian bone bed from @Pleuromya;).

Thanks also to all other contributors! Nice to see such a great variation of fossils. You never know what will come next.

@Pleuromya, you can start the new contest at any time you want. It seem to be a good moment now, because the next entry should be Precambrian!

Well, time to smuggle in again a few ugly Kainach Gosau fossils into this thread - and to send some to @Pleuromya :).

Important: This thread is going on as usual - dig out your specimens, take a pic (best with scale), type a few words about it, if you like, and post it here.

Thank you for your contribution!

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Enjoyed 3

37 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

We are already into round 10 and it is now impossible to outpace:

@Pleuromya with 41 points! Congrats!! You have won this contest!!

Even @Kasia with 29  points will be unable to outpace him, because only every second entry is counted and only about 10 entries are missing to complete the last round. Kasia, congrats for taking the challenge! Hope, you have enough specimens left to win the next contest to get some fossils from Wren´s Nest and some Rhaetian bone bed from @Pleuromya;).

Thanks also to all other contributors! Nice to see such a great variation of fossils. You never know what will come next.

@Pleuromya, you can start the new contest at any time you want. It seem to be a good moment now, because the next entry should be Precambrian!

Well, time to smuggle in again a few ugly Kainach Gosau fossils into this thread - and to send some to @Pleuromya :).

Important: This thread is going on as usual - dig out your specimens, take a pic (best with scale), type a few words about it, if you like, and post it here.

Thank you for your contribution!

Franz Bernhard

Thank you so much! :)

Kasia, your collection is really impressive! 

I will start the contest now, and the rules will be the same, for 10 rounds again. 

I will upload some pictures later of the Wren's Nest and Rhaetian fossils. :)

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

On 11/2/2022 at 11:48 PM, FranzBernhard said:

You already know my prizes ;).

I do, and I don't think it matters that you said they were nothing great... free fossils is still free fossils!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Here is another green 'Mary Ellen' stromatolite slab from Minnesota that I don't think I've shown here... same info as the others 2.2byo, Paleoproterozoic). Bigger than my previous one, at 18cm long.

ME slab -green (scan).jpg

Edited by Wrangellian
  • Enjoyed 6