Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Carcharias cuspidatus

Oligocene

Chiliktinean Formation

Perovsky Bay, Kazakhstan

1 7/16 inches (37mm) long

This shark species has been traditionally assigned to the genus Carcharias but one researcher reassigned it to the genus, Araloselachus (see Cappetta, 2012).  It appears some people have accept that while others think the subject requires further study.  In a nutshell, Cappetta pointed out some distinctive tooth characters in cuspidatus that justify it being reassigned to a different genus, one being its smooth crown as opposed to the varying degrees of striated crowns among other species.  He still considered an odontaspidid.

Anyway, this specimen as collected by a friend of a friend who kindly sent me a sample from the locality little-known at the time. 

Cappetta, H. 2012.

Chondrichthyes (Mesozoic and Cenozoic Elasmobranchii: Teeth).  Handbook of Paleoichthyology, Volume 3E. ed. H.P. Schultze.  Münich: F. Pfeil.

aralselach_kz.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 5

whale teeth

Middle Miocene 

Round Mountain Silt

Sharktooth Hill Bonebed

Bakersfield, Kern County, California

tooth on the left is 1 9/16 inches (39mm) long; tooth on the right is 1 3/4 inches (45mm) long

Here are two different whale tooth types found in the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed.  They have not been identified to a particular group because they have not been found connected to a skull of a known whale from there.  The problem with whale teeth is that they tend to fall out of the jaws not long after death and are easily scattered by currents after that.

The tooth on the left has a nice complete crown with well-preserved enamel.  The tooth on the right is an odd one in that it never had enamel,  It might be from one of the sperm whales which were more diverse then than they are today.

sth_whale3a.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

A Pliocene a tooth from the Greenland Shark. Somniosus microcephalus from the Antwerp Sands Belgium. 

ACCA446F-59C1-4CEC-9253-E2363284D95F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 5

Dendraster diegoensis
Pleistocene
Bay Point Formation
Crown Point, San Diego, San Diego County, California
2 3/4 inches (about 70mm) wide

This specimen comes from a locality where the sand dollars are quite brittle and usually found broken.  A complete one is considered a prize by local collectors.

dendra_diego.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

From the early Cambrian of Yunnan - China.
Naraoia spinosa. 0.8 centimeters. (It is well preserved, but it needs a bit of cleaning).:rolleyes:IMG_20221106_134601668.thumb.jpg.48997e7158c9f21070221ed516521185.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Two species of Neospirifer (N. dunbari and N. triplicatus, I believe)
Middle Creek Limestone, Kasimovian/Missourian, Pennsylvanian, Carboniferous
Kansas City, Missouri, USA

post-6808-0-10555300-1336433230.thumb.jpg.e5a9720566dca5ff4e7b3064929b02da.jpg

post-6808-0-15928200-1336433232.thumb.jpg.3f63dd975a3aae28b8be98baf6a1c976.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Context is critical.

Large leaf (cf. Mexiglossa sp.) from the Ladinian (Middle Triassic) of the Erfurt Formation in Unterfranken, Bavaria, Germany.

TKTW0590.thumb.JPG.36b09a590c8ab69acf61e4b6116e333f.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Canadoceras yokoyamai

Haslam Formation, Nanaimo, B.C., Canada

Upper Santonian, Upper Cretaceous

As a pachydiscid, these Canadoceras can get pretty large (there's an apparent impression of one that's over 1m diameter at a spot nearby), but this one stands out as being particularly massive for this site, especially considering that this is only the phragmocone!

PXL_20220810_023927564.thumb.jpg.8a01f4d3a9035a51e5951c6b93453c56.jpg

PXL_20220821_000407596.thumb.jpg.a42e992bef7cdebfbea6794970c8890b.jpg

1356755727_PXL_20220821_0635376842.thumb.jpg.3d111e01288f500a6beb1f5b06adf809.jpg

Edited by Norki
  • Enjoyed 5

OMG!! The whole Mesozoic was covered within 12 minutes, including a double Jurassic entry :dinothumb:!

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 3

48 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

OMG!! The whole Mesozoic was covered within 12 minutes, including a double Jurassic entry :dinothumb:!

Franz Bernhard

Yeah it was super fast this time around! At this rate I wonder if the rules should be amended to allow for multiple entries per period, as long as they're chronological by stage (though it seems like that's been the case for much of the thread anyway)...

Edited by Norki
  • Enjoyed 1

6 minutes ago, Norki said:

Yeah it was super fast this time around! At this rate I wonder if the rules should be amended to allow for multiple entries per period, as long as they're chronological by stage... (Though it seems like that's been the case for much of the thread anyway).

As a power, it can be done, as you say, respecting the chronological order in the periods. But to get the lot of fossils he gives away @Pleuromya You only add one point.

• Enjoyed 1

35 minutes ago, Norki said:

Yeah it was super fast this time around! At this rate I wonder if the rules should be amended to allow for multiple entries per period, as long as they're chronological by stage (though it seems like that's been the case for much of the thread anyway)...

I was thinking about that, as long as the entry sticks to the rules it gets a point. :)

• I Agree 1