Fossilized finger/toe

Emilym920

• New Members

I believe i have found a fossilized toe/finger, you can see in the cross section of what looks to be exactly what you'd expect if you cut a finger off..

You can see the meat of the finger with the bone in the center but you can also see the density/thickness of the bone as well as the bone marrow..

We found it in the Willamette River years ago and thought it was quartz or something until a friend pointed out the resemblance of a finger..

What do you guys think? 

20220615_221926.jpg

20220615_221934.jpg

20220615_221859.jpg

20220615_221959.jpg

Your first guess was correct.  It is just a piece of quartz based rock... probably chalcedony or agate.  ;)

• I Agree 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Agree with the diagnosis. We often find rocks that resemble things that they are not. We've even devoted a topic to showcasing our favorite pseudofossils:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/90731-pseudofossils-pareidolia-and-other-rorschachery/

I do love that this piece of quartz has what would appear to be a nailbed at the tip--a clear case that Mother Nature has a sense of humor. ;) Soft tissue does not preserve like this but I do have to say this is a really great looking "faker" that I would have picked up and added to my collection. Fossil? No. Very cool looking rock worth keeping and showing to friends? Most certainly!

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1