Andre Pterosaur

Look guys I am not a Paléontologue I just say what Paléontologues told me , just tell me what do you think about theses rare opalised Gastropods.

Now the opalised fossils, Gastropods , shell, worms tubes, barnacle etc in that sandstone is just incredible.

on the second pictures you can see the green pine fire on the opalised Gastropod coil .

talking about soft organ mummified I know a man died at the table on his sailing boat , he has been mummified by the salt of the sea, 

the same as the people of Pompéi they were mummified by hot ashes.

we learn every day of new facts 

Theses opalised bones were hollow and the replacement by silicate is just incredible.

If the "mummified snail" was that extraordinary, it is odd that the paleontologist did not offer for you to donate it for study. Until it is published in a peer-reviewed science journal, it remains wishful thinking or unsubstantiated opinion. 

So, in terms of your specimens, what precisely do you want us to say about them? Have we not been commenting on them already? 

• I Agree 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

People’s working for museum are very strange I had 3 bad experiences.

i try to give my opalised bones , my collection of opalised Gastropods etc . Under the government cultural gift programs, 

they told me it’s to much paper works . !

so I gave them a split opalised wood , at one end it’s completely opalised and at the other end it’s petrified. So a rare specimen.

my collection of opal will turn into jewellery and the rest will go to my family.

On 10/16/2023 at 3:35 PM, Auspex said:

This sounds very fanciful. I know of no circumstances that could cause something like this.

Kear (2006) states; "The opal at Andamooka and Coober Pedy commonly occurs along cracks, faults or within cavities left by fossil remains. It may also on occasion directly replace fossilized organic remnants (probably secondarily), as evidenced by the frequent preservation of internal and soft tissue structures."

Here is the paper: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1111/j.1475-4983.2006.00569.x

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Isotelus2883 said:

Kear (2006) states; "The opal at Andamooka and Coober Pedy commonly occurs along cracks, faults or within cavities left by fossil remains. It may also on occasion directly replace fossilized organic remnants (probably secondarily), as evidenced by the frequent preservation of internal and soft tissue structures."

Here is the paper: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1111/j.1475-4983.2006.00569.x

I am specifically questioning this statement: "...an event appended, that snail got mummified instantly with the heat, and salt , it didn’t had time to retreat into the shell..."

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I once read about a similar specimen but I cannot find it. I think it is possible that a snail got trapped in a pocket of high salinity water and dried out.

Lightning Ridge NSW Australia

Sommes miner’s are lucky if they find opalised Yabbies buttons a few pictures of them, the precious opal blue green is in display at the Opal center museum.

Lighting Ridge .

3B77A442-456D-4D6D-9737-6305137AD3EB.jpeg

62164859-16EE-471E-9B73-91A1B96556B2.jpeg

27 minutes ago, jpc said:

I knw yabbie is a very Australian word, but what is a yabbie and what is its button?  

Yabbies are Cherax destructor, an Australian crustacean of the family Parastacidae, which are freshwater crayfish found only in the Southern Hemisphere.

Not to be confused with gilbies ( Cherax quinquecarinatus).

Yabbie buttons are their gastroliths.

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I bought a cylindrical volcanic rock.
it had a red pine fire that got my attention, so I cleaned it.

it must be one of the rarest black opal you can find .

it’s from Jundah Queensland Australia 

467D8DD9-0003-4004-AEFF-8C04C90E6E50.thumb.jpeg.64c81beb1d647d406cb7e0695ea02d0a.jpeg

E0B3E9B1-745C-42DF-A270-3FAE683023BB.jpeg

That horn coral not sure if it’s from Cretaceous but it’s beautiful, it could be a tooth otherwise !

but it doesn’t has the structures of a tooth 

Horn coral is sometimes incorrectly used to describe some solitary cone or horn-shaped scleractinian corals.

Though I am not saying that your specimen is one.

Edited by Tidgy's Dad

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Opal is a mineral, it does not necessarily attach to fossils. All that is opal is not fossil.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Of course it’s opal 

but inside the opal the preserved remains is from the skull of the pterosaur or the jaw , because it was attached to the tooth .

i had to remove it from the boulder rock as it was in the way to remove more sandstone to clear the fibula .

It could have been one of the front tooth and a part of the bone of the jaws,

my theory is the pterosaur try to free it self , by biting an animal and got its jaws crashed by the plesiosaur or crocodile and died instantly and then got buried quickly at the right place where rich silica gels occurred so after millions of years the bones and teeth cavity were replaced by the silicate preserving the last remains in decaying stages.

7AAF6F1D-D54E-4B1D-B255-651F78949E82.jpeg

5DBA7AF9-49CB-4A69-81A0-A54AD2A4CDE3.jpeg