The short life of my collecting boots

connorp

Curious if anyone else has this problem. I usually buy hiking boots to wear when collecting. A lot of my collecting is on roadcuts, so I spend many hours sideways on rocky slopes. The pressure of my feet pushing sideways on the boots, plus the wear to the outer edges from brushing against rocks, leads most of my boots to start splitting on the edges after less than 6 months. This is getting to be quite expensive.... Does anyone else have this problem? Is there are different kind of boot I should be wearing? Or is this just on par with others' experiences?

I try to get the thickest, sturdiest work boot money can buy, but the wear on the outer edge is going to happen. For me this is compounded by sitting cross legged on piles for a long splitting session. One (ugly) workaround is duct or wide electrical tape on the outer edge of the boot.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You get what you pay for.  :shrug:

My Columbia boots have lasted like new, for over 7 years.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

You get what you pay for.  :shrug:

My Columbia boots have lasted like new, for over 7 years.

Well that's the thing... I'm buying nice boots! Which is why this is frustrating. $200 a pop every 6 months is not easy on the wallet.

• I Agree 1

1 minute ago, connorp said:

Well that's the thing... I'm buying nice boots! Which is why this is frustrating. $200 a pop every 6 months is not easy on the wallet.

Maybe time to go the other way, then, and if it it going to happen anyway, get cheaper boots, and buy a few pairs at a time.  Switch up using them, and maybe they will last longer?  :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Best I've done is 3 years, but I'm notoriously hard on footwear, and I opt for the most rugged top of the line. Finding amazing fossils makes it a justifiable expense. :D

• I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Maybe time to go the other way, then, and if it it going to happen anyway, get cheaper boots, and buy a few pairs at a time.  Switch up using them, and maybe they will last longer?  :headscratch:

For quickie trips and forest trails, I use a hiking shoe. To your point, the one that lasted the longest were a pair of cheapies from Costco 

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

This might be the way. Nice solid pair of workboots for quarries/long trips, cheap hiking boots for quick trips.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Last pair for Euro 120 lasted 5 years, these are about 150 day trips in various terrain.

Was shocked how the prices have rocketed since then. Nothing useful below Euro 200 in 2022, can go up to Euro 500 (ahem...).

Most looked also fancy, but found some that really looked good to me, turned out to be the mountain boots of the German army! Got the last pair from a specific dealer for Euro 120 (instead of 200), luckily of my size! That was a bargain! And they are really, really good. Little bit sturdy at the beginning, but very good now. Never got a blister. Have done about 25 trips with them, no signs of wear and still completely waterproof. I use them on every trip. Or very rarely the opposite end: Sandals for creeks...:heartylaugh:

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

I've had reasonable luck with Danner's Marine Expeditionary Boot 8" GTX Mojave (M.E.B.). The only problem I have with these is the toe wearing thin from crawling on my hands and knees (and apparently dragging my toe as I crawl). For my next pair, I think I will try the steel-toed version of the boot so I can attempt to patch the inevitable hole in the leather toe with epoxy.

7 minutes ago, Gramps said:

I will try the steel-toed version of the boot so I can attempt to patch the inevitable hole in the leather toe with epoxy.

In my active collecting days, I would get a low-priced steel-toed hiking boot from Walmart, a can on silicon spray for waterproofing, and a tube of "shoe glue" all from the same department.  When the boot's sole started to separate, I would extend its life with the shoe glue (which is also waterproof).  This approach seemed to give my boots several years of life.  Often the shoe glue (which I would also use to coat the outer edges of the thick soles as well) seemed to protect the shoe and make it more rugged and stable than it was originally.  All of this was reasonably low-cost.  Not sure what the current prices are, but they have to be less than shown above, I'd think at least half the cost or better.

In my opinion, invest in a shoe that has a replaceable sole program. I've noticed this alot with companies that use vibram soles. For example, I wear bedrock sandals which you can send in anytime and replace the sole for like $50. Not sure how many boot companies have this option but you can check the companies that use vibram on the vibram website if thats an option you are interested in.  Assuming you are seeing splits where they meet.

Edited by FB003

*Frank*

9 minutes ago, FB003 said:

In my opinion, invest in a shoe that has a replaceable sole program. I've noticed this alot with companies that use vibram soles. For example, I wear bedrock sandals which you can send in anytime and replace the sole for like $50. Not sure how many boot companies have this option but you can check the companies that use vibram on the vibram website if thats an option you are interested in.  Assuming you are seeing splits where they meet.

Interesting - that definitely sounds like what I need. I will look around, thanks.

• Enjoyed 1

42 minutes ago, connorp said:

Interesting - that definitely sounds like what I need. I will look around, thanks.

It looks like Danner that @Gramps mentioned is one of those that does full repair.

*Frank*

1 hour ago, FB003 said:

It looks like Danner that @Gramps mentioned is one of those that does full repair.

As a clarification, there are limits on the components Danner will repair. At the bottom of their website, a "Recrafting" link provides information on what they can and cannot fix.

Best wishes.

• Enjoyed 1

Everyone here wearing proper safety coverings for their feet. Meanwhile I've been using the same white Converse shoes for the better part of two years with no issues. I think its the canvas coverings, those things appear to be nigh indestructible.

• 1 month later...

I bought a pair of rubber boots for foresters from Engelbert Strauss in Germany almost 30 years ago. These are safety shoes with steel caps for the toes and heel. Cost a little under 40 euros. Until now without problems.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).