Carboniferous Period Tracks And Fern Fossils

Rockin' Ric

Hello y'all! I got an opportunity to visit a trackway site locally. It was a hot steamy day for the crazy in me. When I got to the site, it had overgrown considerably since the last visit. There were patches of exposure that could be seen... while walking around scanning those exposures I see this five foot boulder thinking it could be split into,  ... surprisingly it was easy peasy.

It contained Mariopteris Fern fossils and the find of the day, Attenosaurus tracks of a large tetrapod amphibian affectionately called "Frogzilla" that predates the dinosaurs! Another surprise was that I didn't destroy the fossil by whacking off excess stone... 99% of the time I wind up having to glue pieces back together! It split in half beautifully, providing the negative plate with both prints and separate positive prints of those tracks! My day was done... the tracks are my first find ever! It was a bucket list item for this site where I have found many tetrapod trackways in the past. Carboniferous Period, Pottsville Formation, Southeastern USA. 

Attenosaurus3.jpg

Attenosaur1.jpg

AttenosaurusC.jpg

Fern2.jpg

Fern1.jpg

• Enjoyed 18

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

33 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

@Rockin' Ric

Hey Ric, was there supposed to be some text with your post instead if a big empty space?

Excellent fossils!! :wub: :wub:

Don

Text was in a larger, white font.  I removed the formatting to make it visible.  ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hmmm.  Was that supposed to be some sort of a puzzle for us to solve?  If so it was over my head.  Thanks Tim for figuring it out.

Don