cool fossils of something - trying to figure out what

RodT

Hi everyone,

New here!  I recently found these a few weeks ago in the Badlands of Eastern Montana, in what I believe would be 'Hell Creek' formation. 

For clarities sake, my knowledge level is very low, and I'm not looking to sell anything.

I hope the photos aren't too confusing visually.  The posted photos are of 2 ea. fossils.  I found these at the bottom of a canyon while out on a hike.   They weren't poking out of deposit per se, but were rather tumbling down the drainage out of a hill side/feature.  There were quite a few more pieces laying around where I found these.  They are very heavy, hard, and have the feel and 'ring' of fired clay/ceramic.  Also, both of them are two-sided, interestingly, as if they are the remains of something that was sort of piled up - or maybe 2-sided indeed.  I did some googling and found nothing that resembles them.

I did actually join today to get some help in IDing these form all you folks, but this is a VERY cool forum and, I think I will enjoy spending a bit of time here.
Thanks a lot for any knowlege that is offered up.  Your help is much appreciated!

Rod

1351194382_MT2.jpg

459771620_MT1.jpg

1499698475_MT3.jpg

1632348371_MT4.jpg

1915524181_MT5.jpg

1854663202_MT6.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

They are very cool looking but they appear to be textbook texture for septarian concretions (or impressions of a septarian concretion). These concretions fracture into an interesting geometric pattern that often infill with nice silica material which makes slices of these concretions quite beautiful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concretion#Septarian_concretions

https://www.google.com/search?q=septarian+concretion&tbm=isch

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

I found these while on my own romp in the HCF earlier this Summer; they're ironstone nodules.

image.png.61f0fdebfcedcc67a26351002f35ae6b.png

^  https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/ndnotes/concretions/

• I found this Informative 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Counter Septarian structures for me, too.

See this topic:

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fragments of a counterseptarian structure.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Counter Septarian structures for me, too.

See this topic:

One of the most memorable threads ever on The Forum. Take a look at it.

• I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Wow!  That didn't take long.  So Septarian Concretion it is then.  And yes, fascinating thread about the one found in Oregon.  I had no idea that geological phenomenon could create something that looks like this.  Did a little research and all makes perfect sense for the area and relative age that is known. 
Thanks everyone for responding.  Much appreciated.  
Rod