Another trip along the Calvert Cliffs

Bjohn170

I’m a little late to getting around to posting this but it’s been a hectic week so far at work. I kayaked back out along the Calvert Cliffs last weekend and the weather was absolutely beautiful, getting close to if not over 80 degrees for the last weekend of October. I got on the water early to watch the sun rise and then started hunting. The nice weather definitely brought some more hunters out, with other kayakers, boaters, and jet skiers coming to the beach soon after landing. As expected it was a little slow but I still managed a nice little megalodon measuring 1.46” and a nice hastalis measuring 1.43”. As I was slowly checking out the shell line on the way back I found two micro megs, and a few dolphin teeth to finish the day off. All in all a great trip, love finding teeth and kayaking along the cliffs on a calm morning is just peaceful. See y’all next time!

502DF935-D1FD-4E73-8551-DFF2B7043EBE.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

Great finds!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Sounds like a fun way to spend a day. :)

34 minutes ago, Fin Lover said:

Great finds!

Definitely, Thanks!

• Enjoyed 1

Cute posterior megs, or would that be meglets?

• Thank You 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

1 hour ago, hemipristis said:

Cute posterior megs, or would that be meglets?

They are adorable aren’t they? I only have one smaller. Crazy to think what they could have become!

12 hours ago, Bjohn170 said:

I’m a little late to getting around to posting this but it’s been a hectic week so far at work. I kayaked back out along the Calvert Cliffs last weekend and the weather was absolutely beautiful, getting close to if not over 80 degrees for the last weekend of October. I got on the water early to watch the sun rise and then started hunting. The nice weather definitely brought some more hunters out, with other kayakers, boaters, and jet skiers coming to the beach soon after landing. As expected it was a little slow but I still managed a nice little megalodon measuring 1.46” and a nice hastalis measuring 1.43”. As I was slowly checking out the shell line on the way back I found two micro megs, and a few dolphin teeth to finish the day off. All in all a great trip, love finding teeth and kayaking along the cliffs on a calm morning is just peaceful. See y’all next time!

502DF935-D1FD-4E73-8551-DFF2B7043EBE.jpeg

Beautiful finds! I want to finally break my kayak out for some hunting in the spring. How do I tell what areas of the cliffs are private versus not. 

3 hours ago, Elmo said:

Beautiful finds! I want to finally break my kayak out for some hunting in the spring. How do I tell what areas of the cliffs are private versus not. 

So in Maryland private property starts at the average high-tide line. What this means is almost all the beaches beneath the cliffs are public land, while access to these beaches from land cross through private property, access from the water doesn’t. As always the cliffs themselves are still considered private property but the beaches themselves are public. In Virginia it’s the opposite, private property starts at the average low-tide line meaning all beaches are private. PM me if you have other questions! 

• I found this Informative 1