Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2022!

Yoda

Ordered a few palaeontology books over the festive season 

This is the first to arrive

346231B8-2303-47D0-A5EA-A4225C292C3E.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Here's mine! I finally found a fossil brittle star that was affordable, beautifully prepared, and apparently real (as opposed to all the orange online fakes!). If it's not real; don't tell me! I'm so happy with it.

fossilbrittlestar.ed.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

2 hours ago, KathyGrant said:

Here's mine! I finally found a fossil brittle star that was affordable, beautifully prepared, and apparently real (as opposed to all the orange online fakes!). If it's not real; don't tell me! I'm so happy with it.

fossilbrittlestar.ed.jpg

Looks real to me, and very nice! Great acquisition!

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, KathyGrant said:

it's not real; don't tell me! I'm so happy with it.

I also think it a nice one too.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

My first mailbox score this year, yesterday the Three Wise Men from the East brought me this one.

Metacanthina issoumourensis, Devonico, Morocco.

005.thumb.JPG.a861a1c54e467d41b20f47bcdf43cbb7.JPG007.thumb.JPG.7ccb02583964e4e06fba743c0ea929d6.JPG008.thumb.JPG.5ef5099045f4985ae82767e5ae28edf7.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

On 12/19/2021 at 7:09 AM, Paleorunner said:

And this is my last mailbox score, which was won at auction.
A beautiful Mosasaur tooth .......:wub:

Mosasaur: Prognathodon sp. 68x37x37 mm
Upper Cretaceous (Maastrichtian). Ouled Abdoun. Morocco.

Big tooth! I love when they have some weight to them.

• I Agree 2

On 12/30/2021 at 8:47 AM, carch_23 said:

Im real excited to see more Christmas gift showoffs soon on here once we get more time after the holidays. This ones not the best condition, though it was quite a good price to not get it for myself for Christmas lol. 

C. Megalodon

Savannah, Georgia

5.25 inch longest side. 

C914E814-57AE-45DC-BCC0-BF23568D3AD0.jpeg

6C986480-219F-4E44-A408-E3D103B6CAD1.jpeg

Nice Meg!:drool::meg:

• Thank You 1

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

9 hours ago, Yoda said:

The next of my books has arrived:

721C729C-B86C-4236-A4D0-9C5C871FEE46.jpeg

That’s pretty interesting. I’m going to have to look that up and possibly add it to my list. Thanks for sharing!

• I Agree 1

This cute little dolphin mandible came in for me on Christmas Eve already, though I haven't had time since to post it here. I still wanted to share it with you all though, as I think it's a wonderful specimen!

509504230_Dolphin-mandible-Shark-Tooth-Hill-Bakersfield.jpg.7debcd289677d472d70fdd71b218ad64.jpg

Although I suppose you could consider this a Christmas gift to myself, it wasn't intended as such. In fact, I'm not really a mammal kind of guy. But I do love how this piece demonstrates convergent evolution with marine reptiles like ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs. Take the below section of polycotylid mandible from Asfla in Morocco, for example - the similarities, to me, are just astounding!

Comparison-dolphin-mandible-vs.-polycotylid-mandible-01.jpg.0b3dbf20affa849aad461d27dc78114c.jpgComparison-dolphin-mandible-vs.-polycotylid-mandible-02.jpg.c77215c2fec6f236323e5d45608911e0.jpgComparison-dolphin-mandible-vs.-polycotylid-mandible-03.jpg.ae1934fac122392ba5ce8ae5297dc83d.jpg

The dolphin jaw comes from the exposure of Shark Tooth Hill at Bakersfield, by the way, and as such is of Miocene age, dating to approximately 16-15.2 mya. And I suspect that one of the reasons why it's such an excellent piece is that it comes from the collection of Bob Ernst, of the Ernst-family that runs the only quarry where collecting from Shark Tooth Hill is allowed. And for those, who like me, are either not aware as to what Shark Tooth Hill is, or have only heard its name, this page here forms an interesting read that will not only explain the significance of the site and the quarry at Bakersfield, but also why this particular addition to my collection has a certain historic significance.

I'm not sure as to species, though, but doubt that such could be established from just a piece of mandibular symphysis.

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 5

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Morning.

I finally managed to get hold of this book on Henry de la Beche. The book was published in 1977 by The National Museum of Wales and is the only autobiographical work of de la Beche that I can find.

DD11DECC-BA33-40FF-A76B-2E6C4855CA5F.thumb.jpeg.cc4afc85833da696df557e64c61ddd75.jpeg

Henry de la Beche set up and was the first director of The Geological Survey of Great Britain, the precursor of The British Geological Survey. He was also the first president of The Palaeontographical Society.

He was also friends with Mary Anning and produced a number of cartoons/drawings such as Duria Antiquior and Awful Changes.

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 3

8 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

This cute little dolphin mandible came in for me on Christmas Eve already, though I haven't had time since to post it here. I still wanted to share it with you all though, as I think it's a wonderful specimen!

Branching out into marine mammals? I was going to say that it doesn't look like your usual marine reptile fossil, but.... it actually does. :heartylaugh: 

Beautiful piece. The comparison pictures are really interesting. 

• Enjoyed 1

I'm so excited! My fishies finally arrived! I ordered these two little guys on Boxing Day and they just came in. :wub: They are so incredibly beautiful. Both are from Poland, though I need to message the seller to see if they have a more precise location. Both are also from the Oligocene. 

First up is the Antigonia sp. A very tiny guy, measuring in at 18mm. He's absolutely gorgeous.

20220115_141957.thumb.jpg.ada71ce8b8005b1610286fa5e65ab843.jpg

Next up is the Argyropelecus cosmovicii. He's a bit bigger, measuring at 28mm. Check out that eye orbit! 

20220115_141818.thumb.jpg.932102c82af5d96a1a89d2b8ab86a0c6.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 7

4 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

First up is the Antigonia sp.

Very cool. At first reminded me of a deep sea hatchetfish but it looks like this fossil is from the boarfish family:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproidae

6 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Next up is the Argyropelecus cosmovicii.

And this one, not surprisingly, IS INDEED a deep sea hatchetfish:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyropelecus

Two really unusual fish fossils that I'd not heard of before. Great addition to your collection.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 6

8 minutes ago, digit said:

Very cool. At first reminded me of a deep sea hatchetfish but it looks like this fossil is from the boarfish family:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproidae

And this one, not surprisingly, IS INDEED a deep sea hatchetfish:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyropelecus

Two really unusual fish fossils that I'd not heard of before. Great addition to your collection.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you, they are quite fascinating. I had done some research before purchasing them to get an idea of how they looked in life. I wanted to branch out a bit and avoid more fish from typical locations (Green River, Crato formations, etc). I am very happy with these little guys. I hope to get more unusual ones in the future. 

Very very nice.  I went fishing yesterday but only caught extant blue fish and king fish. Enjoy these beautiful specimens.

Tom

• Enjoyed 1

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

57 minutes ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

Very very nice.  I went fishing yesterday but only caught extant blue fish and king fish. Enjoy these beautiful specimens.

Tom

I just looked up a king fish, now that would make an impressive fossil!

14 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I just looked up a king fish, now that would make an impressive fossil!

I think what you found on the internet was a King Mackerel.......a truly impressive fish. What I was referring to was a Gulf Kingfish. Much less impressive, but very tasty. Also called a Whiting down here in Florida.

Tom

KINGFISH.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

3 hours ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

I think what you found on the internet was a King Mackerel.......a truly impressive fish. What I was referring to was a Gulf Kingfish. Much less impressive, but very tasty. Also called a Whiting down here in Florida.

Tom

KINGFISH.jpg

Ha! Yeah, that is definitely not the fish that Google showed me. Still, I think this would make a nice fossil one day. As much as I love fish as fossils, I don’t eat them. I can’t stand the taste of fish, or most seafood. 

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Ha! Yeah, that is definitely not the fish that Google showed me. Still, I think this would make a nice fossil one day. As much as I love fish as fossils, I don’t eat them. I can’t stand the taste of fish, or most seafood. 

I love seafood,  just not the raw stuff. I definitely stay away from oysters and the like "on the halfshell" and all sushi. :Cry:

• Enjoyed 2

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

16 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

As much as I love fish as fossils, I don’t eat them. I can’t stand the taste of fish, or most seafood. 

Hahaha! Funny that! Someone else who's into marine/aquatic vertebrates but doesn't actually like fish or seafood. At least I'm not alone in that then! :BigSmile:

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 1/15/2022 at 9:29 PM, thelivingdead531 said:

Antigonia sp

Both these fish are stunning, wow. I was not really into fish fossils until I joined the forum ( I think Tim and of course Mike and his fish paintings are to be blamed ) . 

As we been tacking a pole (haha) I prefer sushi to cooked fish.

• Enjoyed 1

7 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Hahaha! Funny that! Someone else who's into marine/aquatic vertebrates but doesn't actually like fish or seafood. At least I'm not alone in that then! :BigSmile:

I never thought I’d find someone else who is in the same boat (pun intended) I am. :D I love sharks, octopuses, all sorts of marine creatures, but I’m scared of going in the ocean or on a boat. And I have a mild phobia of crustaceans, I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about them. 

5 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Both these fish are stunning, wow. I was not really into fish fossils until I joined the forum ( I think Tim and of course Mike and his fish paintings are to be blamed ) . 

As we been tacking a pole (haha) I prefer sushi to cooked fish.

I wasn’t particularly interested in fish at first either. Over time, the more I collected, the more I started to focus on them. They are now in my top 2 main interests. 
I’ve wanted to like sushi, but I just can’t do it.