Shellseeker

I was hunting yesterday and post a trip report:

https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/138017-peace-river-hunt/

I did not think I had anything that I either needed or could ask for an ID,  but then this bone "talked" to me. It seems that it is not a long bone, but mostly complete (96%) and about a size to be interesting.. 

That means there is a reasonable chance some TFF member will recognize. It could be a toe bone like a metapodial, tarsal, carpal, of a pretty large animal like Sloth or Rhino. At 1st I thought it might be a Calcaneum but a Jaguar Calcaneum which I found is much larger. I have also seen similarities to Sea Turtle or Dolphin humerus...

So it could be a lot of things.  I'll have a long time tracking each possibility down.  

It is from an mammal or reptile that lived and died near the Peace River.  I hope some members can eliminate some of the possibilities.

Top:

IMG_4348T2.thumb.jpg.11d3cd330a1c8e03fabbc6bf17d5bd4c.jpg

Bottom (opposite to top)

IMG_4340ceBotton.thumb.jpg.ce8c6cda6150cfe034421cb4fd30b8e2.jpg

Left side

IMG_4337side1.thumb.jpg.a07d50f5e5adddd2f23bb9920483977b.jpg

Right side

IMG_4342side2.thumb.jpg.bcc1fc3eb7802f382e69c0dd2e2f3ebd.jpg

Left end

IMG_4347End_left.thumb.jpg.0d5c124c3e12a5a66653c10644190300.jpg

Right end

IMG_4343_end_right.thumb.jpg.61664e32d8250c342fed0ed801faf409.jpg

Help greatly appreciated. As the topic implies... a curious short bone

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

After checking possibilities, I am thinking it may be a calcaneum...

Just working on size and shape of Calcaneum from Peace River fauna:

SidebySideCalcaneum.thumb.jpg.19b4d228240be91f384adc779a5002e5.jpg

Let me preface by, I do not think it is horse, either Equus or Tridactyl.  I do however think the best match might be Calcaneum.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I just want to say that is amazing stuff there in Florida and I’m also reminded why I focus on invertebrates.  I would have not imagined that bone as from a horse relative.  

2 hours ago, Baking Geologist said:

I just want to say that is amazing stuff there in Florida and I’m also reminded why I focus on invertebrates.  I would have not imagined that bone as from a horse relative.  

I agree. It is just amazing !!

Horse, Rhino, and Tapirs are all Perissodyctals.. I have looked at the species that occur in the Peace River and none is a good enough fit.

Now I am looking at Armadillos and Glyptodonts and I also note that human heel bones look very similar... but once again , no Eureka moment.... yet!!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

equus horse calcaneum

So, I looked at these same examples and noted that mine was missing almost all of the clear articulation surfaces and is only 67 mm in length... Do you have a size range on those in your collection ?

Not that I have been able to find anything else,  but that side by side with the Neohipparion at 85mm  does not seem conclusive. You are excellent at Florida bones and I go with your instincts.

Certainly, Jack, there is individual variation in equus horse bones.  Add to that the fact that your find is severely worn.  It also appears to be missing the epiphysis on the shaft.

• Thank You 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Jack, 

Thats exactly why i balked. No articulating surface to confirm. Plus I’m totally lacking confidence. 

Here are the Calcaneum I were measuring for my Equus project. I ended up using the middle sized Calcaneum because it articulated perfectly with Harry’s astragalus. My limb/s seems to be a perfect size compared to a smaller size horse or large pony. 

Not only would standard deviation apply to the size ranges of the species there would also be juveniles under age 2 who haven’t fused completely and are constantly changing size until that 18 month - 26month range. 

Jp

25D0B63F-DEAE-4F9E-AA1B-D88756D4FEE6.jpeg.434e2f75788c37ae0ff9a7519cf048c5.jpegAE5FC287-7B10-48E5-9FB2-FF09B0908922.jpeg.dc9ef87d39348a1628ef0ea0d4e864c0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1