What's the Story Behind Your Screen Name

sixgill pete

Alright everyone, let's hear the reason behind the screen name you chose. Surely there has to be some good ones. I will start with mine "sixgill pete"

So, those of you who know me, at least digitally if not personally know my name is Don, not "pete". My favorite teeth have always been cowshark teeth, especially the Hexanchus or sixgill cow shark. 

One day about 18 years ago I was at some piles of material from the Lee Creek mine (Aurora) on private property with my grandson Nick. Normally in the piles if you find a cowshark, it is Notorhynchus (sevengill). Well, that day I had found 2 sevengills already when I came across a decent sixgill tooth Hexanchus gigas. My first sixgill.  Root was not complete, but a decent tooth. I looked at my grandson and said I got one a sixgill tooth and his reply was "Papa for now on I'm going to call you sixgill pete when we are fossil hunting. So it kinda stuck. And, he still does at times today, at 24.

So what is your story?

• Enjoyed 15

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

It's a little simpler in my case. Ludwigia ist the name of one of my favorite ammonite genera and the photo in my avatar is of the best Ludwigia haugi I've ever found during my ramblings in my favorite hunting grounds in the Wutach Valley in southern Germany.

• Enjoyed 11

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I did not know your name was not pete.  Great tale. 

Mine is a tad less interesting...my initials.  I also use JPC (all caps) as the identifier for my localities and cataloged fossils.  I am up to 1359 localities... 40 years into this hobby/job.  My fossils are numbered by locality number such as JPC 1359-12.       

• Enjoyed 11

I use trilobites_are_awesome. Because they are my favorite species of extinct animal and I like to let people know this. :trilobite::wub:

• Enjoyed 9

Cheers!

James

I knew nothing about fossils when I joined, so I thought I would reference liking shark teeth as well as the name of my spoiled Bearded Dragon, Finley. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 9

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

What a good idea! I've been wanting to know some of these stories myself. I'm sure some people have wondered what my name means...

Patel is my last name, and -inho is a common suffix added on to Portuguese names especially in Brazil. It means "little", similar to how -ito is added onto Spanish names. Now, I am not Brazilian nor am I Spanish. But I am a big football (or soccer in this country) fan, and this naming convention is common for Brazilian footballers, like the famous player Ronaldinho. When I used to play on a team my teammates would add -inho to my last name and call me this to play into that naming convention. It was quite a compliment to me, so I used to create usernames for websites based on this.

I find it somewhat less relevant/applicable now, especially on sites like this that don't have much to do with football, but I suppose it's too late to change my name now. Also, I'm not sure what I'd change it to.

(edit: the 7 represents my favorite shirt number to play as)

Edited by patelinho7
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 6

Northern - because I'm in Canada (one of a very few at the time)

Sharks - When I joined I was strictly a shark tooth collector

Not too complicated

• Enjoyed 7

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

8 minutes ago, Fin Lover said:

I knew nothing about fossils when I joined, so I thought I would reference liking shark teeth as well as the name of my spoiled Bearded Dragon, Finley. 

My beardy is spoiled too! 😃

• Enjoyed 2

Cheers!

James

19 minutes ago, patelinho7 said:

What a good idea!

I agree...fun post @sixgill pete!

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Fossil:  well, duh!  Pretty much obvious

DAWG: I work at the University of Georgia, AKA the Georgia Bulldogs, often referred to as just "the Dawgs".  Also, I have three dogs in my household at the moment.  We have had more (sometimes many more) in the past, but three seems like a nice number for now.

Don

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 9

I use Fossildude19 because Fossildude1 was taken when I first got online, back over 28 years ago.  Used it as a yahoo name, and then carried over to TFF.

Pretty anticlimactic.  :shrug:

• Enjoyed 13

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fun thread, Don. Pagurus is the genus of several hermit crab species I've enjoyed finding and often keeping in my marine aquaria.  I took them with me on my  school visits and wrote and illustrated a rhyming, cartoonish, highly anthropomorphic book about one. When I joined the forum I saw many members were using favorite critters for their screen names and I figured I'd use a hermit crab. 

Edited by Pagurus
  • Enjoyed 10

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I looked at my driver's license and wrote down what it says.

• Enjoyed 15

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 minute ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I looked at my driver's license and wrote down what it says.

Glad it was the front side or we’d be calling you ilsos.gov or by your blood type. :D 

• Enjoyed 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I use Fossildude19 because Fossildude1 was taken when I first got online, back over 28 years ago.  Used it as a yahoo name, and then carried over to TFF.

Pretty anticlimactic.  :shrug:

I thought it was because you're only 19, at least in spirit!

• Enjoyed 5
  • Thank You 1

I used my profession as a user name--automotive mechanic. I've been at it for 30 years. I got into cars early on in life. Purchased a 1957 Chevrolet 2 door sedan for $800 at the age of 13. Then restored it through high school. The only things I didn't do was the paint or interior work. My dad suggested I get into this line of work seeing how I could problem solve and fix things on cars.

• Enjoyed 10

Mine's just a contraction of my name but "TQ" is what my daughter and her friends called me when she was at school and it stuck. It's cooler than the name my parents blessed me with but I answer to either now. :)

• Enjoyed 9

Tarquin

What a nice thread

Explanation of my name is easy. It is a nickname I have, my last name sounds like "Rocket" in german and some people called me Rocket. And, I love rockets, but prefer the ones  that allow you to fly into space, the others make me a little afraid 🙄

• Enjoyed 10

Cool thread.  :cool07:

Nothing special to mine. I’m a nerd… I like fossils… :shrug:🤓

Edited by FossilNerd
  • Enjoyed 10

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Mine is self explanatory, I am alone in this world.                                                                                 Lorraine🥀                                                      

• Enjoyed 5

I named myself for the first fossil I ever found. :D 

Me (7 or 8 years old): "Daddy! This rock has a SEASHELL in it!" (Highly excited; I didn't know rocks could do that!)

Dad: "Oh, that's a fossil! Let's look it up in the field guide!" 

One consultation with the Golden Nature Guide to Fossils later, we learned that I had a brachiopod. That was as far as we got (the GGs are good for an overview, but not extensive), but I remember what the rock looked like. It was very similar to this one, though probably not the same species:

BrachiopodMediospiriferaudaculus.thumb.JPG.9845e984a95c91f923d3b4cc685171c7.JPG

No, I don't still have that first fossil. It got misplaced and left behind many years ago.

• Enjoyed 8