What's the Story Behind Your Screen Name

sixgill pete

I like trilobites. I like alliteration. Top Trilobite is the first thing I thought of so I signed up with that but something was wrong with the email so never finished the sign up process. When I went to do it again it said Top Trilobite was taken and so Top Trilo was born.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 9

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Mine is predictable I think!

I love cheese, friends call me mr cheese.

I once had a fortnights holiday in Turkey and managed to eat cheese with every meal, three times a day for forteen days.

Bliss......

This is one of my finest achievements! 

I plan to have cheese on toast placed on my coffin when I am cremated at the other end of this ride. Hopefully it will make someone smile as my last act in this place!

As a Yorkshireman my favourite cheese is Wendsleydale.

Great idea for a thread by the way!

• Enjoyed 12

I need Balance because I’m a lot. :) 

One needs balance in the boat 
The boat is named balance because it’s the reward for honest work. 

I own/operate two business and if not reminded I can let my juggling act of work/family/work/self get unbalanced. 

Balanced is the farrier term for a perfectly shod hoof. 

basically I need to stay in balance because that’s the best thing for me. Honest, balanced living. 

Keep the faith and try to do good!

Jp

• Enjoyed 9

Opabinia regalis is among my favorite Cambrian weirdos. It’s a dinocaridid, and so probably a stem-arthropod but who knows. It’s an animal from earth’s angsty experimental days, a dead clade, and I love himb for it.

My original name was OpabiniaBoogaloo, because I was envisioning the boogaloo dance being done by Opabinia and thought it was silly. I got the idea when I saw someone refer to a biological radiation (can’t remember which one) as “The Cambrian Part Two: Electric Boogaloo.” Little ignorant me didn’t know that “Boogaloo” had very negative political connotations in some contexts, so being horrified to hear this I had the mods change my name 🫢

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 8

26B2365E-C2A3-4793-8E5B-68584EA0756E.png.746d948d15a718f5153ab32b60a87ff9.png 8FC20729-9038-47AC-82BA-A7FECC35384D.png.659f2af2a4de08ccc258f7609cf5efeb.png
“The worse the country, the more tortured it is by water and wind, the more broken and carved, the more it attracts fossil hunters, who depend on the planet to open itself to us. We can only scratch away at what natural forced have brought to the surface.”
- Jack Horner

I am a member of a few Forums with my various hobbies / interests / obsessions 

The first forum I joined many years ago, I was invited to choose a user name. New concept to me. 

I had watched one of the episodes of Star Wars the night before, and Yoda just popped into my head. 

Yoda became my Forum persona. 

The irony, is that I am more of a "Trekkie". 

• Enjoyed 10

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Great topic. I once read that the word fossil comes from the Latin fossilis, “obtained by digging” and my name is Will. I was pretty pleased with myself when I joined TFF and came up with the handle Fossilis Willis. Definitely an intellectual high water mark for me😆

• Enjoyed 9

Tarquin -- he rules over collections. Quite appropriate! :)

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

20 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

I am alone in this world.    

Not alone!!! Look at all your friends on this forum.

• I Agree 4

I grew up in North Canton, Ohio, about 3 miles from the Football Hall of Fame where EVERYONE  lives and breaths football. Upon graduating from high school and knowing I wanted to become a Veterinarian, I had just one choice,  to attend The Ohio State University. From the minute I stepped on campus, my passion for  football grew even more. Hence the "buckeye" aspect of my screen name. After graduation, life took me to Minnesota, where I practiced medicine  for about 40 years, working on cows, cats, dogs, donkeys and about every other creature alive. Hence the addition of Minn in front of buckeye. Even though I lived in this state for many many years, I still am a rabid fan of football, especially Ohio State football. As a way to educate Minnesotans on what a buckeye is, I planted buckeyes surrounded by blue spruce 20 some years ago Google Earth can now capture it clearly. So that is my story! GO OSU from a buckeye fan in Minnesota!!!!!!!

DSC_0317.thumb.JPG.eacbb3204327f6fc3439f19fd3e9cd7c.JPG

• Enjoyed 12

It seemed to me that we already had a post on this subject, or it was on our avatar photos...

I hate my name, and I’ve been asking for 40 years to be called Coco. The letter carrier, the bank for cheques etc know and that is not a problem.

From time to time there are still clever little ones who ask me my name, they did not understand anything so I tell them that I forgot it... 🙊

Coco

• Enjoyed 7

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

3 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I grew up in North Canton, Ohio, about 3 miles from the Football Hall of Fame where EVERYONE  lives and breaths football. Upon graduating from high school and knowing I wanted to become a Veterinarian, I had just one choice,  to attend The Ohio State University. From the minute I stepped on campus, my passion for  football grew even more. Hence the "buckeye" aspect of my screen name. After graduation, life took me to Minnesota, where I practiced medicine  for about 40 years, working on cows, cats, dogs, donkeys and about every other creature alive. Hence the addition of Minn in front of buckeye. Even though I lived in this state for many many years, I still am a rabid fan of football, especially Ohio State football. As a way to educate Minnesotans on what a buckeye is, I planted buckeyes surrounded by blue spruce 20 some years ago Google Earth can now capture it clearly. So that is my story! GO OSU from a buckeye fan in Minnesota!!!!!!!

DSC_0317.thumb.JPG.eacbb3204327f6fc3439f19fd3e9cd7c.JPG

I grew up just west of Canton and as another Buckeye fan, think Minnbuckeye is an amazing name!

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

On 12/13/2023 at 11:43 PM, Opabinia Blues said:

Opabinia regalis is among my favorite Cambrian weirdos. It’s a dinocaridid, and so probably a stem-arthropod but who knows. It’s an animal from earth’s angsty experimental days, a dead clade, and I love himb for it.

My original name was OpabiniaBoogaloo, because I was envisioning the boogaloo dance being done by Opabinia and thought it was silly. I got the idea when I saw someone refer to a biological radiation (can’t remember which one) as “The Cambrian Part Two: Electric Boogaloo.” Little ignorant me didn’t know that “Boogaloo” had very negative political connotations in some contexts, so being horrified to hear this I had the mods change my name 🫢

(Fill in the blank) part 2 Electric Boogaloo is a reference to an unnecessary sequel. Boogaloo on its own has no negative connotations. Combining it with Boogaloo Boys or Boogaloo Movement, sure absolutely negative. But honestly I increasingly have heard it used less and less by them, especially after Jan 6th prosecutions started rolling. I think using Boogaloo as you did was fine .

On 12/14/2023 at 3:34 AM, mr.cheese said:

I love cheese, friends call me mr cheese.

As a Yorkshireman my favourite cheese is Wendsleydale.

I also adore cheese as my profile states.

As a Welshman, I love Caerphilly, but all non-processed cheese is delicious, Wensleydale is yummy, but perhaps Stilton is my favourite today.

Oh, I am Tidgy's Dad because wifey and I do not have any human children and adopted a Greek tortoise as our daughter. Testudo graeca graeca are called Greeks as their shell pattern is supposed to resemble Greek mosaics, but they occur in Morocco, bits of Algeria, and southern Spain.  She is called Tidgy because wifey took the initials of the Latin name "Tgg" and got a bit confused, accidentally changing the first g to a d. We liked the name and she was very tiny - tidgy indeed, at the time. And I'm her proud Dad.

Baby1.thumb.jpg.edb590760640aeaca20328a7d496f141.jpg

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • Enjoyed 16

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

13 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I also adore cheese as my profile states.

As a Welshman, I love Caerphilly, but all non-processed cheese is delicious, Wensleydale is yummy, but perhaps Stilton is my favourite today.

Oh, I am Tidgy's Dad because wifey and I do not have any human children and adopted a Greek tortoise as our daughter. Testudo graeca graeca are called Greeks as their shell pattern is supposed to resemble Greek mosaics, but they occur in Morocco, bits of Algeria, and southern Spain.  She is called Tidgy because wifey took the initials of the Latin name "Tgg" and got a bit confused, accidentally changing the first g to a d. We liked the name and she was very tiny - tidgy indeed, at the time. And I'm her proud Dad.

Baby1.thumb.jpg.edb590760640aeaca20328a7d496f141.jpg

Caerphilly is a very similar cheese! I always knew there was a reason I liked your general demeanour on here!

Have you tried Cambozola? Its a brie but blue? A really creamy stilton, lovely!

How old is tidge by the way? 

• Enjoyed 1

13 minutes ago, mr.cheese said:

Caerphilly is a very similar cheese! I always knew there was a reason I liked your general demeanour on here!

Have you tried Cambozola? Its a brie but blue? A really creamy stilton, lovely!

How old is tidge by the way? 

Yes, yummy.

For the unitiated, Cambozola is a sort of cross between Camembert and Gorgozola which are very diifferent types of cheese but both delicious in their own ways.

We don't have an exact hatch date for Tidgy, but she was a few months old when we acquired her. She was about a year old in the photo shown above.

We have recently celebrated her twelth birthday, but that's based on her moving in with us, so she's about 12 and a half.

Alert.thumb.jpg.386301d97a19f14bf1007246b776f5f4.jpg

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • Enjoyed 6

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@Tidgy's DadThere is talk of us visiting Morocco in the not too distant future. I can see a cheese night in the offing!

That is a fair length of time you have had the pleasure of tidgy!

A good child to have, not to helpful with carrying the shopping from the car mind!

• Enjoyed 1

12 minutes ago, mr.cheese said:

@Tidgy's DadThere is talk of us visiting Morocco in the not too distant future. I can see a cheese night in the offing!

That is a fair length of time you have had the pleasure of tidgy!

A good child to have, not to helpful with carrying the shopping from the car mind!

You would be most welcome.

Not that the cheese selection here is quite as varied as in the UK.

A friend of mine was once staying in a hotel and asked if they had a cheese board.

"Of course!", replied the waiter, affronted and promptly brought it out, quite proud of the selection.

Plastic Cheddar ( I went to school in Cheddar), Edam and Laughing Cow cheese triangles.

Sigh.

No, Tidgy helps very little around the house, though carrying the shopping from the car would be tricky.

I don't drive and Fes Medina is the largest pedestrianised urban area in the world. 9,600 streets and no cars.

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Fun thread!

When I was a child, I often fantasized about discovering a real, living and breathing dinosaur. So when I learned that birds are in fact living and breathing dinosaurs, I was delighted.

I later wrote and illustrated a children’s story about the connection between birds and dinosaurs (in Dutch). On the same topic, I also initiated and worked on an episode of a nationwide Dutch educational tv show for kids, and I wrote a popular science article about it for natural history museum Naturalis :)

Edited by BirdsAreDinosaurs
Typo
  • Enjoyed 4

46 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

You would be most welcome.

Not that the cheese selection here is quite as varied as in the UK.

A friend of mine was once staying in a hotel and asked if they had a cheese board.

"Of course!", replied the waiter, affronted and promptly brought it out, quite proud of the selection.

Plastic Cheddar ( I went to school in Cheddar), Edam and Laughing Cow cheese triangles.

Sigh.

No, Tidgy helps very little around the house, though carrying the shopping from the car would be tricky.

I don't drive and Fes Medina is the largest pedestrianised urban area in the world. 9,600 streets and no cars.

Well we shall see if I can smuggle some cheese over!

I had no idea about the large pedestrian area! Makes me want to visit more!

• Enjoyed 1

On 12/18/2023 at 3:42 AM, Baking Geologist said:

Mine is simple. My degrees are in geology but I also M a hobby bread baker. IMG_4853.thumb.jpeg.0500352ddff93d24810a0faa4dc94816.jpegIMG_3465.thumb.jpeg.368b476a241483dd2d748a01683b7cb9.jpeg

Would you like my address?! 

Also Im sure there must be a joke about rock buns in there somewhere!

• Thank You 1

My wife and I named our older son, Marco, after me.  I've been collecting fossils for over 50 years.  Marco Jr. started collecting fossils in diapers and has been collecting fossils for over 44 years.  Marco Jr. is a much better collector than I am, and has collected more places than I have.  I missed a lot of fossil trips with my sons because I just couldn't get off from work.  We both had/have different collecting friends (although we did/do collect a lot together) because of our age difference and living in different states.  People started to misidentify us, both in person and in internet fossil groups, although I'm mostly collecting microfossils now, and he is mostly collecting macro fossils.  So to avoid confusion, I go by Marco Sr. and Marco Jr. just uses Marco.

A picture of me and Marco Jr. fossil collecting along Calvert Cliffs, Maryland, many years ago.

9286_865723970165228_1122386040336228693_n.jpg.ee51f5ca72535bd3dab4cb0eb9afb21b.jpg

Marco Sr.

Edited by MarcoSr
added picture
  • Enjoyed 9

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

My last name is Scott. My name, in fact, is Brian Scott. Check it and see hah, like…that song…that I don’t even really like. But I needed a Scott pun. Picture is one of the first semi complete trilobites I ever found, a tiiiiiiiiiiiny odontopleurid. Mainly I keep it as my image because I just like the picture (composition, color, lighting) and I’m hesitant to change a user image after having used it for a while because I personally associate the regulars amongst you with your profile pic. When you change it, you disappear to me. You cease to exist. (I’m exaggerating, you’re lovely folks. Some of you)

• Enjoyed 7