Antique Lithographs of Prehistoric Animals

Bjohn170

I recently got these antique lithographs that were made in about 1910, that are from a rare set of trading cards about dinosaurs, prehistoric and strange animals by Heinrich Harder. On the back is information about the animal by naturalist William Bölsche. (I don’t speak German so I have no clue what they say) I absolutely love the artwork and plan to get a couple more. I thought you all would find them interesting as well!2CD468EC-33A0-4559-9F8C-BC54CEC2B66B.thumb.jpeg.4b687d4641ba1bc03cf92bce8ce3dfcf.jpeg6720935B-6D9B-4576-B2A0-3EF95B22D9F6.thumb.jpeg.74d7969b2df47215beaf8b79dbeae24c.jpegD7902189-DDFF-4F7E-8189-B578323B8F8D.thumb.jpeg.7d68bf019ba45c7a5bbf5d7442fac6cd.jpeg7BBD61C7-C2D4-428C-B0A5-4EFD56D76912.thumb.jpeg.9045a111bef822d976211e9f12258860.jpeg

• Enjoyed 15

Really nice :envy:

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Thank You 1

Lovely lithographs! I have two lithographs of Hesperornis regalis and Archegosaurus next to my desk.

• Thank You 1

I really want to go to the Aquarium Berlin  to see  Heinrich Harder's mosaic and relief works. 

Also there is a great thread on TFF  

berlin-aquarium-triceratops.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

I really want to go to the Aquarium Berlin  to see  Heinrich Harder's mosaic and relief works. 

Also there is a great thread 

• 3 weeks later...

The Dinotherium

A primeval elephant with downwards pointing tusks

The tuks of our elefants, that yield the priceless ivory, have been from old been objects of dispute for the learned.

As is well known they sit in the upper jaw and growing turn upwards in a proud curve. They used to be thought of as abnormously enlarged canines growing out of the mouth, until it was realized that they are in fact giant incisors. Biggest astonishment must have been aroused when in 1835 at Eppelsheim near Darmstadt was excavated the skull of a primeval elefant measuring more than one meter in length, where the tusks inversely grew from the lower jaw and turned downwards accordingly. Because the remaining bones of the skeleton would not turn up at first one could not initially decide to acknowledge the mysterious creature as a real elephant, guessing it was a seacow instead, a mammal wearing fins. Finally after long years a complete skeleton was discovered at another place, after that first skull had got lost during transport to England, and now the whole turned out to be a very big genus of elephant. It was called "terrible beast" or Dinotherium. This giant had lived in the middle tertiary time in Europe and Eastindia. His peculiar tusks he may have used in a similar manner to break branches in the primeval forest like our living elephants, although their position in relation to the trunk was not as favorable. Although he was not a seacow, he will have enjoyed a bath. Incidentally, newest research has demonstrated that the real seacows are nothing other than primeval elephants completely adapted to aquatic life.

• Enjoyed 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

27 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

Although he was not a seacow, he will have enjoyed a bath.

What an excellent sentence :heartylaugh:

• I Agree 1