Tooth Cleaning Question

Bjohn170

I found this gorgeous crocodile tooth along the Calvert Cliffs and it looks like it has some strange white staining on it.

Rinsing it with warm soapy water doesn’t seem to do anything.

Is there a good way to clean off the stains or is that just how the tooth is.

Thank you!

CA416758-96C9-4EB0-A4BD-F63D6B55F04A.jpeg

6FC935A9-C3D1-4D18-A921-18AE51010B34.jpeg

4306F55E-1B7C-4DDC-AAED-B44DD672DC69.jpeg

Were it mine, I would get a soft toothbrush, dip it in vinegar and scrub and rinse it several cycles while keeping a closely observant eye on the tooth's reaction as the staining dissolves.

With dips in clean water between and after the final cycle.

Now let's wait hear from an expert who agrees or says " DON'T do that , you'll dissolve the tooth!"

• I found this Informative 1

Is the white material on the surface of the tooth? If so, it may be able to be removed. If not, it could be weathering of the enamel. It is very common for enamel to weather white and there's not much you can do about that.

• I Agree 1

Like @Ptychodus04 said if it’s the enamel that’s discolored you can’t do anything. Except maybe consolidant. As the staining wasn’t there when it was wet. Sometimes consolidant will imitate tge colors when wet.

did you just soak it or gently brush it with a tooth brush in water? I’d try that first. If it’s something calcerous dilute vinegar might help, but be very careful as that can ruin the enamel. I’d drop it or brush the vinegar on the target areas then brush straight off with water. Then soak in water just in case.

Lovely tooth!