Semi-micro fossils (echinoid, shell, bryozoans, others) from Aireys Inlet, Victoria, Australia (Oligocene)

Oli_fossil

Hi all,

Following up from my previous thread (https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/139153-sea-urchins-sand-dollars-and-brachiopods-aireys-inlet-victoria-australia/), I returned to the same site (Aireys Inlet, Victoria, Australia) and closely inspected the fine, freshly eroded material on the sandstone platform/overhang (presuming ~20-25Mya), finding a number of interesting semi-micro fossils (1-5mm in size). Would appreciate any thoughts and ID!

Will post in separate posts for clarity. First off, this beautiful little echinoid, ~3mm in diameter:

IMG_9971.jpg

IMG_9968.jpg

IMG_9972.jpg

Edited by Oli_fossil
  • Enjoyed 5

No idea on this one - very regular ovoid shape with distinct "tick-shaped" groove, and layer lines reminiscent of what one finds on a cuttlefish bone, ~5mm long:

IMG_0001.jpg

• Oli_fossil changed the title to Semi-micro fossils (echinoid, shell, bryozoans, others) from Aireys Inlet, Victoria, Australia (Oligocene)

5, 6 and 9 look like starfish ossicles. 4 and 7 are foraminifera. Your shell is a brachiopod valve and the echinoid might be Fibularia.

• I found this Informative 4

Yes to bryozoan for 11.

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, oyo said:

12 most likely another Isididae. Other photographs are necessary, lateral shots.

Thanks - will try, I was having trouble balancing it vertically to get the other angle

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

5, 6 and 9 look like starfish ossicles. 4 and 7 are foraminifera. Your shell is a brachiopod valve and the echinoid might be Fibularia.

Thank you for the IDs! I had no idea starfish ossicles looked like that!

13 hours ago, oyo said:

12 most likely another Isididae. Other photographs are necessary, lateral shots.

IMG_0159.jpeg

Also found this little thing - smooth, with a squareish cross-section

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpeg