Turritellas, other conlinoceras ammonites

Shaun-DFW Fossils

I’m still stuck on my “deep dive” in the Tarrant formation lately, adding a few more small ammonites, some pet wood and some nice plates of turritella. Tarrant County TX

IMG_0874.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

IMG_0877.jpeg

IMG_0878.jpeg

IMG_0879.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

More nice sized-ammonites, love the huge ones but seems a bit hard to store too many of those

• I Agree 2

Snow, ice, flooding rain,  nothing stops Shaun in his fossil quest.  It's a terrible addiction isn't it :)  Tarrant formation is one of the few around here I haven't hunted, and there's no point in doing it now :P Your finding great stuff!

Edited by Lone Hunter
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Lone Hunter said:

Snow, ice, flooding rain,  nothing stops Shaun in his fossil quest.  It's a terrible addiction isn't it :)  Tarrant formation is one of the few around here I haven't hunted, and there's no point in doing it now :P Your finding great stuff!

Haha indeed, though I’m always finding some excuse to get outside anyway! I do get far more injuries than when I was just chasing snakes, even with bites from the nonvenomous ones..

Ever been bit by baby diamond back water snakes? Aggressive little suckers they come at you and when they bite they don't let go.  

• I Agree 1

11 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Ever been bit by baby diamond back water snakes? Aggressive little suckers they come at you and when they bite they don't let go.  

I scared my grandmother because I got bitten by a 5 footer that left my arm bleeding due to the anticoagulants in their saliva. It didn’t hurt, it just bled..I think my smile must have calmed her a bit but she was afraid I was hurt. lol! Now I walk that same spot on top of the Goodland formation and find fossils that don’t bite 

• Enjoyed 1

I went back to my same “regular” spot shown in the original post and found another handful of conlinoceras tarrantense ammonites. One of them was a broken larger ammonite, but the broken larger section came right off and revealed a complete looking (though incomplete in actuality) smaller ammonite with lots of visible calcite. Some of these will be sliced, others prepared whole. 

I have a system when it comes to visiting these creeks:

1) visit at least 2-3 days (or more if it’s a really hard rain) after it rains so water levels are down, this reveals freshly eroded areas and ammonites that either got washed out or fell into the creek

2) come back when water levels are lower to check deeper pools that weren’t yet visible at the bottom

3)either really hard rain or drought can kill off algae that may be covering some good fossils. If you have tips, I’m interested!

IMG_0935.jpeg

IMG_0936.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3