Beyond Imagining: Finding "Gracie" the Upper/Middle Turonian Russellasaurina Four-Meter-Long Complete & Fully-Articulated Basal Mosasaur

LSCHNELLE

"Gracie" the mosasaur was finally freed from her 90 million year old South Bosque Member of the Eagle Ford Shale "prison" on February 1.  Partly exposed before her discovery on Fossil Day 2023, she is four meters long, complete, and fully articulated - although part of her tail and trunk washed downstream on October 5, 2023.  A good part of that float has been recovered. A trip report is attached as a PDF.  Thanks go out to @Jared C, @JohnJ, @GPayton@Mikrogeophagus, my wife Susie, daughter Angela, Stephen Kruse, and twelve other family, friends, and neighbors who helped - especially Dr. Mike Polcyn of SMU who is receiving Gracie as a donation for research.  The skull still needs to be prepped and revealed as to what subfamily, genus, and species she is.  That may take many months.

My advice to prospective fossil hunters:   keep checking out your active fossil sites - especially those subject to heavier erosion.  You just never know what might pop out!

ExposedSpineLine.thumb.jpg.d942c0bdc8f803652f8b6175f44bce64.jpg

Link to PDF file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RyFiDksNXU78YbPqxtLLvsgANbgH4uYo/view?usp=sharing

GRACIE THE TURONIAN BASAL MOSASAUR (FINAL) REDUCED & SECURED.pdf

Edited by LSCHNELLE
Name correction
  • I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 26

• LSCHNELLE changed the title to Beyond Imagining: Finding "Gracie" the Upper/Middle Turonian Russellasaurina Four-Meter-Long Complete & Fully-Articulated Basal Mosasaur

Wow that's an amazing discovery!  I had no knowledge of this so glad I caught this post, gotta love Texas :ammonite01:

• Thank You 1

Nice report! Was awesome to see some new photos, especially what rear paddle! Can't wait for the rest of that thing to get prepped. Looks super promising.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Awesome report Lee. Well worth the read, and I like the classic @Uncle Siphuncle-esque trip report style.

This find may prove to be among the most impressive mosasurs ever found in Texas, even North America or the world. That fact that BEFORE any prep shes already demonstrated gut contents, perfect articulation, and limbs (very rare for mosasaur fossils), all while being a rare, basal specimen, is incredible. The grandiosity of this find cannot be overstated. I cannot WAIT to see what prep reveals, and I'm glad I could repay the effort to you for helping us with the "Olive" mosasaur. 

(Aso, quick edit - my friend who came down to help early on is named Jake, not Josh. No sweat, too many dang J-names)

Edited by Jared C
  • Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Lee,  what a stunning discovery!  I truly wish my schedule had been more forgiving so I could have helped you, Jared and the rest of your team.  What incredible effort and determination!  Great documentation and coordination with Dr. Polcyn.  I can't wait until it's prepped.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree with all of the above enthusiastic comments and would add my admiration for a job well done and the fantastic teamwork! Please keep us posted regularly on developments.

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

What an incredible find, and even more remarkable recovery! Bravo to you for marshalling all of the resources necessary to save this significant fossil (and to all of the eager volunteers who helped.)

• Thank You 1

Nice find and write up

• Thank You 1

That's incredible, congratulations. I can't wait to hear more about it

• Thank You 1

Amazingly incredible find. Kudos to you for getting everyone involved that you did and making sure it was properly removed and then contributed for research. 

• Thank You 1

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

I just finished delivering the last two casts and miscellaneous bags of Gracie to SMU. It will likely take some time before they start to prep her. But I'll keep you updated.

CaudalVertebrateColumn10112023.thumb.jpg.4b9a40757a8c5e56bce4dd337d6077b7.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 2

Fantastic report and what an unbelievable opportunity and excavation. I just recently excavated a 3 foot diameter turtle from a creek and I thought that was hard work!  I also cannot wait to see what comes of Gracie. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

What a great thread. Always nice coming a little late to these, like having a bunch of episodes on a great tv show lined up to watch.

Great job salvaging this amazing fossil in difficult conditions. An adventure you will fondly recall for years to come! 

look forward to seeing it prepped 

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

The photos of the vertebrae inline with the impressions of more vertebrae are out of this world! What a fantastic find and group effort. It really does take a village, as they say. It's also very nice that you got so many people involved. These will be lasting memories for all of you. Can't wait to hear more about the find. Thanks for the report, it was a nice long read.

• I Agree 1

Sorry for arriving late to the party, guys! But, my god, what a find and what an adventure! Also, I never realised the depth of logistics involved in an operation like this! Great work, everyone, on this truly significant discovery! :JustCuz_clapping:

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Congratulations on getting it all out! What an awesome find. Will be anxiously awaiting prep updates!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

A bit late to the game here, but what a journey! A very incredible find that will make a notable contribution to existing knowledge on early mosasaurs. I am excited to see what comes of the final prep work and to read any papers that are written on this breathtaking fossil.

• I Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Update: We are planning to align the four main matrix casts on a 12 ft long counter and open them up on April 27th. We will begin with the largest cast (head, paddles, and lung)! It will be a nice birthday present for Dr. Polcyn. I believe that @Jared C and Stephen Cruse will be there at the opening along with my wife Susie and I. I'll try to snap some pictures if that's okay and post them here. It's going to take a lot of prep to reveal the best parts of Gracie. But, the matrix is fairly soft (except for the tail). So hopefully it won't take too long.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6
  • I Agree 1

Can’t wait to see the pics! I’m jealous of everyone that gets to see the opening!

• Enjoyed 1

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

LOL! Me too.

• Enjoyed 2

• 2 weeks later...

20240427_134345_copy_1134x2016.thumb.jpg.a2aa70af289261ce079b296e1b6a95d5.jpgWe started prep work today on the skull and upper body cast. I will share more pictures when it is the right time. But here is an early picture of the group including Jared, Stephen, Professor Polcyn and myself. My wife Susie is taking the picture and all five of us participated in opening the cast and beginning the prep work!

• Enjoyed 4