Bones and a bonus scale(?) ID, Peace River, Florida 26/12/23

citronkitten

Back again! It's too much fun figuring things out. I'm running out of shadowboxes, though, so will have to wait before tackling my next batch. 

1. 2x unknown metacarpals/metatarsals as identified by our guide. Both are 'spongy'. 

uknown toe bone2 a.jpg

unknown toe bone2 b.jpg

unknown toe bone b.jpg

unknown toe bone c.jpg

uknown toe bone a.jpg

2. A vertebra of some sort? I only have this one and a confirmed snake vertebra (definitely not similar to this), so I haven't looked much into distinguishing types of vertebrae. The rings on the inside are pretty clear, which is cool. 

unknown vertebra a.jpg

unknown vertebra b.jpg

EDIT: while in the process of doing some research for our next fossil outing in the UK, I ran across a photo which is shockingly similar to mine - all the way across the pond! The website <http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/herne-bay-kent/> about Herne Bay identifies the photo as a "fish vertebra", which at least gives me somewhere to start. Another website said that "rat fish" fossils are common in the area, so possibly that? Google image searches yielded nothing of further use. I would be interested to hear thoughts. unknownvertebrab.thumb.jpg.1d0607ab72319d6edcbbec39d470a9b5.jpg

IMG_3397.png

Edited by citronkitten
Added reference photo

3. Perhaps an ear bone? I was super wrong on the other one (ended up being a weird-looking mud accretion), but this one is much more thin and delicate, so I am more hopeful. The colour came out much better in these photos as it's more brown than black. 

_ear bone b.jpg

_ear bone c.jpg

_ear bone a.jpg

4. I was really proud I even found this one in the sifter! My guide was not excited, however, and just said 'fish scale', but wanted to confirm. 

Absolutely teeny-tiny and thin. There is a central point extending ever-so-slightly upwards shown in image a. 

fish scale a.jpg

fish scale b.jpg

2 hours ago, citronkitten said:

I was really proud I even found this one in the sifter! My guide was not excited, however, and just said 'fish scale', but wanted to confirm. 

It is a brachiopod, possibly Discinisca or Discradisca.

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

It is a brachiopod, possibly Discinisca or Discradisca.

Fantastic, thank you! I was in the wrong zone entirely, so wouldn't have gotten too far. Looking at the amazing quality zoomed-in images, I am liking Discradisca multiradiata because of how the concentric lines thin out as they approach the central point. Such a neat pattern!