Jhanes

• New Members

Hello, 

I’m looking to take my family shark tooth hunting in Gainesville, Fl. Where would be a good place for kids and an easier area to explore and dig up lots of cool things?

any advice is welcomed.

Thank you!

22 hours ago, Jhanes said:

Hello, 

I’m looking to take my family shark tooth hunting in Gainesville, Fl. Where would be a good place for kids and an easier area to explore and dig up lots of cool things?

any advice is welcomed.

Thank you!

Figured you should get at least a  response.  Similar question s was asked 3 years ago...  The response in this thread...Basically,  there are numerous creeks within the city boundaries and actually thread thru housing developments.  Many of the residents got tired of seeing fossil hunters in their back yards and supported local laws to prohibit fossil hunting within the city limits. 

I went to Rattlesnake Creek once and found a few small teeth but that was 10 years ago and I was literally hunting just off of someone's back yard. 

Unless you have a friend who actually lives in Gainesville, and has local fossil hunting knowledge ,  you have to travel long distances . The closest place I hunt is about 60 miles from my home. 

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

There are also paid tours that (supposedly) have permission from certain land owners and whatever permits are needed which run in Gainesville.

(the forum rules just say not to promote one particular group, I believe, someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

That is generally true that we try to focus on the fossils themselves and not the economics of fossils (primarily valuations). On the open boards we try to limit basic advertising for tour groups and the like but our membership is free to pass along suggestions via PM (which I will do now that this topic has been brought to my attention). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 2