Preserving fossil specimens.

ntloux

Based on comments in the Fossil Forum, I am not the only one who has had prized specimens reduced to small piles of rubble (e.g., a prized ammonite and a prized evaporite mineral).  There appears to be at least two types of problems with preservation: 1) reactive iron sulfide oxidation after exposure to atmospheric humidity (marcasite, greigite, mackinawite etc.; pyrite appears to be relatively more resistant), and drying out of specimens (I have some isotelus trilobites that have become more brittle with age).  I was wondering what other members have done to forestall this problem.

I have read that a coating of polyvinyl acetate dissolved in acetone has been successfully used by some.  Have others exercised this option?  What other options are available?  It would be helpful if sources of preservation material supplies were given with other preservation options.  Thank you in advance.  

On 2/19/2024 at 2:23 PM, Bronzviking said:

Nice specimen. I have a pyrite dollar but unfortunately mine is crumbling.

My pyrite dollar is not as brassy as it once was.  I also had a prized ammonite reduced to rubble.  I posted a question on Specimen Preservation.  One source outside of the Forum suggested painting specimens with a solution of PVA dissolved in acetone.  I don't know the best answer.

Just now, ntloux said:

Sorry for your loss.  Many of us have lost specimens to "pyrite disease."  Search the Forum for lots of proposed prophylactic measures.  I've tried some of the simple ones, but they never worked.

• Thank You 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry, Thank you for the feedback.  I am extremely reluctant to "paint" my specimens but I would consider it with some of them.  Did you try the PVA/acetone solution?  If so, I would appreciate any feedback.  Nick

What evaporite minerals did you need help with?

• Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

My beautiful hanksite crystal was reduced to a pile of white powder.  Presumably it absorbed moisture from the atmosphere.  I have not decided to replace it.