Australia, Unknown Fossil

Jack.P

Hello fellow fossil people,

The images are of an unknown specimen collected from a well known fossil site just south of the city Melbourne in Victoria, Australia. I'm finding it difficult to even get a genus let alone species on this. I'm thinking its perhaps some kind of crab species given what appears to be four leg sockets on each side. Another thought regarding ID is a lamp shell, Brachiopoda perhaps in the family Terebratulidae?

The ruler scale in the photos is in millimeters.

Thanks in advance for spending time looking at this and would be happy to answer any questions or provide more photos if needed.

Kind regards,

Jack

20240303_165304.jpg

20240303_165318.jpg

20240303_165507.jpg

20240303_165421.jpg

20240303_165437.jpg

20240303_165342.jpg

20240303_165410.jpg

20240303_165520.jpg

20240303_165424.jpg

20240303_165349.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Its definitly the body of a crab, you can see the leg joints on one side. Which species it is, i dont know.

• I Agree 5

Are good signatures really that important ?

Rather fuzzy likely Spirorbis visible which indicate a marine fossil.

IMG_0296.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

10 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Rather fuzzy likely Spirorbis visible which indicate a marine fossil.

IMG_0296.jpeg

Ah yes good observation, sorry I should have mentioned in my original description that this specimen was recovered from the ocean in shallow water about 1m deep about 5-10 meters from the beach

7 hours ago, Jack.P said:

Hi mamlambo, I do not have facebook so I have not asked the facebook group. Cheers.

I could post the photos on your behalf if you are okay with that and report back what they think

Definitely a decapod/crab. I think the challenge to ID is that it is mostly internal mold? Phosphate or something. You can see traces of shell but most has been worn off while tumbling in the surf.

someone might see enough for an ID though. 

16 hours ago, mamlambo said:

I could post the photos on your behalf if you are okay with that and report back what they think

Yes feel free to post on the FB group I would be interested to see what they have to say.

16 hours ago, shark57 said:

Resembles a spider crab carapace.

14 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Definitely a decapod/crab. I think the challenge to ID is that it is mostly internal mold? Phosphate or something. You can see traces of shell but most has been worn off while tumbling in the surf.

someone might see enough for an ID though. 

Thanks for your reply. Looking at some modern spider crabs I can see the resemblance. The point at one end of the shell really threw me off but I see a similar shape in modern spider crab species.

• 3 weeks later...