Petrified organ is it possible?

JD1969

This certainly looks the part. Has what looks like veins running across it, looks like some type of tissue inside! Just my thought and wishes !

Now I know you guys have beat this topic to death but I had to show this one!

IMG_2021.jpeg

IMG_2022.jpeg

IMG_2024.jpeg

IMG_2023.jpeg

IMG_2027.jpeg

IMG_2026.jpeg

IMG_2025.jpeg

Sorry to disappoint, but this is just a rock with crystalized veins running through it, not organic ones.

• I Agree 4

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Just a rock :)

If it was a petrified organ, that would make massive news headlines

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

It looks the Christmas ham that my grandmom petrified every year. 

• Enjoyed 2

Also keep in mind that organs are primarily water. They tend not to fossilize too often, and almost never in the way they would have appeared in life.

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I think concentrations of iron in fossils have been theorized to represent a heart. 

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Sorry to disappoint, but this is just a rock with crystalized veins running through it, not organic ones.

Isn’t that what a petrified organ would look like? Since the organic matter is replaced by a mineral or crystal structure in a zero oxygen state.

4 hours ago, Jaybot said:

Just a rock :)

If it was a petrified organ, that would make massive news headlines

It would have to start somewhere rite? ;)

29 minutes ago, JD1969 said:

Isn’t that what a petrified organ would look like? Since the organic matter is replaced by a mineral or crystal structure in a zero oxygen state.

It's pyrite, iron sulfide, that forms when there is no free oxygen available to combine with the iron. This doesn't look like it. 

7 hours ago, JD1969 said:

Isn’t that what a petrified organ would look like?

Not quite. If you read through this link, you will quickly notice that fossilized organs and soft parts are extreme rarities and hearts are even rarer than that.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi.

you are of course right, every sensational find has first to get noticed to become news. It happens here on the forum once and again, so you have come to the right place to check imho.

Still, rare things are rare. And so called mineral veins (they are called so for a reason) are not very rare, though sometimes strange and beautiful. https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/669923/view/quartz-veins-in-rhyolite-rock

My cousins gave my uncle a very heartlike looking specimen when he got trough heart surgery.

Statistics say for every really sensational find there are dozens or hundreds that turn out to be something more, well,  common.

When you began with the question "is this a common rock or possibly a petrified organ?" there where some arguments for "organ" because your find has more veinlike structures than the common rock (not counting action stars). With the information about mineral veining you found here, you could go on, looking up examples and finding out if your find still has any signs of being more than a rock with mineral veins. I think you will find it is well inside the spectrum of veined rocks that are not organs, but fun lookalikes.

Best regards,

J

• I found this Informative 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

16 hours ago, Elmo said:

It looks the Christmas ham that my grandmom petrified every year. 

:heartylaugh:

7 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi.

you are of course right, every sensational find has first to get noticed to become news. It happens here on the forum once and again, so you have come to the right place to check imho.

Still, rare things are rare. And so called mineral veins (they are called so for a reason) are not very rare, though sometimes strange and beautiful. https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/669923/view/quartz-veins-in-rhyolite-rock

My cousins gave my uncle a very heartlike looking specimen when he got trough heart surgery.

Statistics say for every really sensational find there are dozens or hundreds that turn out to be something more, well,  common.

When you began with the question "is this a common rock or possibly a petrified organ?" there where some arguments for "organ" because your find has more veinlike structures than the common rock (not counting action stars). With the information about mineral veining you found here, you could go on, looking up examples and finding out if your find still has any signs of being more than a rock with mineral veins. I think you will find it is well inside the spectrum of veined rocks that are not organs, but fun lookalikes.

Best regards,

J

I try also to “learn something about everything and everything about something “ but when I get answers like without reason I find it hard to learn something. Therefore thanks to all who gave reason to what it’s not, rather than simply agreeing with someone else saying “ it’s just a rock”.. It’s the answers with reason the we can “learn something about everything and everything about something “!

Thanks again for your answers with reason! Great Day

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

When it comes to organs, like I said, they are mostly composed of water which rarely fossilizes. Bury a dead raccoon or squirrel in the yard, and check back a year or two later. You'll likely just see bones. What puts me in the non-fossil camp is the absence of bones. Those preserve far more often than organs. ;) 

As a test, bury an apple (which, like an organ, is mostly water). Check on it in a year. It won't resemble an apple. Now multiply the time span by millions of years. What is the likelihood of an organ retaining its features?

From a learning perspective, addressing probability with how fossilization occurs is a learning moment! I would be over the moon if your specimen was a fossilized organ, but I know probability somewhat rules that out for reasons of how fossilization occurs. I can't say this probability p1 that this is not an organ, but pretty close. 

For now, in the learning register, let's explore your stratigraphy a bit more.

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer