My special and lovely amber !

sapezeshk

• New Members

My special and lovely amber !

the picture of the piece of amber you see that i found in an antique store a few years ago.

This piece is together with the scorpion fossil and needle branch. In my own opinion and based on the common tests I did, it has been proven to me that it is amber.

But nevertheless, I would be happy to know the opinions of interested and knowledgeable people about this piece.

I shared the original photos of amber in the green phenomenon effect of fluorescence caused by UV with original photos of the amber piece.

20240505_001048.jpg

20240505_001218.jpg

20240505_001025.jpg

20240505_001246.jpg

I've seen these sold from China a number of times, and even purchased one very similar just as an interesting paperweight. My vote is this is not an actual amber fossil, but manufactured using recent organisms.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree with Kane, this seems a modern reproduction. The scorpion and “tree branch” are too well placed. I also see no other inclusions. It looks too clean for my liking. 

That being said, I’m no amber expert, but I do know a guy. ;)  @Randyw

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• New Members
22 minutes ago, Kane said:

I've seen these sold from China a number of times, and even purchased one very similar just as an interesting paperweight. My vote is this is not an actual amber fossil, but manufactured using recent organisms.

Do you have a comment about the UV test and the fluorescence effect?

Resin can fluoresce as well, so it is not a reliable diagnostic test.

• I found this Informative 2

• New Members
19 minutes ago, Kane said:

Resin can fluoresce as well, so it is not a reliable diagnostic test.

Could you please share a photo of the piece you said you bought earlier?

It might take a while; it is in a box somewhere.

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)

I am pretty sure it's a modern reproduction / fake.

Soak a cotton ball with a little acetone and hold it on the “amber” piece for a while. If it is real amber, nothing will happen. If it is synthetic resin, it will dissolve a little and the spot will become sticky and possibly milky. 
With copal, the test is not conclusive - copal is also dissolved and becomes sticky. 

To distinguish between copal and synthetic resin you have to do the hot needle test:

This is probably the most effective method for determining authenticity. Heat a needle and stick it into the amber (preferably into an existing or drilled hole). The scent of pine is unmistakable. Bear in mind that this is not the pure air you are used to from conifers, but mixed with the burnt smell of other materials (needle, fabric, dirt), but clearly distinguishable from burnt plastic.

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Sorry but It's a replica/manufactured piece. I've seen a few like or similar to this before. The floresce you're seeing isn't right for amber either. I'm at work now but when I get home I can post some pics if what real amber floresce should look like.

• I Agree 1

@sapezeshk

I have to agree with the others. 

Don't think this is genuine. Most likely extant plant & scorpion in resin 

A genuine piece this size and with those inclusions would be very expensive and not likely to be found in an antique store. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Agreed, modern piece. Also agree that one of the most foolproof ways to test is with a hot needle, or, what I usually do, by repolishing a small part of the piece. Once you start polishing with a fine grit sandpaper you can't mistake the smell of real amber if you are used to handling it. Even just drilling a piece for a pendant you will notice right away if it smells right. Keep in mind amber smells a little different depending on where it is from, but it all smells like amber.